Lyin' Wolf

What's next for Mosaic

168 posts in this topic

The Wilson and Savory sets are released.  Sets listed on the site are dwindling - seemingly in a strategy to reduce the costs associated with carrying that inventory.  Or, I suppose - to eventually shut down. 

Anything in the pipeline as far as new sets go?

48 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

[…] seemingly in a strategy to reduce the costs associated with carrying that inventory […]

So no liquidity is a ‘strategy’...

Reducing inventory and, thus, costs is part of a strategy but it can't be your only course of action.  

I've been wondering what might be in the pipeline. 

Edited by Brad

Ricky Riccardi has suggested that they're thinking about a set of the George Avakian/Columbia/Armstrong  studio recordings. 

Edited by medjuck

I don’t think that would appeal to me but I’m sure it would be successful for Mosaic. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Ricky Riccardi has suggested that they're thinking about a set of the George Avakian/Columbia/Armstrong  studio recordings. 

Weren't all of these reissued on single CDs, with bonus tracks?

How about a Gary Burton RCA Box ?

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Weren't all of these reissued on single CDs, with bonus tracks?

I don't know.  I think there were at least some takes issued on the original cd release of the WC Handy record that weren't on the later cd.  And then there's Pops teaching Lotte Lenya how to syncopate Mack the Knife that's on an Avakian produced Kurt Weil cd.  

Edited by medjuck

Action figures. Let's have action figures.

9 hours ago, bebopbob said:

How about a Gary Burton RCA Box ?

Quote from this post: " Michael Cuscuna told me that they did indeed begin the planning for a Burton RCA set at one point, but that they were unable to secure the rights for it because Sony wanted a guaranteed number of sets that was higher than what Mosaic felt was financially viable. "

It's interesting and a little disconcerting that we currently know of no pipeline sets.  I know there was encouraging talk reported during the garage sale but do they really have literally no solid plans at this time? Are they depending on the Savory and Wilson sets to finance the next one(s) and have to wait and see?

Or could this really be it and they didn't want that news out yet? 

It's fun to speculate but we don't know what's taking place one way or the other. This same discussion could have taken place last year at this time and lo and behold we not only got the Wilson set, but the Savory set.  In other words, nobody knows. 

4 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

When's the Bill Barron?

You missed it. 

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Action figures. Let's have action figures.

24f8d64de72d5160626da8407eca4a69.jpg

Speaking of Doritos, did you know they were originally created at Disneyland? 

5 hours ago, David Ayers said:

You missed it. 

I must pay more attention. Probably deleted the notification email thinking it was more GDPR guff.  Think I must have most of it already but .....

Edited by Clunky

Speaking of which, I haven't seen any updates from Mosaic in the data privacy area. If nothing else, maybe we could request them to release a new GDPR compliant privacy policy? 

Someone must handle legal matters for them. 

I'm seriously starting to get a picture of the store being at best lightly minded, with Blue Barron records playing when it is.

Scott has mentioned other possibilities, but the only one I know of that seems to be in some kind of motion is the aforementioned Armstrong. At one point they were considering an Art Pepper Contemporary set, but that didn’t pan out.

The Pepper never made sense as a Mosaic. As a body of work it is a monument to Pepper and Koenig, but I do not see anything gained by the Mosaic treatment.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, David Ayers said:

So no liquidity is a ‘strategy’...

As Brad said, better inventory management is part of a strategy.  I didn't think my remark would have been taken as "this is the single strategy that will save our company".

I'm not a businessman, so perhaps you know better, but inventory management seems like a sound way to control costs.  Having hundreds or thousands of sets sitting on shelves in a warehouse doesn't seem to be very liquid, or smart, to me - especially when no one is buying the product because you may have pressed too many sets. 

Edited by Lyin' Wolf

On 5/26/2018 at 5:31 PM, medjuck said:

Merchandise. Records won't be enough.

5ac1148d262d9d2802a5a88fca2c822f.jpg

11 hours ago, David Ayers said:

You missed it. 

What, what?  When??