All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I didn't know it won any Oscars! Being almost totally out of touch with popular culture. 🙄 Noticed it upcoming at semi-local art house theater and thought it worth a shot. On further reflection, indeed an amazing film. In real time I found it kind of disorienting and other-worldly, but the more I reflect, the more highly I regard it.
  3. See notes 'About the tunes' by Claus Jacoby (ts, as, cl, voc) ... Red Roseland Cornpickers & Keith Nichols & Bent Persson – Red Hot Band. Stomp Off Records – S.O.S. 1153 [1987]
  4. OK (as is often the case) I was wrong. Buchnamm-Moller does list it. However in the index he just refers to it as "A Little Bit South of North Carolina". He confirms all of the above but adds that he got the info from Lee Young. BTW Does anyone have a source for a digital or cd version of the Everybody's Lp?
  5. I just tried to search for that Joe Dixon cassette tape and interview that I mentioned last time, and the search engine doesn't seem to work. I tried to register with the university, but that doesn't seem to work either. Do I have to register with them before I can do a search?
  6. April 26 Ma Rainey - 1886 Jimmy Giuffre - 1926 Jorgen Ingmann - 1925 Francis Lai - 1932 Duane Eddy - 1938 Maurice Williams - 1938 Bobby Rydell - 1942 Gary Wright - 1943 ***** Also a favorite of mine, radio actor Vic Perrin - 1916
  7. Today
  8. Thanks, Niko! Anyway, that he recorded "for" Coronet seems a bit of a stretch.
  9. Abdul Zahir Batin & The Notorious Ensemble – Live At The Jazz Cultural Theatre
  10. IIRC it's not really complete, but rather a collection of what had been previously released as individual albums put into chronological order. If I do remember correctly I wonder if there is more unreleased material. ( just looked at the liner notes and they claim that this is "all known" recordings from the date but I doubt that they had access to the Contemporary vaults.) Nevertheless a great set and I'm just being greedy.
  11. Wish I’d been able to see the actual exhibition, but the catalogue’s the next-best thing:
  12. An amazing film which I thought was richly deserving of its oscar wins, *especially* for sound.
  13. The 10th jubilee anniversary event of the Blue Roseland Orchestra from Göttingen, lead by Claus Jacobi, with international guest bands in 1978, was the beginning of the yearly Göttingen Jazzfestival - Allan Praskin (as) may remember that! Blue Roseland Orchestra – Jubilee. Auviton – AU 2020 A [1978]
  14. I am glad to own it; is it as great as the Turrentine collaborations on BN? Probably not.
  15. I guess when it's complete, Riccardi's 3-volume effort, written, interestingly enough, in reverse order, will be pretty well definitive.
  16. I was reading a somewhat positive review of Jimmy Smith's "Bluesmith" & saw that it has Teddy Edwards on it. I have ever heard this session. Is it worth finding? Has this material ever been out on a legitimate CD release?
  17. I thought it was his Connecticut home we talked about? Brubeck sold that Oakland house ages ago. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/home-decor/a28396899/dave-brubeck-midcentury-connecticut-house/
  18. I remain in touch with the Librarian at Vandy who is in charge (or near the top of the food chain) of the organization of the Schaap archive. He's advised that most (say 70% or so) of the reel to reel tapes have been digitized and digital files returned to Vanderbilt, with about 40 reels needing "mold remediation" yet only one found to be unrecoverable. The total number of tapes is nearly 750. The process requires that digitized recordings be compared against information notated from tape boxes and inserts, for max accuracy of all listings. They also regard the 'boxes and boxes' of Schaap radio shows saved to CDRs as at greatest risk of data loss and it sounds like they are prioritizing digital transfer of those. So I really don't know what kind of timeframe we are looking at for actual release of digitized files into their public Aviary page. But here is a tiny taste, the very first reel that states "WKCR Broadcast from the West End": The Brooks Kerr Quartet live at the West End, January 21, 1974; Personnel: Brooks Kerr, piano, Paul Quinichette, tenor sax, Franc Williams, trumpet, Sam Woodyard, drums, with guests Paul Gonsalves, tenor sax, and Matthew Gee, trombone (last set only); Set list: Perdido -- Gone with the wind -- Broadway -- Sweet Lorraine -- Without a song -- Lady be good -- Blue and sentimental -- Dark eyes -- I cover the waterfront -- Sunday -- Things ain't what they used to be -- Jive at five -- I can't give you anything but love -- Three little words -- Shadow of your smile -- Satin doll -- Milestones -- Caravan. This looks good too: A tenor tribute to Ben Webster at Provincetown Playhouse, December 1, 1973, 8:00-10:30 p.m.; Personnel: Buddy Tate, tenor sax/flute, Art Miller, tenor sax/clarinet, Earle Warren, alto sax, Milt Hinton, bass, Dill Jones, piano, Gene Borst, drums; Set list: Moten swing -- Cottontail -- Gone with the wine -- Perdido -- [Buddy Tate and Milton Hinton reminisce about Ben Webster] -- Blues for Ben -- You're so beautiful -- C jam blues. In a mellotone (the opener) was not recorded. Also includes: Satin doll -- What's new -- Moten swing.
  1. Load more activity