mccoy tyner

would someone please fill me in on this unissued session. any reason why this could not be issued. thanks.

It seems like some of the participating musiscians do not think it's worthy of release. But what would they know? ;)

Have a look here, too; disregard the mention of Zavinul:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=7992

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tranemonk, since the following:

the real mccoy

tender moments

time for tyner

have been or are scheduled to be rvg's, and are all still available, it probably made no sense for mosaic to include those in a box. so they put everything not an rvg into a select for 39.95, and everything by tyner will then be in print, including the unissued cosmos recordings. hell, i know one o' them thar' seelects has my name on it! i'll be preordering one.

tranemonk, since the following:

the real mccoy

tender moments

time for tyner

have been or are scheduled to be rvg's, and are all still available, it probably made no sense for mosaic to include those in a box. so they put everything not an rvg into a select for 39.95, and everything by tyner will then be in print, including the unissued cosmos recordings. hell, i know one o' them thar' seelects has my name on it! i'll be preordering one.

I understand your point.... and it's a good one...

but this hasn't stopped Cuscuna before.... If you look at the Hank Mobley box, several of those sessions were out on CD (and still in print) before the box set came out. For example - both "Hank Mobley and his All Stars" and "Peckin' Time" were already out on CD. I think "Poppin" was also...

They did this again with the Lou Donaldson set..."Sunny Side Up" and "Gravy Train" and "Blues Walk" had all been out...

So I don't think that's unusual... Also we don't know what "extra" stuff they have in the vaults (e.g., alternate takes, any unreleased recordings, etc.)

So that's why I was hoping for a full box....

I too will buy the Select though...

BTW since we know now it will be out on 1/2006, do we know when it will be avialable for pre-order on the Web??? (November???)

Just heard the set will be Expansions, Extensions, Cosmos and Asante. No unissued session and a tentative release date of january 2006. McMastered will it be!!!!!!!!!!

I have Expansions, Extensions, and Asante on disc, but haven't ever heard Cosmos (well, other than the three or so tunes that were bonus tracks on Asante).

Can anybody with the LP's provide the timings for all the Cosmos tracks?? I'd like to add up all the time for everything, and see what's left over -- in terms of the potential for additional unreleased material.

I've got the most recent "Complete BN Discography" if anybody needs me to type up any session info -- including the Cosmos session(s?). (But there isn't any timing info in the discography.)

Thanks!!

tranemonk, besides, if ron mcmaster was to do a complete mosaic box, rather than just a select, think of the utter chaos that would cause on this board. the complete and utter devastation that it would bring. oh, the humanity!!!

hmmmm...i'd better edit this post. just to say that i have no problem whatever with ron mcmasters work. this is only meant to be some slight humor.

Edited by mike casinghino

Just heard the set will be Expansions, Extensions, Cosmos and Asante. No unissued session and a tentative release date of january 2006. McMastered will it be!!!!!!!!!!

I have Expansions, Extensions, and Asante on disc, but haven't ever heard Cosmos (well, other than the three or so tunes that were bonus tracks on Asante).

Can anybody with the LP's provide the timings for all the Cosmos tracks?? I'd like to add up all the time for everything, and see what's left over -- in terms of the potential for additional unreleased material.

I've got the most recent "Complete BN Discography" if anybody needs me to type up any session info -- including the Cosmos session(s?). (But there isn't any timing info in the discography.)

Thanks!!

not in running order, but:

Asian Lullaby - 7:24

Hope - 14:14

Forbidden Land - 13:50

Planet X (an early cousin of Rated X ;) - 7:40

Shaken, But not Forsaken (from the soundtrack to a scrapped Bond movie) - 11:30

Vibration Blues (was left off the Deep Throat soundtrack) - 8:40

Song for My Lady - 7:30

Cosmos - 9:00

hmmmm...i'd better edit this post. just to say that i have no problem whatever with ron mcmasters work. this is only meant to be some slight humor.

Is it true that "mike casinghino" of Connecticut is actually the Organissimo Board alter ego of another Michael C. from Connecticut? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

hmmm..

McCoy & Bond.... what a match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):)

what was the scapped Bond movie???? Please tell me that it wasn't a Bond movie with Sean Connery (not that fraud Bond - Roger Moore)????

Hey on a related question...

Art Blakey had a slammin' record called "Soulfinger" (spinoff of Bond movie "Goldfinger") which I've never been able to find on CD....

Here's the info from AMG...

"After six years of very consistent personnel (with only a few gradual changes), Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in 1965 were in a state of transition. This particular LP found both Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard making farewell appearances on trumpet, pianist John Hicks and bassist Victor Sproles joining up as short-term members and veteran Lucky Thompson being well featured on both tenor and soprano sax. The music is more relaxed than usual but still contains some of that distinctive Jazz Messengers fire. This rare set is worth searching for."

Anybody have it? Know where to get it???

hmmm..

McCoy & Bond.... what a match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):)

what was the scapped Bond movie???? Please tell me that it wasn't a Bond movie with Sean Connery (not that fraud Bond - Roger Moore)????

Hey on a related question...

Art Blakey had a slammin' record called "Soulfinger" (spinoff of Bond movie "Goldfinger") which I've never been able to find on CD....

Here's the info from AMG...

"After six years of very consistent personnel (with only a few gradual changes), Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in 1965 were in a state of transition. This particular LP found both Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard making farewell appearances on trumpet, pianist John Hicks and bassist Victor Sproles joining up as short-term members and veteran Lucky Thompson being well featured on both tenor and soprano sax. The music is more relaxed than usual but still contains some of that distinctive Jazz Messengers fire. This rare set is worth searching for."

Anybody have it? Know where to get it???

I have Soul Finger as a Japanese mini-LP which was part of a Mercury & related labels reissue series. Came out probably 2003. Liner notes are dated Oct. 4, 2002.

Catalogue# is UCCM-9128.

Hope you can find it.

• 2 years later...

This set has to be the best purchase I've made in a long time. Having only heard "Extentions" before, this set is a revelation. McCoy was absolutely playing at a peak. I like the material here more than most of the Milestone material I own.

Freddie Waits has really caught my ear. An amazing drummer. One thing I'm noticing I think is a bit of an Elvin Jones influence here. He definitely has his own way with the kit, but he excellent at that "rumbling" effect that Elvin always did so well. I haven't heard a whole lot of Freddie Waits...did he always play like this, or was this because he was in McCoy Tyner's company?

Freddie Waits was a great drummer and person.

He died much too soon.

Here's a photo that I took of him when he was with Hannibal Marvin Peterson's Sunrise Orchestra, on July 6, 1976.

357468638_a31c57d94d_o.jpg

That October, I produced a concert with McCoy Tyner and his Focal Point band. The drummer them was Eric Gravatt.

Her's a photo from that concert on October 8th, 1976.

415246308_69e9d99e96_o.jpg

Edited by marcello

• 4 weeks later...

This Mosaic Select is kicking my butt lately. Good stuff. The edition of Expansions herein sounds better than the original 80's reissue on compact disc, which sounded awful to me.

But it's the entire Cosmos session that has my attention right now. Andrew White might be the best soloist on oboe that I've ever heard. I generally can't stand "jazz" oboists (Bob Cooper, Yusef Lateef, Ken McIntyre, etc.), but White plays the shit out of it.

A little surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this Select ...

:bwallace2: :bwallace: :bwallace2: :bwallace:

This Mosaic Select is kicking my butt lately. Good stuff. The edition of Expansions herein sounds better than the original 80's reissue on compact disc, which sounded awful to me.

But it's the entire Cosmos session that has my attention right now. Andrew White might be the best soloist on oboe that I've ever heard. I generally can't stand "jazz" oboists (Bob Cooper, Yusef Lateef, Ken McIntyre, etc.), but White plays the shit out of it.

A little surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this Select ...

:bwallace2: :bwallace: :bwallace2: :bwallace:

Well, here's some buzz: I had this Select and sold it as fast as I could, I really didn't like much of the music. Sorry to spoil the fun...

I had this Select and sold it as fast as I could. I really didn't like much of the music. Sorry to spoil the fun ...

No worries. I take it you didn't have some of the individual CDs prior to your purchase? I guess I kind of knew what to expect, so maybe that helps in my enjoyment.

:cool:

Edited by Late

I had this Select and sold it as fast as I could. I really didn't like much of the music. Sorry to spoil the fun ...

No worries. I take it you didn't have some of the individual CDs prior to your purchase? I guess I kind of knew what to expect, so maybe that helps in my enjoyment.

:cool:

Actually, I did have two of the Blue Notes in the set, Expansions and Extensions. Kept the former, sold the latter, not in the least because of Alice Coltrane's harp.