What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/27/2022 at 0:58 PM, mr jazz said:

Heard her on Sirius. Quite a voice. Let us know how the performance was.

She was excellent. Did Monk tunes, standards,Betty Carter & Carmen McRae numbers, Fats Navarro's Nostalgia that she wrote the lyrics for. Backing trio was fine. I'm a fan of her drummer, Evan Sherman. Tootie Heath lives here in New Mexico & sat in for a blues. Brought the sold out house down.

Peter Erskine Quartet tomorrow night (Garzone, Pasqua, Oles). 

This week, here in Vienna at the famous old jazz club "Jazzland" it is the aniversary of "40 Years Mario Gonzi", that means his 40 years of being on stage. Mario Gonzi  Mario Gonzi – Wikipedia  is maybe the leading drummer here in Austria and I love to play with him and will do so in future for a series of gigs with the great Allan Praskin (as). 

I was there on Tuesday to see the show and to congratulate, this time it was titled "The Pauer in My Life", focussed on the work of the late great pianist Fritz Pauer (who eventually was my own mentor too).  Fritz Pauer - Wikipedia

I loved it, such a wonderful music and wonderful players (Herwig Gradischnig on ts, Oliver Kent on piano, Johannes Strasser on bass). During intermissions a lot of conversation, stories, anecdotes. 

Such a wealth of music, Fritz Pauer´s compositions played live, and such a beautiful evening. 

Edited by Gheorghe

On 9/23/2022 at 0:36 PM, Peter Friedman said:

It was this past Sunday night. The Michael Weiss Trio did one night at the Century Club here in Tucson.

Michael was joined by a local rhythm section of Scott Black on bass, and Arthur Vint on drums.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Weiss in person. He played with great taste and swung like mad.

The only other times I have seen Michael Weiss live was 1987 in Rochester,NY  with  Johnny Griffin, and in 1996 in Vail, Colorado also with Griffin.

I spoke a bit with Michael on Sunday night, and he was the one who was able to recall the specific years when I had previously heard him play live. 

Great to see you Peter. The Rochester club I played with Griff was called Calabash.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, relyles said:

Wasn't Craig Handy replaced by Donald Harrison in the band a couple years ago?

Yes, Harrison replaced Handy several years ago. Handy subs occasionally, though.

Went to Ronnie Scott's last Wednesday. Fun show with Ronnie Scott’s Club Quintet [(James Pearson (p), Alex Garnett (as/ts), Freddie Gravita (tpt), Sam Burgess (b), Chris Higginbottom (d)].

Their theme for the night was ‘1959 …The Year That Shaped Jazz’. So they played tunes like So What and Blue Rondo A La Turk, as well as a few originals in the same style.
Not familiar with any of the musicians, but the sax and piano player were standouts.

It was a busy weekend of music for me.

Friday - Eric Person Quartet at the Side Door Jazz Club in Old Lyme, CT with John Esposito (piano), Adam Armstrong (bass) and Darrell Green (drums).

Saturday - Ron Carter Quartet at the Northampton Jazz Festival with Jimmy Greene (tenor saxophone), Renee Rosnes (piano) and Payton Crossley (drums).

Sunday - Improvisations Now at Real Art Ways in Hartford, CT with Joe Morris (bass), Sylvie Courvoisier (piano), Lester St. Louis (cello) and Jerome Deupree (drums)

Edited by relyles

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, T.D. said:

Matthew Shipp Quartet (w. Jason Hwang, violin/viola; Michael Bisio, bass; Jay Rosen, drums/perc)

Where was this or is this show? I saw this group at Vision Fest in June and they were spectacular. Plus Shipp has never been my favorite pianist. On this night he showed a side of his composing & piano mastery I had not experienced previously.

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Where was this or is this show? I saw this group at Vision Fest in June and they were spectacular. Plus Shipp has never been my favorite pianist. On this night he showed a side of his composing & piano mastery I had not experienced previously.

Michael Bisio resides in a NYC-style AIR loft building in Kingston, NY called The Lace Mill.

They have been having (approximately) monthly concerts on Sunday afternoons. Only upcoming one scheduled is Tani Tabbal Trio sometime TBA in Nov, I suspect winter sched. will be lighter.

It'll be announced on The Lace Mill Facebook page.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, OliverM said:

Tonight in Paris:

Mai Sugimoto (as), Raymond Boni (g), Paul Rogers (b), Anton Hatwich (b)

Part of the Bridge project. Percussionnist Camille Emaille as first part.

Interesting line up, good to see Rogers and Boni involved. Hopefully there will be a recording 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 9:19 PM, BFrank said:

Sunday at SFJAZZ

Myra Melford's Fire and Water Quintet with Ingrid Laubrock sax, Mary Halvorson guitar, Tomeka Reid cello, Lesley Mok drums

Great show tonight. An impressive lineup. Picked up her recent RogueArt album after the show and will listen to it tomorrow. They're recording another one this week for release sometime next year.