What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

What has become a D-Day tradition for me is to watch this CBS Special 20 Anniversary interview between Walter Cronkite and President Eisenhower. I get a glimpse into those leadership qualities Eisenhower had, and you can see his intelligence in how he answered the questions. It's also nice to see a quality interview and mutual respect between the two as they discuss D-Day. I always thought of Eisenhower as some kind of stumblebum, not that up on things, and this complete changed my outlook on him.

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

What has become a D-Day tradition for me is to watch this CBS Special 20 Anniversary interview between Walter Cronkite and President Eisenhower. I get a glimpse into those leadership qualities Eisenhower had, and you can see his intelligence in how he answered the questions. It's also nice to see a quality interview and mutual respect between the two as they discuss D-Day. I always thought of Eisenhower as some kind of stumblebum, not that up on things, and this complete changed my outlook on him.

He struck me as more a manager than a brilliant tactician.  Moreover, he wasn’t a great President and on top of that his failure to do anything to stop McCarthy, especially when McCarthy took on George C. Marshall was shameless.  

Edited by Brad

9 hours ago, Brad said:

He struck me as more a manager than a brilliant tactician.  Moreover, he wasn’t a great President and on top of that his failure to do anything to stop McCarthy, especially when McCarthy took on George C. Marshall was shameless.  

To my mind, he's more than a manager. Can you imagine the pressure of Churchill and FDR watching your every move? Critiquing  them, and knowing you're sending men to death, no matter what your decision? Also dealing with the massive ego of political / military leader of different countries? You have to get it right, and for D-Day, Eisenhower did. 

How he did as president is another matter... 

Edited by Matthew

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

To my mind, he's more than a manager. Can you imagine the pressure of Churchill and FDR watching your every move? Critiquing  them, and knowing you're sending men to death, no matter what your decision? Also dealing with the massive ego of political / military leader of different countries? You have to get it right, and for D-Day, Eisenhower did. 

How he did as president is another matter... 

Well, that’s why he was an effective manager although you’re right he was a bit more than that.  However, he did have to manage and satisfy his bosses as well as the commanders under him, which were not just Americans but British. Andrew Roberts wrote a good book about this, called Masters and Commanders. 

• 2 weeks later...