Don Was Tries to Revive Blue Note Records

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of funny reading this stuff about capturing "the now and the future" of sound, all the while thinking that HIS first (and only?) hit was a song called "Walk the Dinosaur".

I don't know how appropriate he is for the label, but I wish him all the best of luck.

It's kind of funny reading this stuff about capturing "the now and the future" of sound, all the while thinking that HIS first (and only?) hit was a song called "Walk the Dinosaur".

You don't remember "Out Come The Freaks"?

Don't know if it ever crossed over or not, but it was big in the Disco/R&B/Funk/Etc circuit ca. 1981 or so.

Freaks and Dinosaurs...sounds like my kind of artist roster! :g

I don't know how appropriate he is for the label, but I wish him all the best of luck.

Strange that you think of Don's viability in terms of his capacity to score hit records. Better to look at the quality of the music he created (employing the likes of Marcus Belgrave, John Patitucci, and Mel Torme over several albums), as well as his contributions to other people's music as a producer.

Strange that you think of Don's viability in terms of his capacity to score hit records. Better to look at the quality of the music he created (employing the likes of Marcus Belgrave, John Patitucci, and Mel Torme over several albums), as well as his contributions to other people's music as a producer.

You're misreading my comment (your bad), and are making a great leap of faith with regard to what I actually meant. I was not ranking on the guy. He's talking about "current" sound, and his hit had to do with dinosaurs (the very distant past). Get the irony??????

Anyway, I wouldn't call being producer of any Rolling Stones album post 1973 a great achievement.

From the article: "Mr. Was has also initiated two new Blue Note reissue programs: a "Mastered for iTunes" series". :rfr :rfr :rfr

Yeah, that's sad but not unexpected. They need to release all the same reissues in lossless format via HDTracks, then I would say "okay". I'm sure they won't, but a kid can dream can't he?

I will never pay money for lossy audio files, so I'll continue to "not purchase" until labels start to offer them.

Full quote:

Mr. Was has also initiated two new Blue Note reissue programs: a “Mastered for iTunes” series, and a partnership with HDtracks, which specializes in digital downloads that surpass the sound quality of CDs.

Now, what's that all about?

Full quote:

Mr. Was has also initiated two new Blue Note reissue programs: a "Mastered for iTunes" series, and a partnership with HDtracks, which specializes in digital downloads that surpass the sound quality of CDs.

Now, what's that all about?

24bit/96khz instead of 16bit/44.1khz

Also this:

He claims a similar exuberance for the new Norah Jones album, “Little Broken Hearts,” which was produced by Danger Mouse and released on Tuesday

From what I saw on the AMG New Releases newslettersheet, this one's being released on the Parlophone imprint. Sure, it's all EMI, but Parlophone was The Beatles, so...whatever.

Also, can I say that it's getting harder and harder to read "music journalism" pieces such as this these days with anything but a detached amusement. It's like, subject matter has talking points, "journalist" reports same and throws in a few semi-relevant facts to make it look like they're doing actual work, talking points hit the press, and BAM here we all are talking about Don Was, The New Blue Note, and all this and all that.

Anyway, I do think that Danger Mouse & Norah make a cute couple, and that they would make a great pair on Parks & Recreation should Aubrey Plaza & Chriss Pratt ever leave.

22JPDANGER-popup.jpg