Upcoming Andrew Hill live album for BN

Guy Berger

From Birdland's website:

ANDREW HILL SEXTET

Blue Note Records Live Recording

Wednesday, March 28 through Saturday, March 31 - show times 9&11pm

Music Charge: $30

Encouraged to take up the piano by the legendary Earl “Fatha” Hines, Andrew Hill proved to be more than just a sideman for Dinah Washington, Charlie Parker, and Rahsaan Roland Kirk in the early 1950s and 60s. Upon his return to New York in 1963, Hill established himself as a compelling, and even groundbreaking, post bop composer and bandleader, rollicking with some of the brightest up-and-coming jazz musicians of the time: Eric Dolphy, Tony Williams, Joe Henderson, and Freddie Hubbard. In 2001, both Downbeat and Jazz Times named Hill’s release Dusk, best album of the year. Since then, Andrew Hill has celebrated the release of four other albums with the Palmetto and Blue Note labels, including Time Lines in 2006.

• 3 weeks later...

did andrew hill really play w/ bird? is that on tape?

I have a real bad copy of them playing. But never the less it is Parker and Hill in Chicago.

I saw him live over the summer of 2006 and he was saying the cancer treatment was getting to him. He was thin as a blade of grass. I do hope he gets better. I know it is terminal lung cancer, but you never can say there's no hope.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Andrew cancelled the Birdland gig because he doesn't think he has it in him to play 2 sets a night. Disappointing his audience is the last thing he'd want to do. I spoke with him this morning, and he's hanging in there. I think at some point Blue Note will release a CD with his rhythm section and a front line of two British musicians, recorded some time in the last few years. I'll try to get more info on that. He's also planning to do a new trio recording with John Hebert and Eric McPherson in April. I heard the trio at Merkin Hall in NYC a couple of months ago, and it was astounding. I'm sure Andrew would want me to thank everyone here for their kind thoughts and good wishes......Throughout all of this, he's been incredibly brave - He's truly an inspiration.

Edited by fkimbrough

I heard the trio at Merkin Hall in NYC a couple of months ago, and it was astounding.

I was also there at Merkin in the Fall. The trio performance of that evening (w/ Hebert and McPherson) was indeed astounding, much better than the attempt at recreating Passing Ships. It would be great if that performance was recorded (legitimately).

Here's hoping that Andrew gets well soon.

Those UK guys would be Jason Yarde (alto, sometimes soprano) and Byron Wallen (trumpet). Both very, very fine players indeed (McCoy Tyner used them both earlier this week). Jason's also worked with Louis Moholo's Viva La Black, etc. etc.

I am aware of at least one radio broadcast of Hill will Wallen and Yarde and they both seem comfortable with Hill's music. I believe both also played with Hill in the past as part of his US/UK big band.

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned home from Andrew's Hill's afternoon concert today at Trinity Church in Manhattan. It was beautiful...with John Hebert on bass, and Eric McPherson on drums, playing a new Suite called "Before I", which lasted about 40 minutes. Andrew's very weak and frail these days, and the concert started a bit tentatively(due partly to the fact that he forgot to bring the music and left it at home), but after a few minutes he seemed to gain strength, and if I closed my eyes, wouldn't have guessed that his physical condition is so fragile. John and Eric are arguably the most sympathetic rhythm section he's ever had, and they complemented his music perfectly. After the suite, they played another couple of recent tunes, and ended the concert with "I Should Care" - 1 drawn out and sensuous chorus. The concert was attended by about 500 people, who gave him a long standing ovation at the end. He has 2 dates booked in the studio, one later this month, and another the first week of May, to record the trio. Please think positive thoughts for this great man who has touched so many of us......