All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Raff - Octet for Strings Op.176 Mozart - Piano Concerto No.14, K.449
  3. You can hear the VOA with Willis Conover again today from here https://mailchi.mp/library/news-from-the-unt-libraries-2-27-2020?e=6b0f138efb They have a lot of material in their archive
  4. New Charles Lloyd

Listening now, great performance from all and in terrific sound quality. Lloyd shines. I hadn't enjoyed the previous Blue Notes as much as his ECM output but this is right up there.
  5. Thank you all my friends. She is doing well.
  6. Late to this but glad to hear it went well. Brad.
  7. Today
  8. If you do buy one or both do be prepared for the PayPal shenanigans mentioned in the other thread about them. It may be worth contacting HJ in advance and arranging to PayPal the funds directly rather than through their basket.
  9. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

Thanks for that ! Shame these aren’t on CD - would prefer that if the audio quality is compromised.
  10. Drops in price Ray Charles $47 New Orleans Big Ol' Box $45
  11. 'Duo Exchange', absolutely. 'Live At Slugs' dependent on your threshold for bootleg quality live recordings - I tend to find these can add to the enjoyment and this is a case in point. But if you're bothered by distant pianos (except when soloing - it's almost as if someone's moving the mic closer!), overly prominent drummers and horns fading in and out then don't go near it. To me it sounds like a live recording ESP rejected on the grounds of SQ . The music's terrific in most parts, warts 'n' all. Nicely packaged. Listening now to the new Charles Lloyd live recording '8', the polar opposite in SQ, gorgeous quality and beautiful music What do you make of 'Legwork' Hutchfan? I've not heard it and didn't realise it was recorded at the same time until I read your blog, so now I'm tempted.
  12. 1987 Japanese/German Impulse! titles

I regularly imported CDs from Japan for my own collection and "32XD" meant that the list price was 3200 yen, not 32,000; likewise, 55XD meant 5500 yen, not 55,000 - a not insignificant difference
  13. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Superb .... "must have" Bruckner 7 performance ....
  14. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

La Stravaganza 12 Concerti
  15. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

I notice HJ’s have got it in stock, along with the ‘Duo Exchange’. Do you recommend them?
  16. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

In the morning .... :
  17. Great to hear. I´m really glad to read those good news. Speedy recovery !
  18. My mistake, sorry. He certainly WAS a character, and his radio shows spinning all that 20s and 30s or 40s dance bands, singers and semi-jazz (but often outright jazz too) made you aware of a lot of artists that you had never heard of before and later knew better where to place them when you came across them in the record stalls. Budding collectors learnt a lot there. Only his "Frenchized" pronounciation of those U.S. artists' names sometimes was a tough nut to crack (particularly at his talking speed ). It took me a while to figure out, for example, that that "Abbé Le Mans" band leader he was talking about actually was Abe Lyman! Same here. Even in the 70s and 80s this WAS an issue, particularly if you tried to catch relatively far away stations on AM and long wave radio that had interesting music shows. Made me quite tolerant of the fidelity of not quite so pristine 78s.
  19. 50 Years Ago

Sesame Street: A big hit among us boys (our little group of jazz fans then) was the version of the theme, done by the Singers Unlimited with Oscar Peterson.
  20. LF Los Angeles Jazz Institute (LAJI) CD

I am perfectly well aware of the difference between fake bidders bidding to net the seller more money and the scenario that you and I described. I described it as ANOTHER reason (i.e. a reason different from shill bidding) why some bids may have gotten out of hand, particularly in the earlier days of eBay. And the risk of accidentally winning an auction at what you yourself normally would not be willing to pay and would not be able to afford in the long run of course was very real. I do not really remember and did not keep track of how far the other bidders went when they raised that "deep pocket" bidder but his winning bids always WERE high. And I do remember that when I tried it myself (because I had been irked a number of times too when I saw that character's name as the starting bidder and realized that "there goes your chance of winning THAT auction too") I cautiously went in $10 instalments and found that even at something like $40 or 50 for a simple (and not exceedingly rare) 50s US car magazine I incredibly enough had not had the leading bid yet. But of course I had taken a look at his bidding history on a number of similar previous auctions. In those days, with actual bidders' names being displayed, things were VERY transparent.
  1. Load more activity