What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I think he's suitably outstanding on Andrew!!

Maybe not as memorable on Blowing In From Chicago but that one is a favorite nonetheless.

Yes, I would agree with you on those two, "Andrew!!!" might be the exception that proves the rule. Generally though, I think this is an interesting case study of someone who grew in a particular hot house, and tended to wilt when transplanted. Outside of Sun Ra, he was not a game-changer.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jib-ml+front.jpeg

MIGHTY LIGHTS - Jane Ira Bloom -1982- Enja. With Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell, and Fred Hersch.

Bloom's first major label recording. She gets off some nice playing, although she tends to cede leader ground too easily. The album probably would have been better without Hersch, who tends to add saccharine to sugar on the balladic material, and goes nowhere on more uptempo numbers. A nice trio (Haden & Blackwell !)outing might have proven more remarkable. Still, I enjoyed Bloom's playing, even if a bit uncertain at times. Saw her recently in NYC and she was fantastic.

jib-ml+front.jpeg

MIGHTY LIGHTS - Jane Ira Bloom -1982- Enja. With Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell, and Fred Hersch.

Bloom's first major label recording. She gets off some nice playing, although she tends to cede leader ground too easily. The album probably would have been better without Hersch, who tends to add saccharine to sugar on the balladic material, and goes nowhere on more uptempo numbers. A nice trio (Haden & Blackwell !)outing might have proven more remarkable. Still, I enjoyed Bloom's playing, even if a bit uncertain at times. Saw her recently in NYC and she was fantastic.

I heard this group play live and Hersch was definitely the weak point.

Gilmore with Elmo Hope is interesting, as is Gilmore with Dizzy Reece, although he's one of those guys who I don't think you can tell how he really was outside of the one place, because he hardly ever was, nor do I see what difference it makes, really. He did what he did where he did it, simple as that. Paul Gonsalves was not quite like that, but almost was. I think if you here the entire scope of his work with Ra, you get a pretty accurate picture of everything he could do, which was a helluva lot, and done pretty damn well.

He had his home, never dismiss the importance of having a home, not everybody does, especially jazz musicians of that time and place. Gigs are not generally good places to look for a home, but bands are, or were.

All I know is that if John Gilmore is playing, I'm listening.

Gilmore with Elmo Hope is interesting, as is Gilmore with Dizzy Reece, although he's one of those guys who I don't think you can tell how he really was outside of the one place, because he hardly ever was, nor do I see what difference it makes, really. He did what he did where he did it, simple as that. Paul Gonsalves was not quite like that, but almost was. I think if you here the entire scope of his work with Ra, you get a pretty accurate picture of everything he could do, which was a helluva lot, and done pretty damn well.

He had his home, never dismiss the importance of having a home, not everybody does, especially jazz musicians of that time and place. Gigs are not generally good places to look for a home, but bands are, or were.

I listen too, just not as impressed with non-Ra performances. My premise is really quite simple: Gilmore plays so much better with Sun Ra than he does elsewhere, it just leads one to wonder why. Was it something with Sun Ra, or something innate to Gilmore. Probably both: Ra's overarching structure, and Gilmore's need to play with people he was friendly with. I don't really know, but find it a curious case.

I listen too, just not as impressed with non-Ra performances. My premise is really quite simple: Gilmore plays so much better with Sun Ra than he does elsewhere, it just leads one to wonder why. Was it something with Sun Ra, or something innate to Gilmore. Probably both: Ra's overarching structure, and Gilmore's need to play with people he was friendly with. I don't really know, but find it a curious case.

That Dizzy Reece LP he's on is stunning. Leeway, I suggest giving it a listen. I don't have a ton of Ra (just never got the bug), so my listening to Gilmore - with La Roca (as badly recorded as that record is), Bley (ditto), Hill, et al. - has been mostly these non-Ra sideman dates, and he's never failed to deliver heavy goods.

That Dizzy Reece LP he's on is stunning. Leeway, I suggest giving it a listen. I don't have a ton of Ra (just never got the bug), so my listening to Gilmore - with La Roca (as badly recorded as that record is), Bley (ditto), Hill, et al. - has been mostly these non-Ra sideman dates, and he's never failed to deliver heavy goods.

I just replayed the CD of that album ("From In to Out"), and while Gilmore does get off one or two good volleys, he's probably the 3rd or 4th most effective person on the album. Not knocking his performance, just saying it doesn't set any new bars for me. But I'll reconsider if I'm being too hard on Gilmore, and give me something to think about when I listen to Sun Ra.

My premise is really quite simple: Gilmore plays so much better with Sun Ra than he does elsewhere, it just leads one to wonder why. Was it something with Sun Ra, or something innate to Gilmore. Probably both: Ra's overarching structure, and Gilmore's need to play with people he was friendly with. I don't really know, but find it a curious case.

Gilmore was neither a bandleader not a freelancer, he was a band player, and Ra's was the band he played in. Different mindset to begin with, and definitely different mindset as time passes. Also, Gilmore with Ra = Huge sample size over decades vs Gilmore outside of Ra = miniscule (by comparison) sample size over very limited windows of opportunity. So, apples and oranges, really, it's not like John Gilmore was the type of player who had his Living commodity game primed to show up at any/every gig in the world and be the Always Dazzling John Gilmore, some people can do that, but just as many, maybe more, really, don't and/or can't. You can be forgiven for thinking that those who can are the norm, but think deeper on it and it might come to look like you get that impression because the people who can do that GET to do that, because doing that is what feeds the business, the business NEEDS people who can do that in order for there to BE a business in the first place. Not knocking there being a business, no, that's the way of the world, just saying that the nature of the business is not going to give all "types" equal treatment, not that it should be expected to, but still, perception = reality, except when not, which is often enough.

got the mobe ANOTHER WORKOUT 45 rpm set / sounds great, this is replacing my US cd which i havent spun in yrs, happy i never bought the 80s vinyl now

45 RPM Tracklist A1 Out Of Joe's Bag A2 I Should Care B Gettin' And Jettin' C Hank's Other Soul D1 Hello Young Lovers D2

Three Coins In A Fountain

So you have two LP sides with songs that are only 7:43 & 8:42 minutes long? What a pain in the ass that must be.