Don Cheadle may play Miles Davis in biopic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A day and a half and true to his actual life? Sounds to me like it will be some sort of crazy day and a half cocaine bender, at some point a punch will be delivered to Cicely Tyson's face and somehow in the middle of it, the Kind of Blue recording session, or better yet, "Time after Time".

Guess which aspects of his life will get the most attention ...

Let's hope that they increase the number of days with each sequel—aiming, of course, for a whole week, but not a week like any other week.

Seems like they'll need Walter Cronkite and a CBS crew... "What sort of a day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that illustrate and illuminate our times. And YOU WERE THERE!"

A day and a half and true to his actual life? Sounds to me like it will be some sort of crazy day and a half cocaine bender, at some point a punch will be delivered to Cicely Tyson's face and somehow in the middle of it, the Kind of Blue recording session, or better yet, "Time after Time".

I bet it's the day he fought zombies!

I bet it's the day he fought zombies!

Memorialized in Miles Runs The Voodoo Down!

I wonder which day and a half this will be?

any "biopic" that only covers one day is, of course, not really a biopic. they're probably just saying that to create buzz. or the main action will take place during one day later in his life, but there will be copious 'flashbacks.'

or maybe it'll be like a miles davis version of Secret Honor :tup

probably not...

Nobody said that it would be one and a half consecutive days, so we might get half of May 26, 1926—the day he was born. Opening shots of labor, a newsboy runs past the house: "Symon Petliura assassinated," he yells, holding up the same headline. A midwife rushes into the room and asks for a basin and pitcher of water. The neighbor pops in and says he just heard on the radio that Sholom Schwartzbard did it. "Did what?", asks Dr. Davis, the anxious father to be. "Killed Petliura," the neighbor says. There is a loud groan from the lady in the bed, "Oh, no, he is dead?" With that, she gives birth and an emerging modal primal scream fills the theater before it seamlessly segues to a muted trumpet solo. We are now in a California studio, the date is January 21, 1949, and we are witnessing another birth—that of the cool. We stay with Miles for the rest of that day, then fade to black around midnight.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Cheadle to play Miles Davis in long planned biopic
cb6b-US-Film-Miles-Davis-Biopic.jpg

Wed Nov 13, 2:57 PM UTC
NEW YORK (AP) — Don Cheadle will play Miles Davis in a biopic the actor has long planned on the innovative jazz pioneer.

BiFrost Pictures told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it will finance and produce "Kill the Trumpet Player," with Cheadle also making his directorial debut. Cheadle has been trying to make the film for years. Production is finally set to begin in June.

The production company said the movie will focus on when Davis temporarily retired from making music and then re-emerged in 1979. The script is written by Cheadle and Steven Baigelman.

Ewan McGregor will co-star as a Rolling Stone reporter, and Zoe Saldana will play Frances Davis, the trumpet player's former wife. Davis collaborator Herbie Hancock will be involved in the production.

link

More details here. On the one hand, bio-pics almost always suck, so the idea of a more impressionistic film is promising. On the other hand the period they are choosing to frame the movie will invite the worst kind of excesses. It all comes down to the script and, secondarily, the direction. Cheadle co-wrote and is directing (and staring). If it's no good, it will be clear where the blame lies. Here's hoping for the best ... http://www.slashfilm.com/don-cheadle-to-star-and-direct-kill-the-trumpet-player-a-miles-davis-biopic/

Edited by Mark Stryker

I must admit, I like the sound of it. Never realised Frances Davis featured in that period though - I would have expected Cicely Tyson to be featured.

She wasn't, of course. It's all about the money. Good for her, I say.

In the Cinema, you must suspend belief when you walk through the doors.

• 7 months later...