• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎22‎.‎03‎.‎2019 at 0:29 PM, paul secor said:

R-1818554-1453961404-1605.jpeg.jpg

Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin'

I´ve read once that some years ago there were coffee or tea houses in Japan where they played non stop jazz records and mostly "hard bop" and that "Cool Struttin" was something like a "trademark", you heard it very very often, "Cool Struttin" and Donaldson´s "Blues Walk".

This is hard bop at it´s best, and who does not love the cover photo

11 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

STEVE LACY: THE SUPREME INTERPRETER OF THE MUSIC OF THELONIOUS MONK

not to mention his own tunes, which often get left by the wayside. I remember a Lacy concert in KC, a fine duo with Danilo Perez, and the interviewer/announcer didn't ask him a single question about his own music or ensembles, poetry, painting, or any of his other interests. I was shocked at the time and still am.

T

13 minutes ago, paul secor said:

R-1818027-1474365723-8048.jpeg.jpg

The Shepp mid-70s quintet - Greenlee, Burrell, Brown, Harris - on a wild ride.

That's a GREAT album, especially the ultimate recorded version of "African Drum Suite", desperately in need of CD release

5 hours ago, felser said:

T

That's a GREAT album, especially the ultimate recorded version of "African Drum Suite", desperately in need of CD release

I never thought others might have this :D. I bought it 1979 at a Jazz Festival (Velden) and they had a bus transformed in a kind of "record shop" with the strangest and most obscure records I ever saw. I think the label was a totally obscure one. Never heard of it. The whole thing looked like some bootleg. But the music was great, especially Beaver Harris was one of the greatest, but underrated drummers. I think, this was a kind of transition period for Shepp: Years before he would not play a swing rhythm like he does here I think on "Blues for Donald Duck". But 2 or 3 years later he became even more conservative and played standards just with a regular quartet.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I never thought others might have this :D. I bought it 1979 at a Jazz Festival (Velden) and they had a bus transformed in a kind of "record shop" with the strangest and most obscure records I ever saw. I think the label was a totally obscure one. Never heard of it. The whole thing looked like some bootleg. But the music was great, especially Beaver Harris was one of the greatest, but underrated drummers. I think, this was a kind of transition period for Shepp: Years before he would not play a swing rhythm like he does here I think on "Blues for Donald Duck". But 2 or 3 years later he became even more conservative and played standards just with a regular quartet.

I had a similar reaction in the old ‘Recommended Records’ in Earls Court, London. Went in once, didn’t buy anything and never went back. Unbenownest to me, somewhere in that shop, they stocked Sun Ra Saturn direct from the horse’s mouth. ;)

That was definitely the strangest vinyl shop I ever went in.  Totally out of kilter with the rest, at that time. Zero bop content that I could see.

Edited by sidewinder

36 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I had a similar reaction in the old ‘Recommended Records’ in Earls Court, London. Went in once, didn’t buy anything and never went back. Unbenownest to me, somewhere in that shop, they stocked Sun Ra Saturn direct from the horse’s mouth. ;)

That was definitely the strangest vinyl shop I ever went in.  Totally out of kilter with the rest, at that time. Zero bop content that I could see.

Same impressions here in Austria during that time. And they had some records from a to me quite obscure label "Trip Records". I purchased Dolphy´s "Jitterbug Waltz" I think on such a label, with quite a cheap and ugly cover and almost no infos. And they had bad quality....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Same impressions here in Austria during that time. And they had some records from a to me quite obscure label "Trip Records". I purchased Dolphy´s "Jitterbug Waltz" I think on such a label, with quite a cheap and ugly cover and almost no infos. And they had bad quality....

Yes. Trip Records was a strange and mysterious reissue label, ugly grotesque album covers, horrible vinyl and should quality, but some really interesting music by some of my favorite artists that I otherwise had never seen or heard of before.

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I totally agree with your analysis of Shepp during this period, and with your esteem for Beaver Harris.  I saw that group live at the Foxhole on Penn's campus, and they blew me away, especially Harris.  I also saw him a couple years later with George Adams/Hannibal Peterson at the Ethical Center, same reaction.  This, to me, was Shepp's prime period, good as his earlier work was.

23 minutes ago, felser said:

Yes. Trip Records was a strange and mysterious reissue label, ugly grotesque album covers, horrible vinyl and should quality, but some really interesting music by some of my favorite artists that I otherwise had never seen or heard of before.

Don't know about which period or part of the Trip reissue program you two are talking exactly, but I remember them primarily as a reissue label of Mercury/EmArcy material from the 50s (and still have those I bought at the time). Instantly recognizable by their scaled-down (mostly) B/W versions of the original covers on the front. Some 78 rpm-era reissues on Trip were more nondescript but otherwise while they really were no eyecatcher there were sooo many ugly and REALLY boring and out-of-tune album covers in the 70s and 80s that from a certian point you just shrugged it off. Artwork of German MCA reissues of 50 US Decca and Coral material was extremely nondescript, the French RCA "Jazzline" or "Masters" series were nothing to write home about either, etc. etc. Not to speak of many, many other European reissue series. As if they all had had hoards of second or third-rate album cover "artists" to feed.

Soundwise I'd say they are just what many of them were at the time, not outstanding, not unbearable. And at any rate they made a lot of music available that at that time you'd only have been able to get if you'd be lucky enough to find orignals or be able to shell out for those Japanese reissues that existed at all (exceedingly thin on the ground here, a fact that seems to be forgotten by many US collectors around at that time).

Trip existed before and after their Emarcy program. There was also the Tootie Heath record, a live Randy Weston thing, that trumpet night at the Coronet (or whatever it was), as well as some Vee-Jay reissues and other stuff that was sorta pulled from the ether. Fred Norsworhty was maybe in the picture (but in the shadows), maybe.

Trip was a division of Springboard, and Springboard was a REALLY questionable outfit.

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Trip was a division of Springboard, and Springboard was a REALLY questionable outfit.

OK so I had to check Discogs for what Springboard put out ... and check out this cassette.  I actually just bought this recording as an LP but they didn't keep this delightful cover. Its Farmer with McPherson in the front line and I couldn't recognize a legit recording with those two so I grabbed it, very cheap. Wish they had kept the cover they used on the cassette. :g 

farmer.JPG

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

OK so I had to check Discogs for what Springboard put out ... and check out this cassette.  I actually just bought this recording as an LP but they didn't keep this delightful cover. Its Farmer with McPherson in the front line and I couldn't recognize a legit recording with those two so I grabbed it, very cheap. Wish they had kept the cover they used on the cassette. :g 

farmer.JPG

😎👍 ....