Teddy Charles

Late

16 hours ago, felser said:

The guy with the glasses in the very front.

16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

That actually was a Teddy Charles session. 

Here is a photo.

1365px-Teddy_Charles.JPG

https://www.jazzwax.com/2008/12/teddy-charles-o.html

Oh, that means it was the same thing when I first saw a picture of Pepper Adams. From the way of playing and the surroundings on gigs and recording sessions I had thought both must be black. Anyway, that´s not the point and both played their ass off. Teddy Charles was very advanced for his time I think. He could play regular mainstream but also got a bit beyond. That strange version of Night in Tunisia from that Lee Konitz-Miles Davis album ! It´s almost atonal and really has some daring voicings. 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/16/2022 at 8:02 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Not to be forgotten

41SXPTD08PL.jpg

Enjoying the heck out of this one last night and on my morning commute now — which I’m only just now getting around to listening to (streaming, unfortunately).

A used CD copy popped up on Dusty Groove for a couple hours yesterday, but already gone — too pricy for me ($25). But it got snapped up quickly, so I guess that’s what the market will bear.

As a plus, there are definitely some moments where Mall’s playing presages (in a good way) some of Mal’s late 60’s and 70’s style — more so than I’ve heard on very many of Mal’s work in the 50’s.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for another one someday (hopefully under $20 if I can).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 2/20/2023 at 3:22 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

As a plus, there are definitely some moments where Mal´s playing presages (in a good way)  some of Mal’s late 60’s and 70’s style — more so than I’ve heard on very many of Mal’s work in the 50’s.

Interesting remark. I also heard some of his playing on some 50´s Prestige albums, it´s different from the usual Prestige pianists like let´s say Red Garland or Wynton Kelly or who was playing piano. 

But the best early Mal I ever heard was on Max Roach´s "Speak Brother Speak". 

On the other hand a few days ago I was a little disappointed when I just listened to one ballad track "These Foolish Things" by Jackie McLean where I didn´t like Mal´s piano intro very much. 

By the way: I have read some interesting remarks from you on fashion and style, about wearing ties and so on, but couldn´t find it anymore, it must have been last week, I don´t remember on what topic....

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Still totally diggin' Tentet! I appreciate the recommendation@

One of my faves!

I talked to the bari sax player George Barrow on it about it when I used to work six nights a week with him playing shows. He said that Jimmy Raney used to act like a tough guy during the sessions, so nobody would bug him about his reading issues!