The Soprano Saxophone

Late

In my mind, the great triumvirate of the soprano saxophone is Bechet-Lacy-Parker. (Evan, that is.) Convincing arguments could be made for the significance of Coltrane-Braxton-Liebman's contributions to the horn, but they tend to strike me less as innovators and more as superlative practitioners.

I'm leaving out a lot of other important players on this horn, though. Who do you like on the soprano?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youy know it's weird - but I hate that damned instrument - I love the older players, and Lacy, Bechet, etc - but I cannot listen to the instrument post-1970 no matter who's playing it or how well it's played. I'm not defending myself, as a matter of fact I throw myself on the mercy of the organissimo body, but it's come to be like the jazz flute for me - I hear it and go on to the next cut - anybody else like me here?

Edited by AllenLowe

What a pity Johnny Hodges played it so rarely! The RCA Centennial notes state he refused to play it when Duke refused to pay him more as a "doubler".

Hodges stopped playing the soprano in 1940, I think (which indeed is regrettable). But Charlie Barnet continued to play a Hodges-inspired soprano sax on mood pieces long after that (Barnet was a big Ellington fan of course).

According to the liner notes to New Orleans Suite Ellington was planning to persuade Hodges to pick up the soprano again for Portrait Of Sidney Bechet, which was to be recorded on 13th May 1970. But Hodges died unexpectedly two days before the session. :(

I cannot listen to the instrument post-1970 no matter who's playing it or how well it's played.

Interesting — my favorite period of Lacy is roughly 1976-1979.

David, I've heard Doneda, but have never even heard Rainey's name. Thanks! The AMG bio makes his music sound pretty interesting. Will have to check it out. Any particular recs?

youy know it's weird - but I hate that damned instrument - I love the older players, and Lacy, Bechet, etc - but I cannot listen to the instrument post-1970 no matter who's playing it or how well it's played. I'm not defending myself, as a matter of fact I throw myself on the mercy of the organissimo body, but it's come to be like the jazz flute for me - I hear it and go on to the next cut - anybody else like me here?

You are not alone. Although I like jazz flute, so maybe you are...

I give a hearty thumbs up to Lucky Thompson, very unique and wonderful sound. In a more "out" context, I do like Sam Rivers' work on the instrument, e.g., the Blue Note session, CONTOURS. Reed players have always stated that it's a bitch of an instrument to play well, and to the point, the few tracks I've heard of Rollins playing it (back in the early '70s) don't come off all that well IMO, as much as I otherwise love Sonny.

Edited by MartyJazz

"I hate that damned instrument - I love the older players, and Lacy, Bechet, etc - but I cannot listen to the instrument post-1970 no matter who's playing it or how well it's played"

I've got a theory about that.

Pre-1970 there were very few soprano mouthpiece makers. The best was the Buescher with the large chamber, virtually no baffle and scopped out side walls & short shank. Big, warm, mellow tone.

Post - 1970 post-Wayne Shorter/Liebman/Grossman etc. - they are using small chamber, higher baffle screamers designed to project, but do so at the expense of tone.

Unfortunately, IMO today the fashion in soprano playing is to make it a piercing, cutting wailer, which is certainly cool if you like it, and has it's virtues, but I sure miss the 'original' sound.