Coltrane on Prestige

Templejazz

OK, so I have Blue Train, a good smattering of Trane on Atlantic, and a couple of his Impulse! dates, but what I'm really missing is his work on Prestige, not counting the stuff with Miles.

Getting the box is out of the question right now. If I were to pick say, 4 or 5 sessions on Prestige, which ones represent him best and should be my first purchases?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Templejazz

Whatever they call the dates w/Byrd, Garland, George Joyner, & Taylor now (or since this is OJC, whatever they called them THEN), get'em. They might be Red sides, actually. but get'em.

Along with the previous recs. And the Stardust sessions w/Wilbur Harden.

Not TOO many ways to go wrong here, actually...

If you're used to the great Coltrane Atlantic and Impulse! albums, you'd better keep in mind that some of the Prestiges are typical 1950s blowing sessions with an "early" Trane, but it's needless to say, of course, that the Prestige albums with Miles are essential.

Edited by J.A.W.

If you're used to the great Coltrane Atlantic and Impulse! albums, you'd better keep in mind that some of the Prestiges are typical 1950s blowing sessions with an "early" Trane, but it's needless to say, of course, that the Prestige albums with Miles are essential.

That's why I wanted to check here on these sessions. I'm not usually a fan of the "blowing sessions" cuz I've heard a bunch that have fallen short of my expectations, ie too drawn out, rambling, lousy sound, etc.

I'll check out some of the above recommendations though.

Two I'd like to mention: Lush Life and Dakar.

Lush Life was quoted as being Van Gelder's favorite Prestige session for some reason.

Dakar is very nice because of the baritones. . . unusual, everyone plays very well.

At least the sound on almost all of the Prestiges is more than good. . . .

That's why I wanted to check here on these sessions. I'm not usually a fan of the "blowing sessions" cuz I've heard a bunch that have fallen short of my expectations, ie too drawn out, rambling, lousy sound, etc.

I'll check out some of the above recommendations though.

Well, to be honest, they're not exactly my cup of tea - and that's an understatement... :wacko:

As I hear them (and musicianship aside), the Prestige sides sound much better than the Atlantic sides. Some of them I would certainly call "essential." These would be:

• Soultrane

• Traneing In

• Settin' the Pace

• Lush Life

The latter contains Coltrane's trio outing on "Trane's Slow Blues," and it's a marvel. Coltrane's solo here was the blues solo to transcribe when I was music school. Very hip.

One that does't often get mentioned, but in my opinion deserves wider recognition is:

• Wheelin' and Dealin'

Frank Wess: flute, tenor

Paul Quinichette: tenor

John Coltrane: tenor

Mal Waldron: piano

Doug Watkins: bass

Art Taylor: drums

recorded September 20, 1957

This album certainly falls into the "blowing session" category, but I think it's far more engaging than, say, Johnny Griffin's A Blowing Session. Frank Wess rises to the occasion, and lays down some of the hippest tenor lines in front of Coltrane and Quinichette, as if to say Don't count me out, my brethren, because I also play flute. While Coltrane might be the more "modern" of the three, I think it's Wess who actually delivers the most exciting contributions on this session. And, as the cherry on the top of the sundae, you get to hear Art Taylor (I think it's Taylor) say "Shit!" after one of the faster tracks (— and of course now I can't recall the title). Though this is a "regular" OJC, the sound is damn near impeccable. And with Doug Watkins and Mal Waldron laying down the groove, well, :wub: .

My personal favorites would probably be Soultrane, Settin' the Pace and Traneing In (all by the quartet of Trane, Garland, PC, Art Taylor). But then all the stuff with Wilbur Harden is very good, too! There is a nice 2CD set on Savoy collecting the three sessions which were originally issued as three Wilbur Harden LPs.

Lush Life then is another good one, and to sum those sessions up, you also should get The Last Trane (a comp of left-overs, but what goodies!), The Believer, and, also Trane's leader-debut, Coltrane (with the obscure Johnny Splawn on trumpet).

Then I like some of the blowing sessions, as the before mentioned Wheelin' and Dealin'. But my favorite among these tenor-battle affairs is the Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette. I really love that date! Waldron and co. create a very nice mood, and Trane and Vice-Pres have their fun, and are a very nice fit.

ubu

Yeah, just get the box - the German version can stil be found relatively cheaply and even the big-boxed US version isn't that expensive for what you get.

You can also join emusic.com and download all of Coltrane's Prestige discs (and much more) for just $15/month. ;)

I would have said Soultrane, but after reading the postings here I went back and revisited Lush Life ( thanks Jazzmouse). After several days of being in pretty steady rotation, I have decided that I share the enthusiasm of this board for that one. I do not know why it did not strike me the first time I heard it but what the heck. It is serious piece of work.

Those two would be my choices.

Soultrane

Lush Life

So, intrigued by the idea of two baritones I decided to start off with 'Dakar', taking Lon's suggestion (and anyone else who mentioned it)

Very cool compositions and damn! the rhythm section swings like CRAZY. Doug Watkins has to be one of the most underrated bassists IMO.

WoooHOOOO Route 4's burnin' now. :eye::eye:

pEaCe!! :blink:

Edited by Templejazz

To sum up here... find some way to get the box! :g

Can't say it any better way!

The only items missing in the Coltrane Prestige box set are the sessions with Miles, one Flanagan trio track from the "Cats" session, and two tracks from the Gene Ammons session without Coltrane. The sound of the box is excellent, the book is beautiful, and in the long run you get the same music on less CDs compared to buying individual album OJC reissues. Save the money, be patient, and be happy when you've reached the goal!

Templejazz, although there are some rather mediocre blowing sessions (especially the ones with Mal Waldron), the dates with Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor are definitely NOT! Those guys and Trane were close buddies who logged countless hours playing together. There is a close understanding between them all. They also played a lot with Donald Byrd, who also fits in real well (though he is not on Coltrane's plane, of course). So you can safely get all the sessions with those guys (including the ones under Red's name, although those use an inferior bassist), that is, from about Sep 57 onward. These sessions also include Wilbur Harden and (to a limited extent) Freddie Hubbard, both of whom play better (on the Trane sessions, that is) than Byrd.

Those sessions include some of Trane's best slow numbers that you will ever hear. Such items as "I See Your Face Before Me" are absolute gems. And "Little Melonae" really points to Trane's later, experimental work.

I can't stand Quinichette, but that's just me.

There are some nice moments on the earlier sessions, but Trane did not play anywhere near as well in 1956 and early 1957 as he began to do in the fall of 57, when he had shaken off the smack and also spent a very fruitful summer with Thelonious Monk.