June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really, more revelatory than some of JOS' 1957-8 sides? I think the sides like "Groovin at Smalls" feature some of his most stunning playing on records.

No...not more revelatory than THAT! Hell, NOTHING is! :D But, I just think a session left in the can from 1961 of Jimmy, Q. Warren and Donald Bailey has GOT to be a great session. I always think some of Jimmy's best years were '60-'63 ish. "Best" is a silly word. But he was finding the essence of what would become the style that would remain with him until the end of his life during this period imho. Anyway, enough academic b.s....let's hear that tape!

For me, the revelation came like a jolt of electricity when I heard Live At Club Baby Grand Vol. 2. made in 1956, which I am now realizing is JOS BEFORE Groovin' at Small's. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and the Stanley Turrentine has had a name change to A Bluish Bag. This is very interesting since that is the title of one of the tunes from the unissued 6/9/67 session!

Stanley Turrentine Tentet

Blue Mitchell, Tommy Turrentine (tp) Julian Priester (tb) Jerry Dodgion (as, fl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Al Gibbons (ts, bcl) Pepper Adams (bars, cl) McCoy Tyner (p) Walter Booker (b) Mickey Roker (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 9, 1967

1904 tk.16 With This Ring Blue Note unissued

1905 tk.15 Silver Tears -

1906 tk.20 A Bluish Bag -

1907 tk.26 Come Back To Me -

1908 tk.30 The Days Of Wine And Roses -

1909 tk.45 Message To Michael Blue Note rejected

But the price indicates a single CD and in that case there will not be room to also include the tracks from the Best Album compilation, which were recorded on the same sessions as New Time Shuffle. In other words, the bonus tracks will not be the additional tunes recorded at the same sessions, but tunes recorded on a different session, which would be kind of strange! OK, I guess in due time we will see exactly what's on the CD and what's not...

Yes, and the Stanley Turrentine has had a name change to A Bluish Bag. This is very interesting since that is the title of one of the tunes from the unissued 6/9/67 session!

Blue Mitchell, Tommy Turrentine (tp) Julian Priester (tb) Jerry Dodgion (as, fl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Al Gibbons (ts, bcl) Pepper Adams (bars, cl) McCoy Tyner (p) Walter Booker (b) Mickey Roker (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

But the price indicates a single CD and in that case there will not be room to also include the tracks from the Best Album compilation, which were recorded on the same sessions as New Time Shuffle. In other words, the bonus tracks will not be the additional tunes recorded at the same sessions, but tunes recorded on a different session, which would be kind of strange! OK, I guess in due time we will see exactly what's on the CD and what's not...

Well, as usual I've been sleepwalking. I didn't know this Turrentine release was planned at all. At any rate, I've had the vinyl twofer ("Best Album"; BN-LA 394-H2) for years, and have been hoping that the '67 material arranged by Pearson would see the light of day again on CD. Now I'm really curious to see what's going to be included.

Since I've got an online discog page opened, here's some data (not going to vouch for its accuracy, btw) regarding the material Swinging Swede refers to, for those who may be interested:

Donald Byrd (tp) Julian Priester (tb) Jerry Dodgion (as, fl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Joe Farrell (ts, fl) Pepper Adams (bars, cl) Kenny Barron (p) Bucky Pizzarelli (g) Ron Carter (b) Mickey Roker (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 17, 1967

1839 tk.4 She's A Carioca Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1840 tk.9 Samba Do Aviao -

1841 tk.14 Manha De Carnaval Blue Note LT 993

1842 tk.15 What Now, My Love? -

1843 tk.24 Night Song Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1844 tk.32 Here's That Rainy Day Blue Note LT 993

1845 tk.41 Blues For Del -

* Stanley Turrentine Best Album (Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2)

* Stanley Turrentine - New Time Shuffle (Blue Note LT 993)

Stanley Turrentine Orchestra

Joe Shepley, Marvin Stamm (tp, flh) Garnett Brown, Julian Priester (tb) Al Gibbons (as, fl, bcl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Joe Farrell (ts, fl) Mario Rivera (bars) McCoy Tyner (p) Bob Cranshaw (b) Ray Lucas (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 23, 1967

1910 tk.4 Better Luck Next Time Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1911 tk.11 Bonita -

1912 tk.14 Return Of The Prodigal Son Blue Note LT 993

1913 tk.16 Flying Jumbo (Prez Delight) Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1914 tk.27 Ain't No Mountain High Enough Blue Note LT 993

1915 tk.32 New Time Shuffle -

it looks like they are all available for preorder at cd universe.

Well I don't know about all available , since previous batches have all had six titles IIRC . We know the sixth title is not going to be the Stanley Clarke initially listed at Jazzitude , so I suppose we will just have to wait and be surprised .

I expect the Kenny Cox to be a favorite here . We will see how many seconds had to be edited out to make both albums fit on one disc , but I don't see myself buying it unless the booklet is spectacular . And even if that is the case , if the sound on the CD is like the sound on the CDs of other Liberty-era recordings ( e.g. The In Between ) then I will happily keep my original vinyl of the two sessions .

As to Manhattan Fever , it's one I never reach for . The best track on it as I recall is the longest track , which is a version of Bill English's Seventh Avenue Bill . The rest is pretty forgettable . My decision as to whether to buy this on CD will hinge entirely on the quality of any bonus material .

really, more revelatory than some of JOS' 1957-8 sides? I think the sides like "Groovin at Smalls" feature some of his most stunning playing on records.

No...not more revelatory than THAT! Hell, NOTHING is! :D But, I just think a session left in the can from 1961 of Jimmy, Q. Warren and Donald Bailey has GOT to be a great session. I always think some of Jimmy's best years were '60-'63 ish. "Best" is a silly word. But he was finding the essence of what would become the style that would remain with him until the end of his life during this period imho. Anyway, enough academic b.s....let's hear that tape!

For me, the revelation came like a jolt of electricity when I heard Live At Club Baby Grand Vol. 2. made in 1956, which I am now realizing is JOS BEFORE Groovin' at Small's. Wow.

isn't Live At Baby Grand due for a connoisseur or a RvG??

JB

Well, as usual I've been sleepwalking. I didn't know this Turrentine release was planned at all. At any rate, I've had the vinyl twofer ("Best Album"; BN-LA 394-H2) for years, and have been hoping that the '67 material arranged by Pearson would see the light of day again on CD. Now I'm really curious to see what's going to be included.

Since I've got an online discog page opened, here's some data (not going to vouch for its accuracy, btw) regarding the material Swinging Swede refers to, for those who may be interested:

Donald Byrd (tp) Julian Priester (tb) Jerry Dodgion (as, fl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Joe Farrell (ts, fl) Pepper Adams (bars, cl) Kenny Barron (p) Bucky Pizzarelli (g) Ron Carter (b) Mickey Roker (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 17, 1967

1839 tk.4 She's A Carioca Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1840 tk.9 Samba Do Aviao -

1841 tk.14 Manha De Carnaval Blue Note LT 993

1842 tk.15 What Now, My Love? -

1843 tk.24 Night Song Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1844 tk.32 Here's That Rainy Day Blue Note LT 993

1845 tk.41 Blues For Del -

Stanley Turrentine Orchestra

Joe Shepley, Marvin Stamm (tp, flh) Garnett Brown, Julian Priester (tb) Al Gibbons (as, fl, bcl) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Joe Farrell (ts, fl) Mario Rivera (bars) McCoy Tyner (p) Bob Cranshaw (b) Ray Lucas (d) Duke Pearson (arr)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 23, 1967

1910 tk.4 Better Luck Next Time Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1911 tk.11 Bonita -

1912 tk.14 Return Of The Prodigal Son Blue Note LT 993

1913 tk.16 Flying Jumbo (Prez Delight) Blue Note BN-LA 394-H2

1914 tk.27 Ain't No Mountain High Enough Blue Note LT 993

1915 tk.32 New Time Shuffle -

This is the interesting one for me. Does anyone know what the Conn is going to include?

MG

RVG in 2009.

hopefully Rudy is still healty (and alive) in 2009!!

JB

He's probably redone the entire catalogue of BN & PR material already - they're just bringing them out in dribs and drabs :)

MG

hmmm, how long does it take, to remaster an album?

JB

Personally I doubt that he has "redone the entire catalogue" by any means. I think he's done these in batches and they release them in batches.

Long life to him, and I hope this continues. I would prefer all these Connoisseurs to be released as RVGs for example. I really enjoy these remasterings. (It's just a personal preferrence!)

RVG in 2009.

JB

He's probably redone the entire catalogue of BN & PR material already - they're just bringing them out in dribs and drabs :)

MG

What's PR?

Prestige?

RVG in 2009.

JB

MG

What's PR?

Prestige?

Yup!

MG