Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20110705141824910.jpeg

i was going to post the same mosaic. i like it very much with that kind of medium band and mulligan and his bari, which i love.

Well, this is the first spin for me after receiving this in the mail from a fellow board member. I'm enjoying what I'm hearing and quite happy to have made the purchase. The personnel on these dates, top notch.

Complete 1936-1940 Ellington Small Groups, great stuff :party:

Don't know why, but I've listed to "Night Song" 10 times in a row, just something about Cootie muted trumpet foiled by the reeds. Perfect tempo, kinda bittersweet song.

I know this was a pop tune back in the day (or at least covered by several different bands) so some research is needed...

Jimmie Lunceford disc 1. Great music and sound. Hope this sets sells well enough to make a Victor/Columbia set possible.

It would be wonderful if Mosaic had more planned!

Listening to The Buck Clayton Jam Sessions box set, not in order, but a song here a song there. About the only recording that I know of that Charlie Fowlkes soloed on! Other than a Frank Wess date in the late 50s.

Jimmie Lunceford disc two. Imo Duke had better compositions en more interesting soloists but what a band :tup :tup :tup

That saxophone section is like a Swiss clockwork.

Well said :tup

I've never heard the sax section compared to Swiss clockwork, but it's SO true!!! I play in a band that performs original Lunceford charts, and the saxophone solis are incredibly intricate and difficult! But they sound so natural and flowing on the recordings.

Edited by Jazz Nut