Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Bird on the Savoy/Atlantic set; and most of the Dexter on Chronogical Classics (admittedly, this set will be in better sound)

That leaves the Dizzy, Sonny Berman/Bill Harris/Ralph Burns, Howard McGhee, Erroll Garner, and Earl Coleman/Fats Navarro. Roughly half the set. Hmmm.

The Mosaic set reduces the 10 disc Toshiba box to 9 discs by combining disc 1 (Norvo) with disc 6 (Garner). Otherwise the program is identical.

Hm, I wonder what the info on the Mosaic page really means ... they acknowledge the Japanese set - would the "research" persons be the same as well, and what about remastering/restoration? Makes no sense to do it twice, I think, but then would this be the first time Mosaic simply takes over someone else's work? Or rather: would this be some kind of collaborative effort?

I am not a fan of any releases with track lists like this:

8. Congo Blues (false start 1) (A) 1:04

(Red Norvo)

9. Congo Blues (false start 2) (A) 1:14

(Red Norvo)

10. Congo Blues (tk A) (A) 3:59

(Red Norvo)

11. Congo Blues (tk B) (A) 3:51

(Red Norvo)

12. Congo Blues (tk.C) (A) 3:51

Give me 8. Conga Blues (released take) any day. They probably could have made it a 4-5 CD set if they did.

I've preordered it. The false starts etc. on Congo Blues don't bother me. There's a good chance this will sound excellent and I'll love having all these Dial sessions in one set. I could consolidate and move away some other cds for sure. If only they would now do the Bird studio and live Savoy sides. . . I'd love to have all those in a Mosaic set with their engineering and production care. Then they could do all the Lester Young Savoy sides. . . .and another box of the sides by Fats, Stan, Dex, etc.

Edited by jazzbo

Actually I don't like how the Savoy 8CD set programmes masters and alternates/breakdowns separately ... takes the whole flow out of hearing the actual session. They did a "complete master takes" set as well, I think, so why pull that trick on the complete set?

I liked this aspect of the Savoy box. I owned the 6 LPs released by Spotlite in the late '70's, and was always irritated that they never indicated which were the master takes.

Actually I don't like how the Savoy 8CD set programmes masters and alternates/breakdowns separately ... takes the whole flow out of hearing the actual session. They did a "complete master takes" set as well, I think, so why pull that trick on the complete set?

Me too, I like having the session unfold. But people have very strong opinions the other way. It makes me remember something my uncle Jack (The All-American Boy) Armstrong said: "I know in the past you couldn't please everyone all of the time, but it seems now you can't please anyone anytime."

I never listen to samples online, and I'm not always certain they are representative of the final product.

Yes, some complained on this forum. Some here complain the minute there's any hint of noise reduction. I have not had the problems with past sets others seem to have. And I remain hopeful that this set will sound very good. Horwich has used noise reduction very wisely in the past.

Edited by jazzbo

From Mosaic's website:

SOUND QUALITY

Steve Marlowe and Jonathan Horwich have performed miracles on the Dial catalog. Starting with the best transfers of the catalog which still left much to be desired, they used a process known as
Bit Density Processing (don’t ask) and were able to painstakingly remove every pop and tick and surface noise without sacrificing one iota of music. The results are stunning.

----------

I hope you're right, Lon. I'm definitely interested in this set.