Free America

cayetano

Sangrey's right - Tes Esat is certifiably insane, and possibly beyond 'out.'

I mean, we all know Shorter's a weird motherfucker, but have you ever heard Gary Windo's "Dogface" record, or his work with Ray Russell? I mean, the guy's a nut. I bet Dyani was having a blast working with that bunch of crazies.

CT

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked my first four Free America discs, for 12,5 € each: Braxton´s "Donna Lee", the AEC with Fontella Bass, the Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy and the Roswell Rudd.

I haven´t listened to them yet, but the packaging and presentation is first class! :tup

I will start with the Braxton now. In fact, the title track is now blowin´ my ears at work! ^_^

Sorry if this has been discussed previously or is common knowledge, but does the first track (title track) of the Braxton disc ends abruptly and unexpectedly at 9:09 in all your copies? I´m listening it in my computer at work and I thought Windows Media Player had gone wrong!

Sorry if this has been discussed previously or is common knowledge, but does the first track (title track) of the Braxton disc ends abruptly and unexpectedly at 9:09 in all your copies? I´m listening it in my computer at work and I thought Windows Media Player had gone wrong!

I had thought my CD player gone wrong, but it seems to be like this. Strange indeed! I love this CD, though! (But I'm a Braxton newbie, so don't fire away... the disc got some pretty bad write ups in the rat...)

ubu

I had thought my CD player gone wrong, but it seems to be like this. Strange indeed! I love this CD, though! (But I'm a Braxton newbie, so don't fire away... the disc got some pretty bad write ups in the rat...)

ubu

I disagree with The Rat on this one. I also really enjoy this disc. I'll check my copy to see if it ends abruptly.

I had cancelled my cduniverse order after the "backorder" became too long for my liking. Did J&R Music World, for a couple of buck less, and while there was a backorder, I finally got word that the 8 cds I orderes are shipping! So they replenished -- I was worried that this was really limited.

Tes Esat is certifiably insane, and possibly beyond 'out.'

I mean, we all know Shorter's a weird motherfucker ...

... and a good-looking chap back in the day.

esp48.jpg

Was it schizophrenia that he suffered from? I'm not really familiar with Alan Shorter's story. What happened?

Anybody else have problems with the final cut on "Black Gypsy"? :(  Mine is defective.  Guess I'll send it back. .. .

Not sure exactly how you mean defective. Mine sounds ok, doesn't skip or anything. If you mean defective like tape hiss or something dropping out of the mix, I'm not a good person to judge that. Hopefully you can get a replacement soon.

No, mine is definitely defective. It stops and then starts and then stops and then starts. A manufacturing defect.

I'll send it back after I've determined it does this on all my machines. (So far I've only tried it in my Sony universal player that is modified to have a tubed output; this machine generally plays everything so it probably behaves the same way in my other players, but I haven't verified that.)

I totally dig this disc otherwise!

Thanks for weighing in!

Guest Chaney

Anybody else have problems with the final cut on "Black Gypsy"? :(  Mine is defective.  Guess I'll send it back. .. .

Mine's OK, Lon.

Terfific sound on this disk. BIG soundstage.

Thanks for reporting that.

In the last few minutes of the disc mine stops and then starts and then stops and then starts then won't play through to the end. A manufacturing defect I suppose.

I have to play it on all my burners and players and see if it works on any. I so far have only played it on my Decware modified (tubed output stage added taken off the DAC chip) Sony 685 player; this machine however usually plays everything.

Guest Chaney

What is the opinion of the Burrell disc? I see Roscoe Mitchell and Moye are on it, so it's gotta be at least worth hearing

Worth hearing and worth buying.

Just had a first listen. It's pretty wild and pretty wonderful. Mr. Roscoe Mitchell is HUGE.

Listening to the Bley -- first time -- right now. Bley, Annette Peacock and Han Bennink. How bad can it be?

:ph34r:

Still on track one. Amazing (but maybe not) how poorly the sounds created by electronic instruments age. I'm guessing this sounded fresh for maybe 15 minutes after it was recorded. And hearing it today? Not advisable and not necessary.

13 minutes into track 2 and Bennink locks into a much needed groove, of sorts. Doesn't last long, though. OY!

I feel confident in saying that the Bley is the best -- by FAR -- of all the Free America offerings. As vital and innovative as if were recorded yesterday. Sounds RIPPED as if from musical headlines!

As a matter of fact, I'm really not worthy to own this gem. If anyone would like to relieve me of my guilt: $14 postage paid within the US, and this classic CAN and WILL be yours.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Thanks.

305 pages????? Holy smokes!

If you change your board settings to view 40 posts per page, it's much shorter at 115 pages.

B-)

Lon: I've received dozens of offers but as you had previously expressed interest in the Bley, as a courtesy, I'm holding it for you.

MAN what a dog this one is!