Dmitry

Has the bottom fallen out of the Mosaic market?

206 posts in this topic

You are absolutely right about the Teddy Wilson set, Hans. It was the Oliver Nelson set that was about to end.

That Nelson set is an excellent example of the value of the Mosaic concept. I strongly doubt that I would ever have chased up all the albums covered by the set. There is some superb arranging and playing. I would include Cannonball's "Domination", but they had to consider size, and the album is easy to find.

I love the fact that Oliver didn't restrict himself to a "trumpet section", a "trombone section", a "saxophone section" and rhythm. He offers mixures of all the instruments, plus many extras, such as bass clarinets, flutes and other tasty tone colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Domination" fell in the domain of another record conglomeration at the time. I really find myself less and less interested in Nelson arranging as time goes by. His playing though is something to marvel at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tjazz said:

He’s making copies of the set. That is an unauthorized copying. FWIW, I’ve reported him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tjazz said:
YES, THESE ARE DVDs AND CD-Rs.  IF THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR YOU PLEASE DO *NOT* BID!  IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC!

What a little bitch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He still has a photo of genuine(-looking) Mosaic discs, though. Chancer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfectly legal in Trumpistan, I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see this happening. If I were to pass this week and my wife were to have to deal with my collection she'd see the discs first and sell those and then later find all the boxes and booklets in storage. . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jazzbo said:

I can see this happening. If I were to pass this week and my wife were to have to deal with my collection she'd see the discs first and sell those and then later find all the boxes and booklets in storage. . . .

Yeah, I've actually written a letter for my heirs as part of my will pointing to the need to put them all together!!

 

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jazzbo &gmonahan: You never refer to the large booklets (not the small session detail listings inside the jewel cases) when you listen to your Mosaics? And even put them out of reach in "storage"? :o

"Storage wars" fare one day, maybe, then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mosaics are all together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t there someone on the Board who had many of their boxes destroyed due to a youngster using them for Playtime construction projects? :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Beat Steve said:

@jazzbo &gmonahan: You never refer to the large booklets (not the small session detail listings inside the jewel cases) when you listen to your Mosaics? And even put them out of reach in "storage"? :o

"Storage wars" fare one day, maybe, then?

The booklets are all shelved right next to my recliner! But they are separate from the cds, which are shelved with all my other cds in alphabetical order. The boxes, on the other hand, are in my storage shed! So the three components are in different places--only slightly different for cds and booklets.

As Danny Kaye used to say, "Get it? Got it? Good!" :P

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good. Makes sense for the booklets but a pity for the boxes. Be sure to keep the rodents out over there. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

The booklets are all shelved right next to my recliner! But they are separate from the cds, which are shelved with all my other cds in alphabetical order. The boxes, on the other hand, are in my storage shed! So the three components are in different places--only slightly different for cds and booklets.

As Danny Kaye used to say, "Get it? Got it? Good!" :P

 

gregmo

Speaking of Danny Kaye, my favorite thing I have ever seen on network television is this episode of the 80's Twlight Zone, called "Paladin of the Lost Hour".   Based on an award-winning Harlan Ellison story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin_of_the_Lost_Hour

Closing narration is :

 

“Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment. A blessing of the 18th Egyptian Dynasty: God be between you and harm in all the empty places you walk.”

OK, back to storing your Mosaic sets, or lamenting that they aren't selling on demand at $200 anymore.

Image result for danny kaye twilight zone"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t there someone on the Board who had many of their boxes destroyed due to a youngster using them for Playtime construction projects? :o

Ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

Ouch

 

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t there someone on the Board who had many of their boxes destroyed due to a youngster using them for Playtime construction projects? :o

As I remember it, it was one box (Andrew Hill?) used as a drawing board for the kids in the backseat of the car. Then, suddenly, the box was gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

@jazzbo &gmonahan: You never refer to the large booklets (not the small session detail listings inside the jewel cases) when you listen to your Mosaics? And even put them out of reach in "storage"? :o

"Storage wars" fare one day, maybe, then?

Honest to gosh I avoid blows to the head and brain cell destroying things and I have a pretty darned good memory, not "photographic," but pretty darned good. I read those booklets a few times before storing them, and I remember what I need to from them. I do on occasion pluck a few out to peruse while going through the sets, they are in climate controlled storage and in a cabinet I can access easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only in America. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

 

As I remember it, it was one box (Andrew Hill?) used as a drawing board for the kids in the backseat of the car. Then, suddenly, the box was gone. 

That’s the one I was thinking of, Daniel. The Hill box - yikes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my Mosaic jewel cases are a bit scuffed. Some of the inserts have kinks and fingerprints. I’m a bad bad man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Some of my Mosaic jewel cases are a bit scuffed. Some of the inserts have kinks and fingerprints. I’m a bad bad man. 

You a badass!  :D  Do you also throw out OBI strips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjzee said:

You a badass!  :D  Do you also throw out OBI strips?

I always threw out obi strips. In fact, for my first purchases of TOCJ CDs, I pulled out the staples from the booklet and threw out the Japanese liner notes and just kept the folded up paper with the English liners. :) I don't do that anymore, but at the time, they just made the booklet thicker and harder to pull out so I got rid of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

You a badass!  :D  Do you also throw out OBI strips?

Um...

 

Perhaps weirdly, I had kept all the OBIs from the Conn series (not in a climate controlled cabinet), then on a whim threw away HALF of them. And kept the other half. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.