Free America

cayetano

I heard the Shorter and Burrell once. I didn't like the Shorter at all (too cacophonous(?) for me), but I ordered the Burrell, as well as the Thornton.

There are reviews on AMG:

Burrell: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:eqf2zfs4eh3k

Shorter: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:yf1uak1k0m3x

Bley: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:6wsqoaqaeijz

Edited by Claude

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

loooks like i will be exchanging my unopened shorter for perhaps the burrell. and i am not sure about my unopened rudd and bley.

thank you claude. cacaphonous sounds like what i don't want to hear.

and i think thom jurek wrote those reviews so they don't mean sh_t to me.

Edited by akanalog

Guest akanalog

oh man that's right. well jurek wrote a lot of them. sorry-i was reading a whole bunch. i think the bley actually used to have a negative review by eugene cahdbourne. but now it is a positive jurek review.

Guest akanalog

damn! thought people might be interested this evening i went to return my shorter and bley discs to j and r and...they are out of basically everything now. i was there on sunday and they had a full selection and now-just a few lacys (strangely enough), a shepp and some solo braxtons. otherwise looks like they were cleaned out. i had psyched myself to buy a few more even though i have a feeling i will be selling my wright and emergency discs soon once i give up on trying to "hear" them. i was going to buy an aec one and a braxton and the burrell.

though not only does the emergency remind me of some late 60s shorter sessions but also the first version of lifetime sans organ. i like both shorter and lifetime a lot more though. still this emergency is darn good live free jazz.

I can always move this to the Offering thread, but I wondered if anyone wanted to swap some of the Free America series.

I am keeping several (Black Gipsy and Panther/Lash), but these three don't do so much for me:

Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy

Art Ensemble Certain Blacks

Alan Shorter Tes Esat

Still in good condition, though obviously opened.

I'm most interested in the following:

Dave Burrell After Love

Roswell Rudd

Frank Wright Uhuru ...

Eric

Yes, the Frank Wright 'Uhuru' blew me away. I've gotta rave about the other four I got (on a 5-star DownBeat scale):

Anthony Braxton - Donna Lee (4.5 stars)

Emergency - Homage To Peace (4 stars, but climbing higher with each play)

Clifford Thornton - Panther & the Lash (5 stars)

Roswell Rudd - same (4 stars, sound not quite as clean as other titles)

Every one's a keeper, featuring strong ensemble work with consistent blazing, brilliant solos by the horns. (I'm leery of excess noodling or prolonged, random squeaks and mere sound effects for the sake of 'art'.)

Not to be a shrill shill, but with just 1,000 of each title being allocated for distribution Stateside...for the first-time ever issued on CD and at a reasonable price...clear and crisp sound...excellent packaging and booklets...

WHY WAIT FOR THEM TO VANISH?

It's not as if these leaders have a slew of other albums that were recorded as well (Braxton being the exception). The Free America titles might well rank as THE VERY BEST among the handful these artists properly recorded and 'officially' released.

Guest akanalog

My discussion was limited to the 5 Freedom discs at hand.

I wouldn't DREAM of exposing my flanks to such an easy ass-kick.

I was expecting some sharp-shooter to nail me on Roswell Rudd (who was afforded decent recording situations by Impulse and Arista-Freedom).

i thought rudd was considered "notoriously underrecorded"?

I finally got four (Shorter, Shepp, Wright, Rudd) and I like the packaging. Listened to the Shepp and I ttally dig it, the drummning, the soprano, the trumpeting and more. . . it's a great one! Sound (both original recording and remastering) seems excelent.

The other two I'm interested in are the Burrell and the Bley. . . guesss I better think about ordering them.

Forget about the Bley 'Improvisie'. With so many excellent Paul Bley records available, this is one to skip. One of his lesser albums!

The Dave Burrell on the other hand is one to get. One of the better releases from the series.

Guest akanalog

don't know if anyone checked, i am selling the emergency, frank wright and roswell rudd albums in my FS thread.

i am keeping the thornton, which i think is a great album.