My Mother...

Mary Lou Marsh, my mother, passed away peacefully at around 9:35pm at age 74, with many family members and friends present... I was sitting next to her bed, with a nice tenor sax solo playing in the background when she took her last breath... We thought it only appropriate to have Jazz, the music she loved so much playing in her last hour, so I shmoozed the nurses into finding me a CD player.. while she was still breathing, I played one of her favorite ballads, "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" and held her hand..

Mom had been struggling with small cell cancer of the lungs since she was diagnosed in December of 2002.

She is the one responsible for my love of Jazz and she had an outstanding sense of humor. I was sitting with her last Sunday night at the hospital watching TV... She caught me off guard saying, "That drummer on Conan O'Brien? He really sucks".. Mom always had jazz records playing around the house while I was growing up and also gave me my first drum lesson on the back of an Art Blakey album with a pair of brushes a drummer had left at our house. I was 13 years old at the time.

May this great lady rest in peace..

Edited by randissimo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy,

Having just lost my own mother five weeks ago, I'm deeply sympathetic and so, so sorry to hear of your loss. My mother loved jazz, too, and I dedicated a radio show to her last week. I'm sure friends, family, and others will help you through this difficult period; count those of us here at Organissimo somewhere among them.