Philip Seymour Hoffman, RIP

J.A.W.

this is crazy.

Very sad, but what's crazy about a one-time addict dying of a drug overdose?

I tell you what, I just finished watching all the color Dragnets (1967-1970), and although, yes, the remembered over-the-top portrayal of hippie drug insanity was there as remembered, what was also there (and less remembered) was the sobering (and continuously proven true) message that there are too many unhappy endings to continued drug use. It's only fun until it's not, and what you're able to muster when it's not is so often literally a matter of life and/or death - and may or may not be a choice that you get to make for yourself. Blue-faced LSD boy was over-the-top, but people dieing from drugs, that's real, and no amount of misplaced-crazy TV will change that fact.

I really dug Hoffman's work. He will be missed. Dammit.

Shocking and sad, and yes, Jsngry, "crazy" was one of the first words that sprang to my mind as well. Probably my favorite actor and about my age. A number of the artists I've admired from my own generation have died young, or relatively young--David Foster Wallace, Elliott Smith, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and now Hoffman. They all had substance-abuse problems, which contributed directly or indirectly to the death in every instance except for Wallace and Smith (who were both sober when they killed themselves).

Edited by ghost of miles

From CNN:

A needle was in the actor's left arm, and eight empty glassine-type bags that usually contain heroin were found in the apartment, law enforcement sources told CNN.

The bags were stamped with "Ace of Hearts" and "Ace of Spades" -- street names for the heroin, the sources said.

I have never encountered heroin, and don't really know anything about the mindset of an addict when he/she is in the midst of using, but when I read that he was found with a needle in his arm, I immediately thought he must have taken a high dosage that took him down fast, if not instantly. And now this additional information (if true) that there were eight empty bags of the stuff in the apartment? It makes a person think that he likely would have, or should have known the dosage was excessive/dangerous/lethal.

But again, when an addict is in the middle of the storm, I suppose he/she doesn't care about any of that. And the line between getting high and basically killing yourself fades fast.

I, like others, always enjoyed his films and am saddened that a wonderfully creative man was taken far, far too soon. Tragic. RIP

I do watch Hollywood movies but I never heard of this guy, but his death is being rammed down my throat by the BBC and one of the national papers slavishly reproduces a claim from his camp that he had been clean for 23 years. Right. Culture industry marketing 'storm' (i.e. blip)..

Well, I've only seen him in three films - Capote, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and The Master - but he was pretty remarkable in all.

Ironic that in the second he played a wealthy and apparently successful man who was secretly addicted to heroin.

Edited by BillF