Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/14/2023 at 1:45 PM, bresna said:

Kirsten Edkins - Shapes & Sound (Cohearent). I picked this up mainly after listening to a few sound samples. It's OK but I'm not sure about all the hype it got just because it was Kevin Gray's new label.

I still scratch my head on that title & cover.

image.jpeg.f0d5f13798c1c5a935444b5000a535a9.jpeg

I don't mind the cover but the title is a bit odd, considering...

On 11/14/2023 at 5:00 PM, bresna said:

Red Garland - Strike Up The Band (Galaxy). Red with a pretty good band: George Coleman, Julian Priester, Ron Carter & Ben Riley.

If you find this in a cheapie bin, give it a try. About the only negative is the lousy bass recording quality, which you'll get with most recordings from 1979.

image.jpeg.02d27109bccf1d8c14f97613b3096c29.jpeg

Oh, those Garland albums on Galaxy came out when I was playin already , so maybe I didn´t have the time anymore to buy many records or might have thought I already have one or two 50´s Garland LPs, whatever. 

But now I regret I didn´t buy them. Sounds like a dream team with that line up, all of them favourites of mine. 
In that year 1979 I had seen Ron Carter with Ben Riley and Kenny Barron !!!! 

The "lousy" bass recording sound you describe, may have been just Ron´s style, he was THE acoustic bass player of the 70´s and that bass sound was the sound a bass had . Acustic purists might have found it ugly and would prefer let´s say Ray Brown, but that was the times and I must admit I still like it on those 70´s records. 
There were many Galaxy albums that would have interested me. I think it was also some Sadao Watanabe with Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, and so on....., the only Galaxy I have is "Return of the Griffin". 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The "lousy" bass recording sound you describe, may have been just Ron´s style, he was THE acoustic bass player of the 70´s and that bass sound was the sound a bass had . Acustic purists might have found it ugly and would prefer let´s say Ray Brown, but that was the times and I must admit I still like it on those 70´s records. 

There were many Galaxy albums that would have interested me. I think it was also some Sadao Watanabe with Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, and so on....., the only Galaxy I have is "Return of the Griffin". 

I'm pretty sure that most jazz recordings with an acoustic bass that were recorded in the late 70s-mid 80's used pickup with a direct patch to the soundboard instead of a microphone. This gives the bass a twangy sound that just doesn't sound right.

40 minutes ago, bresna said:

I'm pretty sure that most jazz recordings with an acoustic bass that were recorded in the late 70s-mid 80's used pickup with a direct patch to the soundboard instead of a microphone. This gives the bass a twangy sound that just doesn't sound right.

oh this is very interesting and might be for more discussion on the topic I have opened about Ron Carter in the Artists category.