NE Blizzard of 2005 (Part I?)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man I LOVE these wicked snowstorms-particularly on a saturday when we get to stay inside and listen to music! This is about the only good thing that can be said about living in an apartment, as I watch the guys clearing the sidewalk and parking lot from my window!

I had to wear a long sleeve cotton pullover today, since the temperature dropped down to the low '70s. Still dressed in shorts and sandals, though. B-)

(I don't miss the northeast - where I'm from - especially at this time of the year)

Dropped "down"? C'mon Marty, this week's been mostly in the 60s, with some pretty chilly nights. And tonite, after the rain clears out, its supposed to fall into the 30s, with Sunday's high only near 60.

(I grew up in the northeast and while I welcome the south Florida cold snaps, I know my time in Florida has thinned my blood. The last time I was up in Connecticut in the winter, it was damn cold and felt a lot colder than I remembered.)

I like this weather, too. The deep snow is beautiful. I filled up the birdfeeder out back, went around to the front of the house with the seed bag, and came back to see a bright red cardinal already perched there.

I just hope this sticks around for a few weeks, instead of melting in a few days like the last snow we had.

Edited by Joe G

I actually braved the streets and went to the store this evening. My driveway is on an alley, which of course has not been plowed (nor has my street, a side-street). Needless to say, getting the van out of the alley was scary in itself. Getting it down the side streets to the first plowed street was even more scary. But I made it out.

Then, after getting my groceries, I had to get back into my driveway! :)

It is beautiful out, though.

I live near Lake Michigan and we got about a foot of snow, not quite as much if you lived further west. The most annoying thing was the snow kept falling all day, and there weren't nearly enough plows out. At least I get to take CTA and not have to worry about driving. But I had to travel north to shovel the sidewalks near my building, and I'll have to do it again tomorrow.

I was pretty surprised at how badly the merchants on Clark St. had shoveled the snow off in front of their stores, and far more places were closed than I expected. Seriously, this is Chicago, this happens nearly every winter.

Many years back I lived in the Portugeuse part of Newark. We got hit with a blizzard/ice storm you wouldn't believe. The whole state pretty much shut down (was this 93 ?) but the Portugeuse merchants had everything cleared off and open for business the next day. That's the way to do it.

Gots about 30" up here in Cape Ann, MA. Swirling ocean effect stuffand still blowing now!

Shoveling was not as bad as "throwing" the load over top of the now 4 foot walls that line my driveway! It does look Martha Stewart pretty tho. My neighbor's Trans Am is completely covered.

Just think if that Jets kicker had a bit more poop last week!

This may sound crazy, but I'm envying you guys in the snow.

It's January and we are experiencing record and near record highs in AZ.

This morning by 9:00 AM it was already 70 degrees!

For me, having a 4-5 week break from summer is just not long enough.

Hopefully I will be gone before summer hits full force.

This may sound crazy, but I'm envying you guys in the snow.

It's January and we are experiencing record and near record highs in AZ.

This morning by 9:00 AM it was already 70 degrees!

For me, having a 4-5 week break from summer is just not long enough.

Hopefully I will be gone before summer hits full force.

You're welcome to spin on by and dig my car out.

I brushed off snow from my car about 7 last night and while the doesn't seem to be lot of snow on the car (I can't really see it from up here on the 8th floor) I'm not going to bother to do anything today. Monday morning, when other folks have gone to work, I'll have room to drive my car out of it. :P

I'm not sure how exactly how much we got in Cambridge but my guess is at least 24 inches. It's up past my knees in the unplowed places. Snow football was fun until the wind really started picking up and blowing ice in our faces at 30+ MPH. Still a bit too powdery for good sledding.

Crossing my fingers and hoping I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

I just finished clearing the driveway. It looks like we got around 20 inches. I even had to clear a path out the back door for the pooch. Here's a (rather dark) picture out the back door.

Is that Atkinson?

Yes it is... right over the border from Haverhill, MA, who reported 34 inches on one channel tonight. I think the snow drifts are messing up some snow totals. Luckily it was fluffy. The snow blower ripped right through it. Shoveling the dog path was a PIA. :D

Later,

Kevin