ghost of miles

Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

232 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I wonder how many recordings have Charlie Christian with Goodman?  I did get to listen to 2 recordings. 

There are 7 Goodman recordings with Charlie Christian that I listen to when I was there.

Edited by miles65
Typu

14 hours ago, medjuck said:

Good music, good narration.  But it would be nice if Loren would NOT talk over the music, telling us the soloists when they've already been introduced.  This certainly whets one's appetite for an issue.  I hope the Ellington family/executors can come to a reasonable agreement and share Duke's genius once again.

I'll give even odds, better than evn, actually,  that the voice-overs are to foil bootlegging. You can do that, or you can do the recurring momentary fades.

He explained that it's to make it "educational" so that the estates can't force them to take it down. 

19 hours ago, medjuck said:

He explained that it's to make it "educational" so that the estates can't force them to take it down. 

Okay.  Makes good sense.

On 23.10.2018 at 11:11 PM, JSngry said:

I'll give even odds, better than evn, actually,  that the voice-overs are to foil bootlegging. You can do that, or you can do the recurring momentary fades.

Just out of sheer curiosity:

There was a time in the pre-digital days when (put in an oversimplified manner) the sound restorer would individually tape off pops, crackles, scratches and other "out" sounds from a slooooow-running tape of the track to be restored and thus eliminate this foreign noise to the extent possible at all. Time-consuming but would this be possible today and with today#s technology with voice-overs too (if somebody wanted to go to that extreme trouble)? I've often wondered if something could be done about this sort of "foreign noise" in the case of basically interesting recordings where the announcer (or whoever ...)  talks right into the tune/music.

Edited by Big Beat Steve