How's the weather?

Pretty much the same story here in most of the U.S. 

Hotter than hell, no rain. I chose a bad year to rehabilitate my yard. 

I read in the Washington Post that so far this is the hottest summer the northern hemisphere has ever recorded. And some place in Pakistan recently recorded the highest temperature in history. 

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

An even 100F in Sevilla right now. Cerveza time.

When I lived in Madrid in the late 60s, they used to call the middle of July to the middle of August, “de virgen a virgen.” It was the hottest time of the year. You could only go out in the morning. The afternoons were insufferable. 

Brad, that same period in Southwest Florida was quite similar. People would simply disappear. Then when the extreme stuff broke you’d see your neighbors again, and they’d all say the same thing: “It was just too damn hot to go outside!”

Those were the days when you’d have to come inside from simply checking the mail, and change your clothes...

Scott, Florida is one state I can’t imagine living in full-time.  Summers must be beastly. This week a friend of mine was trying to convince to move there.  No way.  We were thinking a few years about California but with the fires, the droughts and now the 100 degree plus weather, my wife says no way.  

7 hours ago, Brad said:

Scott, Florida is one state I can’t imagine living in full-time.  Summers must be beastly. This week a friend of mine was trying to convince to move there.  No way.  We were thinking a few years about California but with the fires, the droughts and now the 100 degree plus weather, my wife says no way.  

If you wanted to be among your own (NYC metro people) then you'd have to move to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach but the further north you go the worst of the summer is less and less of the calendar. Not saying it won't be brutal, just that the brutality doesn't last as long into Fall. The panhandle has actual, legitimate seasons with winter featuring many cold snaps, some pretty severe  (20s for many nights in a row).

It's also interesting to have learned that even south of Gainesville there are a lot of differences in weather patterns.  Tampa dries out earlier than south Florida and gets into the rainy season later. Where/when it rains is different too.

Yeah, cold fronts in Florida tend to die out right around the I-4 corridor. I grew up in Mount Dora up in Lake County, and the weather there was dramatically difference than when I lived down on the southwest coast. Up there we’d actually tend to cool down a little more in the fall and winter. 

Though I can confirm that the southwest coast has well more than it’s fair share of northeasterners. They used to flock down and stay from Thanksgiving to Easter (they’re called Snowbirds), then after Easter it was almost ghost town-ish. And all the license plates went back to being from Florida. 

Unfortunately, some time in the mid to late  90’s they stopped going home. Now the overcrowding on both coasts is out of control. 

I'm not at all clear on how the dry season equates to high humidity. Meteorology wise it just doesn't fit.

I also have to say that in Naples, where Mom has lived for almost 4 years, there is still a distinct snowbird population and "season" still lasts until Easter or so.  Naples traffic is way lighter in the off-season and much of those snowbirds go home to the Midwest, not northeast. The percentage of NY/NJ/CT etc license plates is way lower than in southeast Florida, even if more northeasterners are starting to move there instead of Miami.

Naples popularity just started about 25 years ago, and it’s far more affluent than the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda/Murdock area I lived in for 20 years. 

There may be more New Yorkers on the Atlantic Coast, but the Gulf Coast isn’t doing poorly in that department. 

Fun fact: when I first moved to Charlotte County in 1980 the population was right at 30,000. Today it is 182,000. 

And the town of Murdock didn’t even exist. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/07/17/saharan-dust-extreme-heat/

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Saharan dust that has blanketed most of the DFW Metroplex with a brown haze in the air is expected to stick around for a few more days.

CBS11 Meteorologist Jeff Ray has been tracking the dust and said, “Things will get a little bit better, but probably not until Thursday or Friday will we get back to where we actually have some blue skies.”

Affecting us here in Houston, too.