Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Montara is a good record. Maybe not great, but quite good. 

Better, sound wise and for the conception, more successful than Ambos Mundos. Harvey Mason was excellent at adapting himself to the Cuban groove, Eddie Marshall much less so.

I have an acceptable version of every album on this, so it's a 'no' from me.  I have about half of the BN Hutch that's not on this, might rectify that given the chance.  Favs are Dialog and Head On, least fav is hard to say since I find much of the '70s stuff is kind of forgettable to me, although I own and am keeping both Montara and Natural Illusions even though I don't think either is very good.  I should get Now just for comparison to other weird use of vocals on BN.  I'd buy the still not issued in full funk date in a flash, I like the 3 cuts I've heard.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I think "Now" is a beautiful album and the previously unissued additional material perhaps even a hair better. I get why it would be excluded here (especially adding another disc to the set) but I would welcome a remastered return to the catalog.

I was planning on ordering this but I see that I have about half the albums on cd and since Bobby Hutcherson isn’t someone I play a lot, I’m going to pass, for now anyway. 

3 hours ago, felser said:

Of the later dates, the mysterious Live at Montreux album with Woody Shaw is spectacular.

Just realized I don't have that and downloaded the flac files from Presto.  $7.  Excellent!

Cover art: https://musicbrainz.org/release/74215367-4638-4c0d-8e84-5a2323c7cd18/cover-art

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

As with a lot of Mosaics I already own all the material on cd or vinyl and not gonna spend 100+ euros for a few bonus tracks. Definitely a pass for me. Leaves me to say that the music is amazing. Bobby Hutcherson was pretty consistent this period in releasing top notch quality jazz music. I love all of these recordings 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:31 AM, jazzbo said:

I think "Now" is a beautiful album and the previously unissued additional material perhaps even a hair better. I get why it would be excluded here (especially adding another disc to the set) but I would welcome a remastered return to the catalog.

Yes, that!  I love the cover too.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:35 AM, JSngry said:

You really hear "Cuban"  in Montara?

I hear Hollywood, not Havana.

The base is Cuban, but of course filtered through Californian influences.

With Bobby Matos, Rudy Calzado, Victory Pantoja, Eddie Cano there is quite some Californian Cuban/Latin prominence on board. 

Edited by mikeweil

On 5/8/2024 at 4:31 AM, jazzbo said:

I would welcome some printed lyrics!

That L.A. Phil album is not bad, really. Besides the Hutch stuff, there's also some dandy Carmen McRae doing some standards with Bill Holman charts and some perfectly nice wallpaper by Earl Klugh. It could have stood a reissue in itself, especially if decent tapes of the whole gig still exist. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I would welcome some printed lyrics!

That L.A. Phil album is not bad, really. Besides the Hutch stuff, there's also some dandy Carmen McRae doing some standards with Bill Holman charts and some perfectly nice wallpaper by Earl Klugh. It could have stood a reissue in itself, especially if decent tapes of the whole gig still exist. 

Was reissued on CD in 2013 in Japan for about five minutes, as usual for those Japanese reissues.

I mean, it's not a lost classic, but it is certainly a pleasant record. I bought the LP a few months years ago,  cheap and on a whim with low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.

Also, recorded in 1977 and released in 1978, it was one of the last releases by the "unbroken" Blue Note label name. I think that Carmen McRae had moved on by then, so maybe she owed them some tracks or something. Bobby had just moved on. Earl Klugh had graduated to the parent UA label, so Blue Note was already running on fumes.

And yet it's not a bad record at all and if there is more Hutch & McRae in the can from that gig, let's have a look!

Somebody?