Just got laid off...

I'm kind of blank right now. I was 1 of 150 people cut today along w/many close friends firmwide and they gave me a fairly generous severance package, but I'm just saddened right now. Worked with some really awesome people and I was allowed just 5 minutes to pack up and leave after the closed door "talk". No chance to say farewell to many folks. I still have several packages of CDs sent to me at work (some from you guys) that I never took home in my cublcie :) and they will send the rest of the stuff to me. I know some of you have most likely have had the same experience lately or in the past. How do you cope?

Edited by trane_fanatic

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you man, I really do. I'm as good as laid off myself right now, getting almost no hours at work thanks to the slowdown in the economy.

As I sit here I've been trying to figure out exactly how short I'm going to be on the rent this month...and it's looking ugly. Not sure what the future holds for me right now.

All I can do is hope and try not to let the never ending anxiety attacks get the better of me.

...maybe we should start an "unemployed jazz fan commune".

My best wishes to both of you, and anyone else out there who's suffering similar problems.

Thanks Bruce. The saddest thing is that a lotta people have been there for years (I been there less than 3) and were crying. I feel the most for the longtimers. You read and hear about it everyday, but it doesn't really hit home until it happens to *you*.

I feel for you man, I really do. I'm as good as laid off myself right now, getting almost no hours at work thanks to the slowdown in the economy.

As I sit here I've been trying to figure out exactly how short I'm going to be on the rent this month...and it's looking ugly. Not sure what the future holds for me right now.

All I can do is hope and try not to let the never ending anxiety attacks get the better of me.

...maybe we should start an "unemployed jazz fan commune".

Hang in there Shawn!

Very sad. And it sounds like it was handled in a cruel way. Five minutes to get your work area cleared out is not reasonable.

Hopefully you'll keep in touch with some of your former co-workers through this transition. It can be comforting, at least. Get together, have some beers or whatever, vent. And not to get all practical or anything, but maintaining a network of people can be useful in finding a new job.

And, yeah, it could happen to me any time as well. I'm living under no illusions that I'm somehow indispensable. For what it's worth, many of my former co-workers who have been laid off where I work have gone on to find better opportunities, even in this environment.

Hang in there, both you and Shawn.

My best wishes to both of you, and anyone else out there who's suffering similar problems.

Thanks Bruce. The saddest thing is that a lotta people have been there for years (I been there less than 3) and were crying. I feel the most for the longtimers. You read and hear about it everyday, but it doesn't really hit home until it happens to *you*.

So true. I've been fortunate thus far, but none of us knows what's around the bend. I hope you guys can find a good means of income soon.

That's awful. My heart goes out to you both. They are going to fire 115 people out of a workforce of 800 where I work. The next few months are going to be very hairy. I think I'm safe, at least for the time being, but if the economy keeps worsening, there will probably be another round of cuts. I guess that's what 8 years of Reaganomics plus 8 years of Bushanomics will do for you.

I feel bad for you guys. I had a friend who used to work on a week-by-week basis with her stuff essentially packed up and ready to go at a moment's notice, and she worked liked this for months. She ended up quitting after several waves of lay-offs because she couldn't handle the stress and anxiety anymore and moved to another state to start over.

My best wishes go out to both of you and I hope you both find something soon or things pick up for you. I just found out last week that I've been spared the ax. I work for a large bank and they decided that after outsourcing thousands of jobs to India that they wanted to move the jobs that legally couldn't go to India to Jacksonville Florida. I work in a department of about 30 people, and the bosses announced that every job except mine and four other people would be gone south by July. If anyone wanted to move down there they would have to take a 35% pay cut. I'm happy I survived, but the future doesn't look so bright. A year from now they may have people down there that will work cheap and could replace me and then I'm history.

Very sorry to hear this, but not that surprised. If anything it's more surprising more people haven't been affected yet. My company will probably be ok, esp. as we mostly deal with transportation and there will be more transportation funding from DC soon. My problem is I just don't fit that well with the culture there (and we've lost all of the proposals I have worked on -- not a great sign). I figure if even a handful of people get cut, I will be among them. On the other hand, if we win this big proposal I just wrote that's going in next week, then I would be set for another 18 months. Needless to say, just looking over my shoulder all the time is very stressful, and I am working on several leads to get me out of there. But as everyone knows, this is not the best time to be looking for work.

The depressing part for me is that I've been looking for another full-time job since July, I managed to snag a few interviews but in the end didn't get the positions. I continue to apply (both temporary work and full-time), but the phone has stopped ringing.

With my precarious mental state (recurrent major depression), I end up subconsciously putting all the blame on myself, which just feeds the fire of the depression. Then getting screamed at by bill collectors on top of all that equals a really big shit sandwich. Add to that the fact that I'm single makes it even harder.

If I couldn't find a job this past summer, prior to the economy tanking completely...then I'm not overly hopeful at this point.

Times like these (and I've gone through alot in the past 5 years) makes you wonder why all the pain, anxiety and fear is even worth dealing with.

But I continue to get up each morning, breath in and out, and go through the motions of being alive. But basically I'm numb.

The depressing part for me is that I've been looking for another full-time job since July, I managed to snag a few interviews but in the end didn't get the positions. I continue to apply (both temporary work and full-time), but the phone has stopped ringing.

With my precarious mental state (recurrent major depression), I end up subconsciously putting all the blame on myself, which just feeds the fire of the depression. Then getting screamed at by bill collectors on top of all that equals a really big shit sandwich. Add to that the fact that I'm single makes it even harder.

If I couldn't find a job this past summer, prior to the economy tanking completely...then I'm not overly hopeful at this point.

Times like these (and I've gone through alot in the past 5 years) makes you wonder why all the pain, anxiety and fear is even worth dealing with.

But I continue to get up each morning, breath in and out, and go through the motions of being alive. But basically I'm numb.

For what it's worth Shawn, I suffer from depression frequently and many times deeply. Please hang in there even though right now it sucks completely- hope is all we have...

I was laid off back in the summer. I've been looking high and low, but I've had no luck finding a job in that time. My unemployment is almost up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get an extention.

I was really hoping that I was be able to get at least a part-time teaching position without having to resort to subbing (I've done it before, and I actually like it, but it's way too unstable as a source of income). I have, however, just put in to be put back on the sub lists in all the districts I used to work in. It'll take a few weeks for the paperwork the clear, but I'll be back in a classroom soon. And I'm glad, too! I've been going stir-crazy lately!

If I get steady work, I'll be able to make at least as much as I'm getting on unemployment. But, as I said, it's not secure and there's no future in it. Plus it will actually distract me from job hunting! But it's better than sitting at home day in and day out.

Hold steady, boys. We're in for a bumpy ride!

I'm being treated for major depression, too. If this had happened to me a couple of year's back (along with my marital troubles), it would have been all over for me. As it is, I'm actually doing well. I'm getting occasional acting and improv gigs, so at least I have something to do and a tiny amount of money coming in (whenever I draw a $100 or $300 check from acting or improv, I tell my wife, "This is $100 more than we would have had if I weren't doing this!"). I'm probably the happiest guy you'll ever meet who doesn't have a job and whose wife is leaving him!

Edited by Alexander

I'm just spitballin' here, but what about volunteering for a group or organization that has always interested you? As a way of networking? I think if I got laid off, it's highly unlikely at my age that I'd find or even look for a similar job in the same industry. I might go volunteer one or two days a week at the humane society or something and try to see if there's some way I could spin that into a job -- I don't know -- a pet sitting business of my own or something. $20 a day per home visit times 20 clients = $400 a day. Not bad. Pretty damn good, actually.

Shawn and others who suffer from depression, I hope you can seek out those things that help you manage and grow, whether it be spiritual counsel, therapy, medication, or whatever you need. Be strong. A better day will dawn.

Shawn and others, remember that depression is a medical condition, having to do with your brain not producing enough chemicals in the proper balance. Depression is not an indication of moral weakness. So don't hesitate to get the pills you need.

It's unfashionable to say this around here, but daily prayer helps. Tell the Lord what's on your mind, and ask Him for His divine guidance.

One other thing. When I was young, getting laid off was seen as the mark of a loser. Now, it's happened to so many people so many times that nobody thinks the less of you for it.

I've been out of work now for over two years and it sucks! I bit the bullet and have gone back to school. Now I am in my third semester of nursing school with one more semester left after this one. I've incurred quite a bit of debt. Now I am wondering how long my wife's job will last. I am also wondering if there will be a job for me when I get out.

This is a sucky economy. There are more job losses ahead but employment is a lagging economic indicator. It confirms that we're not doing well but it doesn't predict when things will get better. I keep watching the stock market to see if there is any sign of a turnaround. I'm mildly encouraged right now, as we seem to be holding firm at the 8300 level.

Shawn and others, remember that depression is a medical condition, having to do with your brain not producing enough chemicals in the proper balance. Depression is not an indication of moral weakness. So don't hesitate to get the pills you need.

It's unfashionable to say this around here, but daily prayer helps. Tell the Lord what's on your mind, and ask Him for His divine guidance.

Amen on both counts.

I feel for you guys though (Shawn, Alex, etc), because I know from personal experience those meds cost a lot of money. Wish there was some way I could help, because I know if I ever couldn't afford my meds, I'd go apeshit and God only knows what would happen. At this point, I'm just extremely thankful I have a job. A buddy of mine has what has to be the worst job in the world: middle management in charge of layoffs. This guy's daily routine is to recommend to his superiors who to lay off. Talk about being trapped in a horrible job.

Good luck to you all. When the economy's in such shitty shape, it's awfully difficult to be too hopeful, but maintaining contacts is the most important thing you can do - about a third of all people who move out of unemployment into jobs do so through personal contacts. That's a hell of a lot of jobs you're not going to get if you just rely on the want-ads.

MG