Still non reissued label?

Vincent, Paris

What's the story on the lable Mainstream?? The only Mainstream titles I know of are several Blue Mitchell discs from the early 70's (at least one or two include Joe Henderson).

I'm pretty sure Minstream hasn't ever been released on CD anywhere (not even in Japan??). Can anybody confirm this??

Was this label only active in the 70's?? Who else was on Mainstream?? Other than the Blue Mitchells -- what's worth having from the Mainstream catalog??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I was thinking of the French Black and White (or is it Blue?) label.

Black and White was a series of RCA classics sides that was released by French RCA in the '70s. All the material has been reissued on a variety of labels including the Chronogical Classics.

Black and Blue is a different French label which was very active in the '70s too. Most of their sessions have been reissued on CD most of them with added material.

There is a list of their releases on the British CrazyJazz site:

http://www.crazyjazz.co.uk/Labels/B/BLACK&BLUE.htm

You know what, I was thinking of the French Black and White (or is it Blue?) label.

If you were indeed thinking of Black & Blue, the label has a pretty steady reissue program, which Alan Lankin has noted on his site. Among the albums reissued in the past year is a Willis Jackson/Groove Holmes session, and a really fine Lonnie Smith trio date.

What's the story on the lable Mainstream??  The only Mainstream titles I know of are several Blue Mitchell discs from the early 70's (at least one or two include Joe Henderson).

I'm pretty sure Minstream hasn't ever been released on CD anywhere (not even in Japan??).  Can anybody confirm this??

Was this label only active in the 70's??  Who else was on Mainstream??  Other than the Blue Mitchells -- what's worth having from the Mainstream catalog??

Sony owns the Mainstream catalog, and a few of their titles have been repackaged on Columbia (rather than using the Mainstream imprint)--some Sarah Vaughan & Carmen McRae, but for the most part they're sitting on the catalog which apparently Columbia bought only to acquire the first Big Brother & the Holding Company album with Joplin. Charles McPherson did a couple of nice dates for Mainstream. And McRae & Vaughan were really in their prime during their Mainstream stint. I doubt you'll ever see Sony doing anything with the Mitchell or McPherson dates, but a label like Collectables should really lease them.

Mainstream was Bob Shad's label. Shad was the producer of so many great sessions for EmArcy.

As far as Xanadu and Onyx are concerned, right now the back door to acquiring the material digitally is through Emusic--I believe they have basically done mp3 rips from pristine lp copies. Better than nothing.

As someone mentioned above, 2 excellent Stitt Cobblestones (Tune-Up! & Constellation) ended up on 32 Jazz as Endgame Brilliance, but the Cobblestone catalog had ended up with Muse long before. If I remember correctly, Cobblestone was Schlitten's imprint with Buddah, but I guess he had rights to the catalog, as he brought it over to Muse when he co-founded the label with Joe Fields. Then somewhere along the line Schlitten & Fields had a falling out and Schlitten founded Xanadu, and apparently the Cobblestone masters stayed with Muse.

Edited by Pete C

Mainstream was Bob Shad's label. Shad was the producer of so many great sessions for EmArcy.

As far as Xanadu and Onyx are concerned, right now the back door to acquiring the material digitally is through Emusic--I believe they have basically done mp3 rips from pristine lp copies. Better than nothing.

As someone mentioned above, 2 excellent Stitt Cobblestones (Tune-Up! & Constellation) ended up on 32 Jazz as Endgame Brilliance, but the Cobblestone catalog had ended up with Muse long before. If I remember correctly, Cobblestone was Schlitten's imprint with Buddah, but I guess he had rights to the catalog, as he brought it over to Muse when he co-founded the label with Joe Fields. Then somewhere along the line Schlitten & Fields had a falling out and Schlitten founded Xanadu, and apparently the Cobblestone masters stayed with Muse.

Mainstream was an extension of Bob Shad's earlier Time label.

Cobblestone was the brainchild of Joe Fields, then marketing director for Buddah. Joe had broken into the record biz as salesman for Bob Weinstock at Prestige. I met him in this capacity in the mid '60s. Anyway, Joe convinced Buddah to start a "Prestige-like" sub and he brought Don Schlitten in to produce. When Joe left Buddah he negotiated some sort of deal to take most of the Cobblestone masters with him. He then started Muse with Schlitten as a minority partner. After a couple of years Joe and Don had a messy "divorce" complete with a "years long" series of lawsuits over the ownership of certain Muse and Onyx masters. This was not settled until the mid '80s. First evidence of the settlement was the Xanadu release of an unissued Muse session by Terry Gibbs and Joe started releasing some of the old Onyx stuff.

Was there a Bob Brookmeyer-Clark Terry releawse on Mainstream?

Maybe even two?

There used to be a complete Mainstream discography page online that linked from Mike Fitzgerald's site, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore (the discography, not Mike's site).

Going back into the fifties, there is a whole bunch of really good titles on the Decca-Coral-Brunswick label complex that deserves to see the light of day once more. For instance, on another thread we recently discussed the "Jazz Studio" and "Jazz Lab" series on Decca; and there is one fabulous Bill Holman big band album on Coral that has never been on CD that I am aware of. (John Norris did do a Cadence label LP of this neglected item). There are several rare Tony Scott's on Brunswick, and some fine "west coast" sessions on both Decca ("Hot and Cool") and Coral (Hal McKusick).

Columbia (Sony now) has John Lewis's P.O.V. held hostage .... as well as that wonderful two-LP set of pianists ... what is it called "They Played Bebop" ??? I have forgotten the exact title ....

Also ... Universal needs to delve deeper into the MGM label ... George Shearing (not anthologized.. DAMN!!). Buddy DeFranco (especially that incredibly rare big band session), Helen Merrill, Red Calender, Gigi Gryce, etc.

So much to yearn for .... :wacko:

as well as that wonderful two-LP set of pianists ... what is it called "They Played Bebop" ???  I have forgotten the exact title .... 

I Remember Bebop.

Thanks Pete! This group never fails me...

The 'I Remember Bebop' has been reissued on a double CD by CBS France.

Vincent mentioned that Palo Alto is now put out by Quicksilver, I looked at the site but remain confused, Which releases are Palo Alto? and do they have some kind of wierd generic cover? Or have the real covers just not made it too the site? Otherwise some nice looking stuff there methinks...

Which releases are Palo Alto?

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Labels/paloalto.htm

Several Palo Alto recordings were later released by the labels the artists moved on to. Meredith D'Ambrosio's excellent Little Jazz Bird was put out by Sunnyside, and Blue Note rereleased Diane reeves' Palo ALto recordings.

Holy irrelevant factoid Batman ...

I saw at the bottom of the list that the label was established by Jim Benham in 1981. For those investors out there, that is the same Jim Benham of the now-defunct Benham mutual funds. I know this because the company I worked for in KC, American Century mutual funds, bought him out in 1995. I knew he played the trumpet but had no idea he started the label. Maybe he can take the $50 million we paid him and re-juvinate things!

Anyway, I have a few of the Quicksilver titles, including those by Phil Woods, Pepper Adams, McCoy Tyner and Denny Zeitlin. I think the one by Mal Waldron is also available. I bought mine at CD Universe - you could do a search there for the label to see what else is available.

Eric

The French label Musica was very active during the '70s. They recorded albums by people like Steve Lacy, Mal Waldron, Archie Shepp and others. Pianist/producer Henri Renaud helped produce a series of excellent piano LPs by Al Haig, Jimmy Rowles, Martial Solal, Joe Albany. Don't think any of these have been reissued yet.

Edited by brownie

The French label Musica was very active during the '70s. They recorded albums by people like Steve Lacy, Mal Waldron, Archie Shepp and others. Pianist/producer Henri Renaud helped produce a series of excellent piano LPs by Al Haig, Jimmy Rowles, Martial Solal, Joe Albany. Don't think any of these have been reissued yet.

Based on what I can observe on that list of Musica releases a few albums have been reissued by other labels, such as :

the last two Marc Hemmler are now on Elabeth (including a very fine duet with Ray Brown) ;

Jimmy Gourley's album is also now on Elabeth ;

Philippe Petit's "For All The Life, You Are In My Heart" has recently been reissued by Paris Jazz Corner Productions with new cover and title.

Some other Mainstream lp's of note: a couple of Roy Haynes dates that feature George Adams, also 3 (I think) by Harold Land. I think these have all been reissued in Japan. They were cutouts for quite awhile when I was in college (mid '70's). I also remember seeing, but never hearing, Mainstream dates by Charles Williams that featured Don Pullen.

Someone earlier in this thread wished to find HORO lps at a good price. I have a few HORO lps and I would say they routinely issued crappy, noisy pressings. The founder of the label had a website up sometime ago that was selling lps but if I recall there was a hefty price and a large minimum purchase. I looked quick just now but couldn't find it.