Late

Mal Waldron

60 posts in this topic

Has anyone here heard Waldron's Spanish Bitch? I'd really like to hear that session.

Certainly one of the finest of the 70s trio dates. I also like Number Nineteen.

Yes, I've been playing this again today.....it's VERY good.

I understand that it was recorded by Manfred Eicher for release on ECM but for some reason it never happened and eventually came out on the Japanese label Globe. Anyone know the story behind this?

Good question.

I assume it was a licensing thing; Globe had several Mal Waldron titles in their catalog including The Call (Japo) and All Alone (GTA Italy). The catalog numbers on these titles align with Japanese Victor LPs and I believe the two were related.

Most Japanese ECMs I've encountered are on Trio/Kenwood and from a few years later.

I just wondered whether there might have been a falling out between the two (Eicher & Waldron). Mal Waldren's "Free at Last" was the very first release by ECM and "Spanish Bitch" was recorded less than a year later. Apart from one other recording, "The Call" (which came out on Japo and has never been re-issued on CD), Mal Waldron never recorded for ECM again.

Maybe, but early ECM is full of interesting one-offs.

Posted (edited)

anyone seen this beautiful doc? Nice interviews with Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille, Steve Lacy, Max Roach and Jeanne Lee. 

And Mal himself... what a sweet guy. Such a humble person.

Edited by Pim

22 minutes ago, Pim said:

anyone seen this beautiful doc? Nice interviews with Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille, Steve Lacy, Max Roach and Jeanne Lee. 

I look forward to checking it out - thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, felser said:

I look forward to checking it out - thanks for sharing!

I discovered that doc online on YouTube about 2 months ago, and it's pretty good. Certainly gives the participants plenty of space to talk (mean that as a good thing).

Posted (edited)

What a beautiful way to spend 51 minutes - come out better for being in the presence of humble greatness - thank you Mal, Max, Steve, Jeanne, Andrew, Reggie and the skilled documentary team!

Edited by charlesp

On 27/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Pim said:

A great doc, I remember watching it a few times in the early Youtube days when it  was in 9 min parts (along with other docs like Reflections, New York-Paris  (ARTE,1998) and Earl "Fatha" Hines (ATV,1975)).

Travellin' In Soul-Time with Waldron and Lee has been recorded around the same time of this doc and is a beauty.

47 minutes ago, aparxa said:

A great doc, I remember watching it a few times in the early Youtube days when it  was in 9 min parts (along with other docs like Reflections, New York-Paris  (ARTE,1998) and Earl "Fatha" Hines (ATV,1975)).

Travellin' In Soul-Time with Waldron and Lee has been recorded around the same time of this doc and is a beauty.

Indeed. And I think also Explorations to the Mth Degree with Max Roach. Nice stuff!

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Indeed. And I think also Explorations to the Mth Degree with Max Roach. Nice stuff!

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about this record ! That's now 176 Waldron entries in my Discogs wantlist...

My top 5 new-to-me in the past year has been:

Reminicent Suite
Much More ! (+Marion Brown)
Duo, Quartett, Solo (+Burchard)
Three For Freedom
Run About MAL