Post Coltrane Recommendations Please!

1stpress

I'm new to the forum, and there seem to be so many knowledgeable people here that I'm hoping for some recommendations. I got into jazz when I was introduced to Charlie Parker; I fixated on his music for several years. From Parker I progressed to Coltrane; I've fixated on his music for even longer. I consider "A Love Supreme" to be my favorite recording of all time, but I don't like Trane's subsequent free jazz stuff, or any other jazz that completely lacks cohesion. I'm also quite fond of "Live at Birdland" and "Impressions". I'm a fan of albums like McCoy Tyner's "The Real McCoy", Elvin Jones' "Puttin It All Together", and Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch". Now that I've bored you to death, I guess in simpler terms I'm looking for some post-bop, pre-free jazz, non-Coltrane recomendations.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this just limited to non-Coltrane saxophonists?

Have you considered going back to Coleman Hawkins, or parallel with Sonny Rollins? Both Coltrane and Rollins come from the Hawkins school.

There is Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson to name two.

Another from before Coltrane is Lester Young who had an influence on post-bop. There is another school of saxophonists that were influenced by him.

Since you like Out to Lunch...you might try Andrew Hill's Point of Departure, and Oliver Nelson's The Blues and Abstract Truth. As well as Dolphy's recordings with Charles Mingus.

Speaking of Mingus....

Edited by Blue Train

1stpress, are you more interested in music that explores the adventurous end of freebop (much like the mid 60s Coltrane quartet) or in music that's directly/obviously influenced by Coltrane's mid-60s group? These overlap somewhat but I think they could lead you in different directions.

DEFINITELY the former. I wan't to hear some real exploration and risk taking, no Coltrane influence necessary. For me the only cut-off point that I've found so far is anything that sounds like Coltrane's post "A Love Supreme" stuff. I can't get with "Meditations", "Ascension", or anything that. But I would much rather listen records like Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" or Elvin Jones' "Puttin it Together" than a straight bop record on which the musicians are just safely showing off their chops.

Just placed my order, I can't wait to hear it. As for all of the other recommendations, I'm in the process of detemining which titles can be had on quality vinyl at a reasonable price before ordering any cds. I don't mind cds, but if there is affordable quiality vinyl available I'll always go with that and make my own cd if need be. To bad it can't be done the other way around.

Billy Harper and Charles Tolliver definitely, but quality vinyl at a reasonable price by them may be difficult. Lasha/Simmons are also pretty great. See if you can find 'Sahara' and 'Enlightenment' by McCoy Tyner. Consider CD's in addition to vinyl, to be able to expand your musical horizons without exponentially expanding your fiscal debt. Clifford Jordan with Cedar Walton on Steeplechase is another recommendation.

1stpress, are you more interested in music that explores the adventurous end of freebop (much like the mid 60s Coltrane quartet) or in music that's directly/obviously influenced by Coltrane's mid-60s group? These overlap somewhat but I think they could lead you in different directions.

DEFINITELY the former. I wan't to hear some real exploration and risk taking, no Coltrane influence necessary. For me the only cut-off point that I've found so far is anything that sounds like Coltrane's post "A Love Supreme" stuff. I can't get with "Meditations", "Ascension", or anything that. But I would much rather listen records like Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" or Elvin Jones' "Puttin it Together" than a straight bop record on which the musicians are just safely showing off their chops.

Have you listened to "John Coltrane Plays?" That is one of my favorites, the first record made after Love Supreme, and closer to Love Supreme than to Ascension or Meditations.

Edited by John L

I'm new to the forum, and there seem to be so many knowledgeable people here that I'm hoping for some recommendations. I got into jazz when I was introduced to Charlie Parker; I fixated on his music for several years. From Parker I progressed to Coltrane; I've fixated on his music for even longer. I consider "A Love Supreme" to be my favorite recording of all time, but I don't like Trane's subsequent free jazz stuff, or any other jazz that completely lacks cohesion. I'm also quite fond of "Live at Birdland" and "Impressions". I'm a fan of albums like McCoy Tyner's "The Real McCoy", Elvin Jones' "Puttin It All Together", and Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch". Now that I've bored you to death, I guess in simpler terms I'm looking for some post-bop, pre-free jazz, non-Coltrane recomendations.

I would recommend checking out Ravi Coltrane, though I'm not sure if many (or any) of his albums are on vinyl.

In a similar "spirituality" vein as A Love Supreme I would recommend Pharaoh Sanders' Impulse! albums... Karma may be a good place to start, though it is leaning on the free side. Another fantastic post bop album is Sonny Rollins East Broadway Run Down.

Edited by Deepak

I would recommend checking out Ravi Coltrane, though I'm not sure if many (or any) of his albums are on vinyl.

In a similar "spirituality" vein as A Love Supreme I would recommend Pharaoh Sanders' Impulse! albums... Karma may be a good place to start, though it is leaning on the free side. Another fantastic post bop album is Sonny Rollins East Broadway Run Down.

I've actually been looking into Karma, I'm holding out for the vinyl right now but first pressings rarely pop up on eBay in decent shape and there doesn't seem to be a decent reissue. I just might have to go with the CD.

Karma was a bit of an underground hit back in the day, often used for/at parties, and played over and over. So a good clean first pressing might well be hard to come by.

OTOH, you can get a vintage first pressing in typical shape, go home, move the furniture out of the way and move some bigass pillows in, invite a bunch of people over, fire up the lava lamp and the smoke, and BOOM - instant authenticity! :g

For that, Side One is all you'll really need anyway, that will be the road more traveled through the years. So don't sweat condition!