What to Reissue

jonathanhorwich

Erroll Garner-complete"Concert by the Sea"

The Garner Estate would probably veto it. Mosaic planned a big Garner box, but the estate wouldn't allow it.

I second that.

Me as well.

And me. We were soooooo close.

gregmo

I'll jump on this bandwagon. Would make a great 2-CD set.

Seconded.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some titles that haven't been reissued on CD, like Al Cohn's Xanadu albums Play It Now, Al Cohn's America and No Problem and Richie Kamuca's Concord album Richie.

Sound good! Were the Sam Noto Xanadus ever issued on CD?

I'd like to see some titles that haven't been reissued on CD, like Al Cohn's Xanadu albums Play It Now, Al Cohn's America and No Problem ...

Those three are all excellent — my very favorite Al Cohn on record.

post-282-0-68032800-1301378623_thumb.jpg post-282-0-84426400-1301378648_thumb.jpg post-282-0-06278700-1301378668_thumb.jpg

A couple of years back, eMusic had a number of Xanadu titles (a lot of them needle drops), and this was the only way I could find to hear them. Finding the four Sam Noto titles this way was a gift.

post-282-0-30241800-1301378964_thumb.jpg post-282-0-03000800-1301378979_thumb.jpg post-282-0-61884100-1301379033_thumb.jpg post-282-0-69779700-1301379076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Late

I'd like to see some titles that haven't been reissued on CD, like Al Cohn's Xanadu albums Play It Now, Al Cohn's America and No Problem and Richie Kamuca's Concord album Richie.

Agree completely on the Kamuca and on Heavy Love, Cohn's Xanadu duets with Jimmy Rowles (though these did come out again on CD (on Prevue?). I don't have the other Xanadus.

All the music from the three Al Cohn albums that you show from Xanadu was contained on the following two CDs from 1979:

- The Complete Al Cohn/Barry Harris Quartets - Volume 1 - Play It Now. EPM FDC 5171

- The Complete Al Cohn/Barry Harris Quarters - Volume 2 - No Problem. EPM FDC 5172

I agree with your opinion. His Xanadu sessions are among my favorites.

There also is an issue on Gambit ("Barry Harris Trio with Barry Harris"). It looks like it's just one disk, so it wouldn't be all the music. Checking Amazon, I see that there's a new (2011) issue of "No Problem" available from them on demand in CD-R format.

I'd like to see some titles that haven't been reissued on CD, like Al Cohn's Xanadu albums Play It Now, Al Cohn's America and No Problem ...

Those three are all excellent — my very favorite Al Cohn on record.

post-282-0-68032800-1301378623_thumb.jpg post-282-0-84426400-1301378648_thumb.jpg post-282-0-06278700-1301378668_thumb.jpg

A couple of years back, eMusic had a number of Xanadu titles (a lot of them needle drops), and this was the only way I could find to hear them. Finding the four Sam Noto titles this way was a gift.

post-282-0-30241800-1301378964_thumb.jpg post-282-0-03000800-1301378979_thumb.jpg post-282-0-61884100-1301379033_thumb.jpg post-282-0-69779700-1301379076_thumb.jpg

All the music from the three Al Cohn albums that you show from Xanadu was contained on the following two CDs from 1979:

- The Complete Al Cohn/Barry Harris Quartets - Volume 1 - Play It Now. EPM FDC 5171

- The Complete Al Cohn/Barry Harris Quarters - Volume 2 - No Problem. EPM FDC 5172

Thanks for the info, but the CDs can't be from 1979 since the very first audio CDs were not released until 1982 and the EPM label was founded in 1986.

Good point. It was an unfortunate typo. Should have been 1989 (not 1979). Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks for the info, but the CDs can't be from 1979 since the very first audio CDs were not released until 1982 and the EPM label was founded in 1986.

Any of these, but (at least for me) especially "Of Human Feelings" (which was out only very briefly on CD in Japan 20+ years ago)...

Ornette at 12 (1969) & Crisis (1972) [both on Impulse]

Of Human Feelings (1982), Opening the Caravan of Dreams (1985), & Prime Design\Time Design (1986)

Probably never going to happen, but "Crisis" is a top 10 album for me. An idealized, "dream" reissue would include the Impulse! single Ornette did as an add-on. Whatever--accentuate the positive. Ornette's music (if not necessarily his playing) is completely innovative and insane these days, so happy to know there's still great "Harmolodic" music out there...

There's a copy of "Rumasuma" at my local record shop for like $40. So close to pulling the trigger a while back--but, then, everything suddenly reappears. Higgins being in that band clinches it for me.

Then there's crazy stuff like this:

http://www.discogs.com/Byron-Allen-Interface/release/872788

That I'd be surprised people even know about. I found a copy at an SF record shop just this past Sunday; the guy at the counter said he'd sold "a few," but I can't imagine it's common stock (the info on the sleeve suggests it was pressed in SF). Every time I wonder why something as relatively commonplace as "Rumasuma" hasn't been reissued, I'm reminded that we're not really at the bottom of the LP barrel just yet.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Probably never going to happen, but "Crisis" is also a top 10 album for me. An idealized, "dream" reissue would include the Impulse! single Ornette did as an add-on. Whatever--accentuate the positive. Ornette's music (if not necessarily his playing) is completely innovative and insane these days, so happy to know there's still great "Harmolodic" music out there...

I'm with you on Crisis. And while we're dreaming, how about more music from that concert - you know that they played for more than 40 minutes. Improved sound/balance would be nice, too.

Then there's crazy stuff like this:

http://www.discogs.com/Byron-Allen-Interface/release/872788

That I'd be surprised people even know about. I found a copy at an SF record shop just this past Sunday; the guy at the counter said he'd sold "a few," but I can't imagine it's common stock (the info on the sleeve suggests it was pressed in SF). Every time I wonder why something as relatively commonplace as "Rumasuma" hasn't been reissued, I'm reminded that we're not really at the bottom of the LP barrel just yet.

Rumasuma is good, though for whatever reason I prefer Burning Spirits (which has been reissued, by Concord no less!). Whatever - all of Simmons' dates from the 60s and 70s are killer.

Interface is a neat record, for sure! Way better than I "expected" it would be.

Never got into "Burning Spirits," but maybe I should give it another spin. I don't think I ever gave it fair shakes... I got it around the same time as "Firebirds"--a much more "all-star" recording, which sort of overshadowed everything else. One thing is for sure: I don't think I've ever not enjoyed Clifford Jarvis in his many itinerant, non-Arkestra appearances.

Regarding: "Crisis"--I remember getting an LP copy a couple years back. I thought that the vinyl rip that had been in my possession for however long was simply defective (or taken from a "not good" source)... I was sorely disappointed to hear the actual recording quality. Whatever the case, I've acclimated to it--I think it gives the album a sort of urgency/charm. It's definitely more bootleg-y than any of Ornette's other "official" live recordings, which suits the energy of the music--kind of a "I can't believe we got this on record!" vibe. I recall the essential personnel being pretty happy about this concert.

Speaking of reissues--it might be nice to get "Made In America" (the Ornette doc) into common circulation. Talking about "Crisis": there's some fleeting (albeit amazing) footage of an Ornette group with Dewey Redman, Don Cherry, and (IIRC) Haden and Blackwell. Also, there's an interesting bit with Ornette and Denardo dialoguing/duoing via crosstown satellite hookup--some of Denardo's most amazing electric drumkit stuff.

I've got

love

and play the hell out of:

Eddie Johnson

Indian Summer

Paul Serrano (tp except -1); Eddie Johnson (ts); John Young (p); Eddie de Haas (b); George Hughes (d).

P.S. Studios, Chicago, June 24 and July 2, 1981

Self Portrait (of the Bean) (Ellington-Strayhorn) -1

Nessa N-22

Indian Summer (Herbert)

Nessa N-22

The Choice (T. Thompson)

Nessa N-22

Blue Star (Carter)

Nessa N-22

Splanky (Hefti)

Nessa N-22

Misty Thursday (D. Jordan)

Nessa N-22

My Baby Just Cares for Me (Donaldson-Kahn)

Nessa N-22

I'm Old Fashioned

unissued

...but I can't recall seeing it on CD. Fortunately, there are copies of the LP around. You should buy one.

Edited by Unk

I've got

love

and play the hell out of:

Eddie Johnson

Indian Summer

Paul Serrano (tp except -1); Eddie Johnson (ts); John Young (p); Eddie de Haas (b); George Hughes (d).

P.S. Studios, Chicago, June 24 and July 2, 1981

Self Portrait (of the Bean) (Ellington-Strayhorn) -1

Nessa N-22

Indian Summer (Herbert)

Nessa N-22

The Choice (T. Thompson)

Nessa N-22

Blue Star (Carter)

Nessa N-22

Splanky (Hefti)

Nessa N-22

Misty Thursday (D. Jordan)

Nessa N-22

My Baby Just Cares for Me (Donaldson-Kahn)

Nessa N-22

I'm Old Fashioned

unissued

...but I can't recall seeing it on CD. Fortunately, there are copies of the LP around. You should buy one.

See post #136 in this thread:

Nessa

"Crisis" was initially going to be a 2 lp set.

Though I dig what we've got, that sure would have been nice.

It's such a good concert and really different from a lot of Ornette's released discography. The album program is good enough, but I do wonder how much editing is going on. I haven't listened in a bit, I recall an abrupt cut or two (maybe I'm just mishearing?).

I always thought the participants seemed uncomfortable on these recordings.

I missed the bass.

Probably right on both counts, but getting the chance to hear that much Michael Ray is the draw for me.

I really like the other Sun Ra Horo, "Unity", a 2 LP big band session. That one really deserves to be reissued on CD.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Pee Wee Russell and Red Allen: College Concert originally on Impulse. Also there's a Gil Evans on Horo, which admittedly isn't essential. However the Royal Albert Hall Evans concert is essential and unfortunately was released over two different labels so it will probably never be out on cd. (In all 3 cases I made my own cds-- back in the days when I knew how to do that.)

Since I have not heard anything, I don't want to post in the other thread, but: Is anything by Joseph Dejean/Cohelmec Ensemble a classic? I have not heard them but have long been curious... similarly, nothing by Michel Roques has ever been reissued as far as I know...