Bill Dixon - Intents & Purposes reissue

colinmce

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with shipping to Europe of $12 from Musicstack that's over $30. Hm.

pre-ordered fom Amazon.com, for £15.63 delivered to UK. I normally prrefer to use a smaller, independent source but couldn't find one

Given the reccomendations this album's getting here, I'm happy to check it out for that price

So with shipping to Europe of $12 from Musicstack that's over $30. Hm.

pre-ordered fom Amazon.com, for £15.63 delivered to UK. I normally prrefer to use a smaller, independent source but couldn't find one

Given the reccomendations this album's getting here, I'm happy to check it out for that price

That's more like it. Click click!

Dear Mr. Funkateer, don't hold out for vinyl. The CD is quite quite good. I'd own both in a New York second. When you see the packaging for the CD and hear the sound, you'll be glad you have it. This CD will become a rare wanted item just as the old vinyl of this is today. I really hope to do vinyl but can't swear to it due to economics, etc. But I'll try. Meantime, I think you'll love the CD. Your call. Jonathan

Look to Bill Dixon's Facebook page for more information regarding this reissue in the coming weeks.

Mr Horwich corresponded with both Bill Dixon and, after Bill's death, members of the Bill Dixon Living Trust in preparation for the reissue of Intents and Purposes. While a more comprehensive release of the material with scores, session photos and unissued studio material would be desirable, it is good to have this iconic album available again for those who love the music. And Jonathan had to fight hard to get what he did secure from RCA, and took great care in the remastering process.

We are in production of the material from Bill Dixon's final concert, recorded three weeks before his death, and the album will see release early this summer on the VICTO label.

Look to Bill Dixon's Facebook page for more information regarding this reissue in the coming weeks.

We are in production of the material from Bill Dixon's final concert, recorded three weeks before his death, and the album will see release early this summer on the VICTO label.

Great news! Thanks for posting.

Available tomorrow!

I was mistaken about what the original cover art looked like. I guess there were two versions, at different times.

post-282-0-27305500-1301334088_thumb.jpg post-282-0-81058300-1301334123_thumb.jpg

Edit: I hope JLH doesn't mind me posting the cover art. I'll take them down if it's any cause for concern. I'm just excited about the reissue!

Edited by Late

Available tomorrow!

I was mistaken about what the original cover art looked like. I guess there were two versions, at different times.

post-282-0-27305500-1301334088_thumb.jpg post-282-0-81058300-1301334123_thumb.jpg

Edit: I hope JLH doesn't mind me posting the cover art. I'll take them down if it's any cause for concern. I'm just excited about the reissue!

Received a "shipped" e-mail from Amazon. :party:

Available tomorrow!

Since we seem to get tied up in knots over copyright issues, it's worth noting that the reissuer here does not own either of those images, he has leased one of them. Nor does he own the music, he has leased it. So the copyright owner (in this case Sony) can sue you if you reproduce the artwork - or the music - but the reissuer cannot, it no more belongs to him than to you or to the Andorrans, or to any of the performers or composers. It belongs to Sony/RCA, who will have received a flat sum from the reissuer, and who may or may not owe a small percentage of that sum to the (musical) artist but do not likely owe money to anyone else. Copyright in the compositions is a separate matter. Um, tell me if I am wrong, anybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Mjazz and mjzee, thanks for your kind comments. A lot of time was put into the packaging including the inclusion of the Dynagroove label to create a near diminutive duplication of the original RCA vinyl cover, etc. And as for the sound, I brought my equipment to NYC and Mark Wilder at Sony studio and I made a good transfer to digital from the master analog. Combined with good post production work, we achieved a good sound quality.

Hope you all enjoy the release.

Jonathan

had mine for a day or two. The sounds are astonishing. Worth every moment of expectation built up by the comments here

The sound of this edition is also astonishing - one can truly immerse yourself in the music

Agreed.

:tup

Likewise :tup , not heard this before and it sounds very interesting, production quality very high indeed. The CD cover needs to seen/felt to be believed.

Do I have to wait till April 19th? I'm ready to order now!

It is available now from Amazon.

Sure is. They got my copy over to UK in seemingly double-quick time which is great as the amazon.co.uk has an import price of £28.22! It's very good but that's pricey