sonnymax

Did you throw out your stimulus payment by mistake?

17 posts in this topic

Every week or so I get credit card applications and other unsolicited offers in the mail. I barely look at them let alone open the envelope. I just toss it in the recycling bin without a second thought. This morning, I read that some people may accidentally have tossed their stimulus payment in the trash because it looks like junk mail. The return address on the plain, white envelope is "Money Network Cardholder Services". Typical junk mail, right? So I take a look in the recycling bin and sure enough, there it was!

If you're expecting a mailed stimulus payment, you can check on the status of your payment here: get my payment

And here's the article that that got my attention: nbcnews/business 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really smart but I can be stupid. Did not make  that error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine came in an envelope that made me think it was an IRS notice, and I could see the Treasury check format via the front envelope window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised by an electronic deposit, not requested and much earlier than I expected.

In recent years I've gotten refunds from the IRS and elected e-deposit. They apparently went ahead and sent the stimulus $  to the account/routing #s on file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it and already spent most of it on an air-conditioning repair. Keeping Kool thanx to Kovid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours came as a debit card.  I only knew to check it closely because I was tracking online when it would be sent to me.  I just transferred the money to bank account today, hoping I did it right (assuming I did), will find out Monday or Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IRS gives you plastic?

 

53 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Got it and already spent most of it on an air-conditioning repair. Keeping Kool thanx to Kovid!

No, wait, I spent it all on part of the total cost of the AC repair. For some reason I was thinking we got 4K, but of course we did not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSngry said:

The IRS gives you plastic?

Yep.

Stimulus debit cards causing some to accidentally toss them in the ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a scam.   My card showed my first name and my wife's last name.   Fortunately I didn't throw it away.   Once I was convinced it wasn't a scam I tried to activate the card by using the web site and then tried to transfer the funds to my checking account.   The transfer didn't take place.   Two days later at a trip to Home Depot I decided to test the card to see if I could make a physical transaction.  It wanted a PIN number.  I wasn't provided a PIN when I registered online.  Sigh.  This morning I dialed the credit card phone number and used the automated activation method.  It required me to provide the last six digits of my SSN and once validated it asked me to provide a 4 digit PIN.   I think I'm ready to stimulate...

I didn't get a cover letter and signature by the POTUS, I thought that was part of the deal.  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely the first I've heard of IRS plastic. (I got my payment to the checking account where we've had previous refunds sent - I got the money quite early in the process. A friend ended up finding out that his $$ went to an old account but that got fixed pretty quickly actually.

Money is fungible and all but cards wouldn't be very helpful for people using the stimulus payment for rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t the next batch of stimulus money going to be distributed via debit card ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if these debit cards will have expiration dates.  This money is still going to be taxed as income, right?  So if some one were to use one of these debit cards and perhaps used say 90% of the funds before they set it aside and forgot about it, would the remaining 10% of funds expire after a set period of time?  One would still have to pay taxes on the full amount even if one did not use the full amount of funds provided.  I'm guessing the govt. beancounters hope it works out that way.  People forget to finish off gift cards all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I'm curious if these debit cards will have expiration dates.  This money is still going to be taxed as income, right?  So if some one were to use one of these debit cards and perhaps used say 90% of the funds before they set it aside and forgot about it, would the remaining 10% of funds expire after a set period of time?  One would still have to pay taxes on the full amount even if one did not use the full amount of funds provided.  I'm guessing the govt. beancounters hope it works out that way.  People forget to finish off gift cards all the time.

They do have expiration dates.  Mine is July 2023.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, T.D. said:

I was surprised by an electronic deposit, not requested and much earlier than I expected.

In recent years I've gotten refunds from the IRS and elected e-deposit. They apparently went ahead and sent the stimulus $  to the account/routing #s on file.

same here. Donated most of it to bail funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the IRS website and gave an account # for deposit. I believe this sped up the process. The IRS website also has a link for tracking your check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.