What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is it a Japan only thing? It looks like an inner sleeve. Interesting stuff.

How is this one?

The Cassandra is a mystery to me, everything except the song titles is in Japanese. Only English language info I can find online is the Discogs entry.  She's singing standards with a piano trio. I've always loved her voice since first hearing her in about '85 so this was a lovely surprise

The Azamiah is a very pleasant Jazzy Soul album, very of today. Not earth shattering by any means but works as a nice diversion. From Scotland, part of that country's "Jazz" scene that's produced a couple of nice things recently 

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The new one! How is it on first listen?

Only three tracks or so in, so far very Irreversible Entanglements. They seem to have co-opted a pianist for some tunes.  Possibly a bit tightened up, shorter tracks. Camae Ayewa still to full effect not offering anything much by way of lyrical compromise.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I like mostly those Max Roach recordings that come very near to the Max Roach I saw live, that means quartet recordings, in the best case with Bridgwater, Harper, Workman, that was the best edition I heard. The later Calvin Hill and Odeon Pope stuff was good too, but the sound of Calvin Hill´s bass was not so natural like Reggie Workman´s sound. 
And I don´t know why Roach later started to use an electric bass. 

Other albums have to little similar to live music on it. I think I have one that has Roach with a quite atonal sounding String Quartet, that sounds much more like western abstract music. 

And the famous "Double Quartet", well some of it is nice sometimes, but , of course it´s my fault, but strings sounds somehow "funny" to my ears in most of the cases......

I would like to have seen the group with Odean live. Hell, I would have liked to see Max live -- had one opportunity in the late 90s (going to college in Kansas) but he was ill and could not make the concert.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Everytime you, and possibly @Pim, post that I think I must get a copy, so thinking that again now

Yes, the process is as follows:

Get caught up on this thread.  Go to discogs, buy stuff.  Wait for package, listen, cherish and enjoy.  How a 61 year old gets his kicks LOL

Edit:  other sub-steps:  check budget, put on mental "buy list" for browsing locally.  Keeps the mind limber.

40 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I would like to have seen the group with Odean live. Hell, I would have liked to see Max live -- had one opportunity in the late 90s (going to college in Kansas) but he was ill and could not make the concert.

Kansas?  Do tell!!

(lived here since 1977)

Edited by Eric

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

Get caught up on this thread.  Go to discogs, buy stuff.  Wait for package, listen, cherish and enjoy.  How a 61 year old gets his kicks LOL

Edit:  other sub-steps:  check budget, put on mental "buy list" for browsing locally.  Keeps the mind limber.

Absolutely this, age too

17 minutes ago, Eric said:

What about the guilt? You're missing the crippling guilt. That's my favourite part.

59 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

They played at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth in August of 1987. It was great. They played Scott-Free for like an hour. Blew the roof off the place. In the second set, Max Roach took his snare drum and a high hat to the front of the stage and played a history of jazz drumming. Amazing.

I got to see Max with Odean in Carnegie Hall! Newport/New York 1980. I was expecting Billy, so Odean was a total shock to the system. A most invigorating shock! Apparently this was one of his first gigs with that band. He dove in headfirst. Slashed in, in fact! 

But Billy had his own group at the same festival. They played outside on Sunday afternoon iirc, and made the air dance!

All of those guys, no matter how strong they sound on records, they sound even stronger live. 

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Well  thats ok  noone can know everything ..... and I dont have  myself  details of the Zagreb RTV

bigband except some translated linernotes. I do  like big band music from  all european countries beside the  USA bands 

Pl. see the attached scan probably it helps a bit. Arrangers are not listed. BTW jazz behing "the Iron Curtain" at these times were a rarity for the western collectors.

.46427003ya.jpg

No worries, thanks. I also like big bands and have a thing for certain arrangers. Not everybody can do it with panache! 

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What about the guilt? You're missing the crippling guilt. That's my favourite part.

LOL, yes there is that.  I put myself on a budget, spending a lot less than I used to, but enough to stay in the game 😊. Bought the Fathers and Sons record for less than $10, looking forward to it, especially the Freeman side. 

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

He was supposed to play as part of a dance-jazz ensemble at KU's Lied Center in like 1998 or 1999. I went anyway and it was cool, but no Max. I can't remember how they refashioned it without him exactly.

Check, yeah I live in KC but did not hear about that one.  Like the Lied Center though!

On 10/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, mjazzg said:

Everytime you, and possibly @Pim, post that I think I must get a copy, so thinking that again now

It’s been a while I spun that record but remember that I was slightly disappointed and expected more from this line up. I had trouble with the vocals. Perhaps I should revisit it and give it another try.

Edited by Pim

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm with you on this, if it helps.

It does ;) @mjazzg and @HutchFan are mostly like minded in jazz with me and a pretty good reference in what I like and not so when they like something and I don’t I start doubting myself…

now spinning :

IMG-4940.jpg

Intense stuff. One of his jewels on Milestone. Great sound by the way :)

5 minutes ago, Pim said:

It does ;) @mjazzg and @HutchFan are mostly like minded in jazz with me and a pretty good reference in what I like and not so when they like something and I don’t I start doubting myself…

now spinning :

IMG-4940.jpg

Intense stuff. One of his jewels on Milestone. Great sound by the way :)

But some divergence is healthy, for instance I've never got on with Tyner's Milstones 😄