Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Judging by the sound and the fact that this came out in 2022, this is very likely derived (stolen) from the masters done for the Mosaic set - The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions. I was able to get the other two albums on the Mosaic set - Chant and The Creeper - as downloads. Chant in particular was rather nice because Presto had this as a hi res 96 kHz, 24 bit file, which turned out to have incredible detail, esp the cymbals, when listening with the appropriate equipment through LDAC equipped headphones. 71uZzUf2tzL._SL1200_.jpg

To complete my poor man's Mosaic, I get the book here: https://musicbrainz.org/release/cc1484c5-c59f-439c-8fe3-a10763ab1b3a/cover-art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joe Bip said:

image.jpeg.1d1baca934ad36a0389403ef8d606787.jpeg

Columbia Jazz Piano Moods set the mood for roughhousing with my four-year-old, a recent purchase (the Mosaic set, that is), specifically the Tatum concert, which sounds much clearer to me than my 1970s Columbia vinyl release of the same date.

Didn't know about this set until just this moment and now I'm debating pulling the trigger for a copy on Discogs currently for $50.

For that price, I'd say grab it. Someone will!

I noticed a chancer on eBay who's asking that price just for the last disc of the set. 

I've been making my way through the set starting with pianists I'm the most familiar with. The Earl Hines trio was predictably great. This purchase also led me to revisit pianists I hadn't listened to in years, like Ralph Sutton, Jess Stacy, and Joe Bushkin. When I went for this set, I already owned the latter's Piano Moods album on a CD that also included his follow-up After Hours, which adds in some fine playing by Buck Clayton.