Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters... RELEASED!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my copy of 'Boogaloo Sisters' last Thursday, and I'm liking it very much! It's got the relaxed/swinging thing that is not always so easy to achieve, and the groove is strong. In fact, the groove is so strong and it is soooo greazy that I needed de-greaser after a few spins of this disc. :D Nice job, guys!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now on 'Blake's Shake'; it's got a very retro sounding vibe but with some very modern elemnets thrown in -- can't believe the dance floor crowd haven't tried nicking some samples from this one.

Being a fan of the instrumentation, I obviously think it's great stuff, moreover it's great to be able to place something tangible, living and breathing, alongside the thousands of posts on this board. Forgive me if this sounds somewhat new-age or slushy, but it makes you feel more connected.

BTW, I did notice your gig schedule and judging by the number of 'Brewing Houses' you guys play at I was expecting to see 3 rotund, shiny nosed beer monsters.....

And I only saw one. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to Life Wish as I type these words. I don't know what it is about this song but... very nice. It sounds relaxing, yet not.

I picture an ocean scene, somewhere near Margaritaville.

I picture the audience drifting at a Phish concert.

I picture a room created of earth tones and natural wood textures.

I sense an oddly familiar intro or exit to/from a Steely Dan tune, with a little influence from Nick Drake.

I picture taking an evening walk around my town, during the July rainy season. The scent of the wet desert hanging heavy in the air.

Life Wish is comfortable and cozy. The song has the same effect on my psyche as listening to the entirety of 'Kind of Blue.' Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered. Relaxed, content... believing that the world is a good place and my life is going well. :)

I picture a room created of earth tones and natural wood textures.

Good call. I wrote the chord progression to this tune while visiting my parents at their cabin in northern Michigan.

I sense an oddly familiar intro or exit to/from a Steely Dan tune, with a little influence from Nick Drake.

I've never heard Nick Drake actually, nor a Steely Dan tune that sounded like this.

Life Wish is comfortable and cozy. The song has the same effect on my psyche as listening to the entirety of 'Kind of Blue.' Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered. Relaxed, content... believing that the world is a good place and my life is going well.

Nice. Thanks for sharing your impressions. :)

I've never heard Nick Drake actually, nor a Steely Dan tune that sounded like this.

I have 'heard' Nick Drake and plenty of Steely Dan. I can't think of a Steely tune that sounds like Life Wish either. But, the images of Steely Dan still came to mind upon hearing Life Wish.

Maybe it's because both, Life Wish and Steely Dan's music, are of a higher-than-average quality?

Edited by wesbed

Great Joe, just shoot the man down.

;)

Goddam internet-speak! I hope you didn't think that, Wes!

Goddam internet-speak! I hope you didn't think that, Wes!

No problem. No worries or concerns from me. I didn't take anything negative from what you wrote. Not in the slightest.

I'm glad that somebody actually reads my posts and takes the time to respond now and again. Any response, no response, or just knowing I can come to the Organissimo board and post my opinions, observations, and rants is good enough for me. Some people are active with the blogging thing. Not me, my blog is all over the Organissimo board. I don't need a personal blog.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellas:

I too have snagged your dubut cd and enjoy it quite a bit! Very clear ideas & grooves - Jim has a FANTASTIC sound and touch on organ - look forward to hearing more of his great B-3 work! Joe's guitar is also clean, crisp, and direct! Also dig Randy on skins - very tasty drumming - again - no filler here! The tunes are groovy and work well as a cd "album" together - nice writing!

I took the liberty of playing "Decoder" on our local community radio staion last evening. From time to time, I am able to host a jazz/world music/blues mix program Tues. evenings from 8-10 CST and enjoy broadcasting a variety of artists....I followed up "Decoder" with "Outhipped" by Barbara Dennerlein and John Patton's "Bermuda Cay House" with Geo. Braith, et al. Made for a hip sequence to say the least. Also gave out your web address...

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :g

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...