Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Ni0xMzQ5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Japan

😁 👍

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

115562508.jpg

Today's purchase, Japanese Edition. Came with a nice letter from Billy intending to explain the music - presumably to one of his students. Unexpected find !

👍 😁 ave the vinyl for quite some time. Very 'cool' session.

4 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Mi04NjY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Japan

Nice! Great music.

😁 👍

Just finished - Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Live (Columbia UK/Jazzman). I assume they told the live audience that this was being recorded and to hold your (polite) applause until the end of the tune or else this live audience doesn't sound very into the music. :)

image.jpeg.41117552dcb1daf7d3a849d83159f7a7.jpeg

Now playing Kenny Dorham - Kenny Dorham Memorial Album (Xanadu).

image.thumb.jpeg.597d111edd21bd18cdf2399a039e7d9c.jpeg

On 11/22/2023 at 12:12 PM, mjazzg said:

I have and really enjoy 'Cool Jojo', is there anything else like that in his discography?

yeah, some of Lonely Woman gets into the Bauer zone, and it's certainly present on his earlier straight-ahead albums (although his phrasing to me seems a bit less pronounced/didactic on those). I also assume that this approach crops up in spots on later Takayanagi CD-Rs though some of those I have not heard.

On 11/23/2023 at 3:06 PM, bresna said:

Just finished - Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Live (Columbia UK/Jazzman). I assume they told the live audience that this was being recorded and to hold your (polite) applause until the end of the tune or else this live audience doesn't sound very into the music. :)

image.jpeg.41117552dcb1daf7d3a849d83159f7a7.jpeg

Now playing Kenny Dorham - Kenny Dorham Memorial Album (Xanadu).

image.thumb.jpeg.597d111edd21bd18cdf2399a039e7d9c.jpeg

It was a specially invited audience at Lansdowne Studios, sort of a mini party put on by producer Denis Preston. One or two celebs present e.g. actor John Le Mesurier.

That studio space is now someone's posh kitchen !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

It was a specially invited audience at Lansdowne Studios, sort of a mini party put on by producer Denis Preston. One or two celebs present e.g. actor John Le Mesurier.

That studio space is now someone's posh kitchen !

I think you can hear Alf Garnett actor Warren Mitchell at some points in this recording.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, kh1958 said:

Dizzy Gillespie and Roy Eldridge, The Trumpet Kings (Clef)

Ronnie Lang, Modern Jazz (Tops)image.jpeg.bdb70617f4af14033f124b173dd6d841.jpeg

image.jpeg.30438b2671ea3bb53ac26cbdb488737e.jpeg

That Ronnie Lang record is v good. Fluent West Coast alto at its finest. Great sleeve, I couldn’t resist buying that years back in a great record shop in Santa Cruz. The pre eBay years when you could pick up stuff pretty cheap. 

8 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I think you can hear Alf Garnett actor Warren Mitchell at some points in this recording.

That Ronnie Lang record is v good. Fluent West Coast alto at its finest. Great sleeve, I couldn’t resist buying that years back in a great record shop in Santa Cruz. The pre eBay years when you could pick up stuff pretty cheap. 

It is a solid West Coast jazz date. I convinced myself to buy it (a $5 investment) because of the familiar sidemen, Marty Paich, Dave Pell,  and Bob Enevoldsen

On 11/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, mjazzg said:

That makes it sound particularly intriguing 

Interesting I haven't heard Tristano in Masayuki's sound ...only the that of an angle grinder.  Kidding aside his music on "Tread on sure Ground" is very fine. Cinedelic Italy have reissued this on vinyl (Juno, Soundohm etc). Pressing is excellent IMO and way way better than I was expecting. Cool JoJo sounds positively mainstream from the clips I've heard by comparison.