Woody Shaw - Complete Muse Recordings on Mosaic

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, no, I never would!

It's just that the packages were so outright ugly ... but I cherish the probably three dozen 32Jazz reissues I've amassed (most important being all the Sonny Stitts and the Shaws ... Camden jumped in to close the Stitt gap, luckily).

Did anyone get in touch and ask Mosaic about the chances for other Muse sets? If I may dream for a second: a Complete Clifford Jordan/Cedar Walton would be da shit!

I'm neither familiar with Muse nor Woody Shaw, although I've preordered the new Columbia box based purely on his rep.

Here's a list of Muse releases that I found. Anything here that would make a good Mosaic set?

Charles Earland, though it will never happen. Carlos Garnett would make a nice Select if they still were doing those. The aforementioned Jordan/Walton, though the Jordan sets were frustratingly inconsistent, in some cases because of overreach - Muse albums often sounded underrehearsed when they wer trying to accomplish something big. OTOH, Muse put out a lot of stuff in the 70's and early 80's that maybe never would have seen the light of day otherwise.

and I'd buy it just to have another booklet full of Woody Shaw bio, stories and photos too ! But there again, he is one of my favourite artists..

Me too, on all counts (especially another good, comprehensive booklet about Woody). Plus, when I consider the quality of the packaging of all those 32-Jazz issues, I've often longed for a better presentation of Shaw's Muse material (even if I'm not so hot on the later stuff either).

Woody's easily on my all-time top five list -- and the two names I mention most often when I meet other jazz fans (when trying to describe my tastes), are Andrew Hill and Woody Shaw. It'd be a crime for me not to have this set. Probably going to pre-order it this week.

On a side note, this should shake loose more copies into the after-market, of the Berliner Jazztage two-fer (with Iron Man), I've often longed to snap up extra copies of that "Berliner Jazztage" date, just to give to friends -- since it's SUCH an amazing recording. Really a crime that it's been so hard to find for a number of years now.

As a side issue I see that Woody's "Complete Columbia Albums" is due for release in the UK next week at a very reasonable price. I understand it contains some never before released material but I'm really interested in whether it does actually sound better than the Mosaic set. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth buying?

It's the same set as this one. As you see from the blurb, it's been remastered under the watch of Woody Shaw III and Michael Cuscuna and contains two hours of live material not in the Mosaic.

Yes, I know what it is, I just wondered how the remastering compared to the original Mosaic set which I already own.

Thanks for your comments, Lon.

So....if I replace my sysem with yours then it WILL sound better... :w

As a side issue I see that Woody's "Complete Columbia Albums" is due for release in the UK next week at a very reasonable price. I understand it contains some never before released material but I'm really interested in whether it does actually sound better than the Mosaic set. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth buying?

£16.99 at sainsbury.com is indeed "very reasonable" and very tempting indeed

I am really excited about this release. Michael Cuscuna hinted at this release in an email he sent me three years ago. I had given up hope. I would love a Carlos Garnett set but at the time MC said it was unlikely to happen. The Muse catalog is now under the control of SLG, LLC which is the Savoy Label Group. I wonder if any Savoy projects will be forthcoming?

Looks like it's a Woody Shaw blow-out coming up over the next few weeks. Thanks for that ! I'll order one with the bread and milk.. Nectar points too (32) :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

I've ordered this one--have very little of the Muse stuff. It would indeed be cool if this meant Mosaic was going to reissue some material from that label. I'd love to see a Sam Most set--very little of his music is available, and I thought he was a great jazz flutist.

gregmo

Looks like it's a Woody Shaw blow-out coming up over the next few weeks. Thanks for that ! I'll order one with the bread and milk.. Nectar points too (32) :lol:

damn, I forgot the Nectar points!

A Kenny Barron Muse set might be quite nice. A Cedar Walton set would be really great though ! If there's anyone who deserves the Mosaic treatment it's Cedar.

But I don't see their Muse recordings as highlights of either of their careers. Something like a Steeplechase Walton would be mighty to behold. I generally have preferred Barron as a sideman, though "Sunset to Dawn" on Muse is pretty great, but "Peruvian Blue" is nothing special, and "Lucifer" is pretty awful.

You know who deserves a Select from his Muse work (if the quantity is there) - Bill Barron. Three albums of knotty compositions and knowing playing. Not a slack moment to be heard.

Although - if Muse is now owned by Savoy, consider a combined Savoy/Muse set...hey, wouldn't that be something?

Bill Barron is still grossly under-appreciated, imo.

You know who deserves a Select from his Muse work (if the quantity is there) - Bill Barron. Three albums of knotty compositions and knowing playing. Not a slack moment to be heard.

Although - if Muse is now owned by Savoy, consider a combined Savoy/Muse set...hey, wouldn't that be something?

As was mentioned several times on this board there'll be no more Selects.

Edited by J.A.W.

I missed that news ... bummer. I miss the Mosaic Singles series as well. I have just about all of the 32 Jazz Shaw reissues, but I'll definitely be picking up the Mosaic set.

Missed this. Why, if I am might ask?