Jim Hall R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to see him several times over the years. He was a true original, never afraid to adopt new technologies, to the dismay of some of his fans :-)

He's on many great sides with Chico Hamilton, Art Farmer, Jimmy Giuffre, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Paul Desmond, Ron Carter, and the list goes on and on. RIP, Jim.

He played so well in so many contrasting contexts - with Hampton Hawes, Chico Hamilton, Art Farmer, Sonny Rollins, Freddie Hubbard, Bill Evans - just to mention the 1955-62 period.

And the great 1959, 1961 and 1963-1965 recordings with Paul Desmond on Warner Bros. and RCA, and his Pacific Jazz dates, Jazz Guitar and Good Friday Blues - The Modest Jazz Trio.

Forgot Desmond. Have edited post.

He not only recorded with Desmond in the period you mentioned, but also after 1962.

I know. I've got the discs! :D

:)

Marc Myers' JazzWax post this morning reminds me that I should have put Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Brookmeyer (thanks also, Ubu) and John Lewis in that list, too.

http://www.jazzwax.com/

I mentioned "contrasting contexts", but the really big shock came when he appeared on Rollins' The Bridge. At the time I knew him as the Chico Hamilton quintet's guitarist and in those days we foolishly believed that "East is East and West is West and never the twain ...." :)

I'm sorry to hear this. I can't honestly say that Jim Hall ever meant much to me; I've only got 3 albums on which he played: Paul Bryant's 'Burnin'' (PJ); Nat Adderly's 'That's right' (Riv); and the 3 volume set of Hamp Hawes 'All night long'.

Even in that small sample, there's plenty of variety there. A good guy.

RIP

MG

Many years ago I saw the duo of Jim Hall and Ron Carter at the Detroit Institute of the Arts. Great Jazz + Great Art = One of the best concerts I ever saw. RIP Jim Hall

Quick aside: Pretty sure there's a tape of that performance. A remarkable number of concerts at the museum in the 1970s and 80s were taped for archival purposes -- I saw a list last spring that was stunning and I recall seeing the Hall-Carter duo there. An incredible list of performers, from bebop to free jazz, with a major emphasis on the cats from Detroit in various combinations. I believe they are in the process of transfering many of the reel-to-reel tapes to digital but don't know where they are in the process. As you might imagine, I'm interesting in having a listen to more than a few ...

Not to divert the thread, but that news about the concerts taped at that Detroit museum is exciting--I saw a very memorable Sun Ra concert there near Halloween, 1980, in which the Arkestra played a lightly swinging, really together "Satin Doll" which I would love to hear again.

I'm sorry to hear this. I can't honestly say that Jim Hall ever meant much to me; I've only got 3 albums on which he played: Paul Bryant's 'Burnin'' (PJ); Nat Adderly's 'That's right' (Riv); and the 3 volume set of Hamp Hawes 'All night long'.

RIP

MG

Granted there wasn't really anything from Jim in the greasy/funky/dirty direction - I understand where you're coming from. Absence of that element from Bill Evans' playing was initially a barrier for me - but only initially. I remember a musician friend trying to convince me by arguing that this wasn't essential in a jazz performance.

RIP

MG

Granted there wasn't really anything from Jim in the greasy/funky/dirty direction - I understand where you're coming from. Absence of that element from Bill Evans' playing was initially a barrier for me - but only initially. I remember a musician friend trying to convince me by arguing that this wasn't essential in a jazz performance.

Well, the Paul Bryant album is somewhat greasy, without being swamped in GREEEAAAZZZE. But Jim Hall played very nice, clear guitar music, with a lovely sound, which was always a pleasure to hear, even though I never sought him out. It's not necessary to be a 'FAN' to appreciate and be glad for the existence of people who play well.

MG

I was fortunate to see him several times over the years. He was a true original, never afraid to adopt new technologies, to the dismay of some of his fans :-)

He's on many great sides with Chico Hamilton, Art Farmer, Jimmy Giuffre, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Paul Desmond, Ron Carter, and the list goes on and on. RIP, Jim.

Yeah, I have to admit I wasn't thrilled to hear him use a chorus device on some of his later stuff. I also wasn't too thrilled about some of the company he was keeping...

Quick aside: Pretty sure there's a tape of that performance. A remarkable number of concerts at the museum in the 1970s and 80s were taped for archival purposes -- I saw a list last spring that was stunning and I recall seeing the Hall-Carter duo there. An incredible list of performers, from bebop to free jazz, with a major emphasis on the cats from Detroit in various combinations. I believe they are in the process of transfering many of the reel-to-reel tapes to digital but don't know where they are in the process. As you might imagine, I'm interesting in having a listen to more than a few ...

Thanks Mark for the information. I'd love to hear more of the stuff taped at the Detroit Institute of Arts --I know they released a few of the concerts in the, I believe they called them the, "Underneath Detroit Series" and I picked them up but I was hoping they'd release more of them. I went to several concerts at that venue and they were all great. Hear's to hoping they release more!! That Jim Hall/Ron Carter duo concert was special --you could hear a pin drop as they played -- I know I was awestruck! [i obviously haven't figured out how to use the quote feature yet!]

Edited by JohnT

RIP. My Guitar Hero. I just saw him once at the Blue Note in 2000 with Joe Lovano: "Grand Slam" concerts. Marvelous. I got his autograph as well.

Yesterday, the french classical/jazz radio, after broadcasting the Sax Summit Paris '13 concert, they paid tribute to Jim Hall. A year ago they dedicated ten 1-hour programs to the guitarist, who was also interviewed by phone. You can find them here:

http://www.francemusique.fr/jazz/rencontre-avec-jim-hall-les-heures-exquises-du-maitre-des-guitaristes-13815

R.I.P.

Sad news. I'm gonna play the album 'Two Jims & Zoot' later, one of my favourites..

One of my favorites, too. Hall and Raney were an intense pairing, especially on "Move It" (think that's the title and think it's a Hall piece). The young Steve Swallow adds a lot to this date, as he does to the Art Farmer Quartet with Hall, and Walter Perkins or Pete LaRoca.

Keep in mind that Tony Williams asked him to join Lifetime before John McLaughlin got the gig ...

Really?! That's weird to even think about, would have made it a very different band, not bad, just different!

It shows how open minded he was considered. Hall declined, I can't remember the reasons nor where I read about it. Could have been somewhere on this board. He definitely was the most progressive of his generation, even without going "out".

Edited by mikeweil

Keep in mind that Tony Williams asked him to join Lifetime before John McLaughlin got the gig ...

Really?! That's weird to even think about, would have made it a very different band, not bad, just different!

It shows how open minded he was considered. Hall declined, I can't remember the reasons nor where I read about it. Could have been somewhere on this board. He definitely was the most progressive of his generation, even without going "out".

Yeah, his playing with Sonny goes right up to the edge of 'out'.

R.I.P.

Sad news. I'm gonna play the album 'Two Jims & Zoot' later, one of my favourites..

One of my favorites, too. Hall and Raney were an intense pairing, especially on "Move It" (think that's the title and think it's a Hall piece). The young Steve Swallow adds a lot to this date, as he does to the Art Farmer Quartet with Hall, and Walter Perkins or Pete LaRoca.

The other date he did with Zoot, featuring Ron Carter and some pianist named billevans, was also pretty special...

Don't forget his great work on Ornette's Science Fiction!