Free America

cayetano

I thought I missed this series and these would be hard to find but I just pulled th trigger on 11 out of the 15 titles at........drum roll please................ Walmart.com all in stock priced $14.88-$16.88 and better yet, shipped site to store at my neighborhood walmart 2 miles away. Thus there are no shipping charges, just local sales tax.Whats not to like about this, excellent series fills a hole in my avant collection at reasonable prices. Can you imagine going into your local walmart and finding these titles in stock? I think I would faint.

They will shoot me an e-mail in 5-7 days for pickup and in the mean time ,I'll give my ears a rest in anticipation of the wakeup call this music should bring. :excited:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coral Rock is awesome...Mr Sangrey turned me onto that one (along with about 10,000 other things).

Okay, I'll keep pondering the Shorter...in the interim, what are the other "must-own" titles in this series? I have the Waldron/Lacy as well.

Thanks gang.

The Burrell was a real nice surprise-if nothing for Silva's electric violin! Roscoe Mitchell's there too. Wish I had more in the series, but they were too expensive for me at the time. Guess I'll check out Walmart.com :lol:

Coral Rock is awesome...Mr Sangrey turned me onto that one (along with about 10,000 other things).

Okay, I'll keep pondering the Shorter...in the interim, what are the other "must-own" titles in this series? I have the Waldron/Lacy as well.

Thanks gang.

The Burrell was a real nice surprise-if nothing for Silva's electric violin! Roscoe Mitchell's there too. Wish I had more in the series, but they were too expensive for me at the time. Guess I'll check out Walmart.com :lol:

Don't skip the Roswell Rudd (with John Tchicai). One of the best of the series!

Thanks to dova for locating a cheap source for this series! I really hate the idea of buying stuff from them, but I've been looking for more of this series for quite a while now.

Received Rudd, Wright, Burrell, and Thornton earlier this week. Already had Waldron/Lacy.

I'm thinking I probably should have pulled the trigger on some more. I still can't believe most (if not all) of these were in stock at $14.88.

I recently purchased 11 of the 15 and held off getting these 4:

Art Ensemble: Certain Blacks

Art Ensemble:w/ Fontellabass

Paul Bley: Inprovisie

Anthony Braxton: Solo Improvisations

Free America is a wonderful series packaged similar to Verve Elites with good sound.

Does anybody have opinions on the above 4 :tup:tdown , I appreciate your thoughts.

Dova

The Bley is good, but must be taken as "of its time" and sort of an interesting excursion within the whole of his career. The title track, a free improvisation with Moog, piano, and Bennink's drums, is really nice, spare and moody stuff.

Both of the AEC dates you mention are very good, in my opinion, and shouldn't be dismissed.

Haven't spun the Braxton LP in some time, but remember enjoying it handily.

The Braxton solo is my favourite of his alto solo albums.

Certain Blacks has never been a favourite of mine and I've never heard the Fontella Bass one.

Improvisie is time warped in an enjoyable sense, but not enjoyable enough for me to buy it.

With 11 down, 4 to go, might as well pull the trigger on all of them.

The Fontella Bass with the Art Ensemble is good, a little different from their usual sound (more funky? I'm not sure how to describe it), not as good as Phase One. The Certain Blacks title is probably not as good as either of the other two Art Ensemble titles in this series

I'm fond of it, but that's just me...

I assume, then, that it was originally supposed to be a Chicago Beau/Julio Finn date? And where did Bill Howell come from?

Correct. Don't know about Howell.

Roscoe told me that after this was issued the group would only allow 3 members on a date without getting "leader" pay.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Just bought the Shorter and am totally in awe of Windo (although it's Dyani and Augustus' contributions that really seem to be central to this music). Shorter almost seems like a colourist on his own album. I've never heard Orgasm, so I can't compare.

My copy is #1871, btw

There's lots of great Windo out there, and Tes Esat is certainly one fine, fine example. I don't know if one can say it's "canonically" an important date or anything, but it sure is a fun listen. There's a lot of speculation about the date of recording - the disc says what, '70, and the LP has no date on it. I believe Gary's widow had placed it in '73, around the same time as his work with Ray Russell.

• 4 months later...