So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

12 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

:tup

Now playing:

51kUmyMqBdL._AC_.jpg

Cool Struttin is the ultimate hard bop album. I have heard in Japan in the 80´s or 90´s or early 2000´s were tea houses where they always spinned music like this, I mean "Cool Struttin", "Blue Train", Donaldson´s "Blues Walk" and so on. 

And.....oh yeah....the cover photo is fantastic, it has everything I like and you can imagine how day dreams for a jazz loving teenager were "one day I´ll get it, one day I´lll have a woman with legs like this....." 

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Cool Struttin is the ultimate hard bop album. 

I do agree with you, Gheorghe. Hard textures predominate. Sonny's touch is very percussive and hardly resonates at all. (I hear something similar in Walter Davis of the same era.)

Jackie, too, of course. Compare him with the much softer sound of Hank on Dial S for Sonny. That album has Louis Hayes, who is considerably less hard and aggressive than Philly on Cool Struttin'.

The only player on the album whose "hard" credentials could be questioned is Farmer, who was sufficiently versatile to be a member of the Gerry Mulligan quartet not long after.

Edited by BillF

2 hours ago, BillF said:

I do agree with you, Gheorghe. Hard textures predominate. Sonny's touch is very percussive and hardly resonates at all. (I hear something similar in Walter Davis of the same era.)

Jackie, too, of course. Compare him with the much softer sound of Hank on Dial S for Sonny. That album has Louis Hayes, who is considerably less hard and aggressive than Philly on Cool Struttin'.

The only player on the album whose "hard" credentials could be questioned is Farmer, who was sufficiently versatile to be a member of the Gerry Mulligan quartet not long after.

Right, Art Farmer didn´t make many records for BN, I think he was with Hank on some Horace Silver album.........oh yeah, on "No Smokin´" since I like to play that tune....

I have only one Art Farmer record, it´s "To Duke with Love". He was a regular here in Viena and played at least twice for several days at a club..... 

During the 70´s I heard a very very strange remark from a club owner, who booked a lot of great musicians, but when some guy at the bar asked if Art Farmer also will play at that joint he said "no comment about Art Farmer". The customer insisted "why ?" and the club owner answerd: "Art Farmer tries to be whiter than the whites..." :huh: