Arnett Cobb

Guy Berger

I got the chance to meet and hear him live when I lived in Austin. He was, of course, on crutches at that point but he was still playing his ass off. He got a sound like no other.

I've always liked his Prestige/OJC sides (from around 1960). "When My Dreamboat Comes Home" on Party Time is pure pleasure. The companion More Party Time is also great.

Also, Blows For 1300 is a good choice.

Edited by Free For All

His sound was really something.

I bought this Hampton cd for my dad without ever hearing it.

d70308x2q94.jpg

A couple of weeks later while visiting and playing cards with my dad and some other family, he threw the disc in, and I got a quick introduction to the late great Arnett Cobb. Dude had/has real soul. :tup

Edited by catesta

The Okeh sides included in the Ocium CD are exactly those available on the Epic two-LP-set Okeh Jazz and were probably dubbed from that ananlog source. I find these Okeh sides to be even better than the Apollo sides on the Delmark CD, musically and sonically. There is also a CD in the Classics series that includes the Apollo sides and some scattered sideman dates featuring Cobb from that time period, I'd recommend this to avoid duplication and hope there will a sequel in the near future covering the Okehs.

Any Cobb I heard is great, he was real high energy tenor with Lionel Hampton and screamed with more musical substance and deeper excitemement than Jacquet, IMHO. The Hampton sides with Cobb are on Classics 803, 922 and 946, with Jacquet, Johnny Griffin and others at hand for comparison.

And hell yeah, he outblew all the others on that Prestige Very Saxy session! What an achievement! :tup

• 1 year later...

Dredging up this thread to second the nomination of Cobb's OKeh sides. This past week I found a CD reissue of the OKEH JAZZ LP that Mike mentions. The CD I found is a Sony Special Products reissue from 1992, and the remastering is quite well-done.

Lots of other good stuff on OKEH JAZZ too by the way - including Ahmad Jamal's 1951-2 trio with Ray Crawford on guitar (6 of the 8 tracks included in Mosaic's COMPLETE JAZZ PIANO MOODS SESSIONS); Wild Bill Davis' organ trio with Bill Jennings on guitar; and an all-star small group (including Dexter Gordon, Willie Smith, Jimmy Rowles, Howard McGhee, and Red Callendar) backing vocalist Mary Ann McCall. Well worth it if you find it in a used bin somewhere.

Oh, and one more I forgot and I'm adding in as an edit: there's a few tracks by "Little Johnny Griffin," yes that's Johnny Griffin to us, with Babs Gonzales doing vocals! Stuff that was recorded shortly before he began working with Blakey, then started recording solo under his "familiar" moniker! ;)

Edited by DrJ

• 1 month later...

Movin' Right Along is a lot of fun. Tommy Flanagan and Bobby Timmons on piano! I also liked one of the Black & Blues that was released in this country on Inner City (Classic Jazz), but don't remember its name.

I saw Arnett once, probably in the early '80's; he opened for Big Joe Turner at Tramps. He had his crutches, of course, but boy did he play! It was an odd sort of geriatric show, since Big Joe came onstage with a cane, and sang sitting in a folding chair...and Doc Pomus was in the audience in a wheelchair. Percy France was the saxophonist for Big Joe that night.

• 4 years later...

By the way, I eventually picked up More Party Time -- a great CD! I have mixed feelings about Bobby Timmons's playing but he's terrific on this album. :tup

Guy

And almost 5 years later they're asking over $120 for used copies of More Party Time over at amazon. Yoikes!

Party Time, otoh, can be had new for the sane price of $10.

Which I guess proves the point, the after-party is the one you want to go to (as long as they wave the cover charge) :P

If you can find the Muse LP's "Live at Sandy's" it's a winner. There are a total of six LP's (!!!) from this all star session, two each by Cobb, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, and Buddy Tate, all recorded over two nights at Sandy's in Beverly, MA in 1977. Also worth mentioning is the top notch rhythm section of Ray Bryant, George Duvivier, and Alan Dawson. I went two nights that week, on one of which they were recording.

All that has come out on CD is one Arnett Cobb title, contaning the first LP and part of the second. This might make a good Mosaic Select!

If you can find the Muse LP's "Live at Sandy's" it's a winner. There are a total of six LP's (!!!) from this all star session, two each by Cobb, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, and Buddy Tate, all recorded over two nights at Sandy's in Beverly, MA in 1977. Also worth mentioning is the top notch rhythm section of Ray Bryant, George Duvivier, and Alan Dawson. I went two nights that week, on one of which they were recording.

All that has come out on CD is one Arnett Cobb title, contaning the first LP and part of the second. This might make a good Mosaic Select!

Jack - There were actually 2 CDs issued from the "Live At Sandy's" sessions.

Arnett Cobb and The Muse All Stars - Live At Sandy's - Muse 5558 (8 tracks)

Live At Sandy's - 32 Jazz 32149 (8 tracks)

4 tunes appear on both CDs.

Here are 3 worthwhile Arnett Cobb CDs that have not yet been mentioned.

Arnett Cobb Is Back - Progressive 7037

Arnett Cobb/Jimmy Heath/Joe Henderson - Tenor Tribute - Soul Note 121184-2

Arnett Cobb/Jimmy Heath/Joe Henderson - Tenor Tribute Vol.2 - Soul Note 121194-2

• 13 years later...

My03MDU4LmpwZWc.jpeg

This album was mistitled. It should have been called Scorchin'. Arnett Cobb does not blow. He scorches.

Not to mention that Lock was a flamethrower too. This album has more heat than your customary free jazz blowout. The whole proceeding is served well done—no oven needed. 🌋

2 hours ago, Late said:

My03MDU4LmpwZWc.jpeg

This album was mistitled. It should have been called Scorchin'. Arnett Cobb does not blow. He scorches.

Not to mention that Lock was a flamethrower too. This album has more heat than your customary free jazz blowout. The whole proceeding is served well done—no oven needed. 🌋

Hello! 

Your soul will need a lifetime of skin grafting to recover from even the most casual hearing, never mind repeated serious listening.