This Is The Place

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little snip-it from Dick Crockett on 88.7 in Sacramento:

ORGANISSIMO  begins the second hour with a steppy version of “Tenderly” from their new THIS IS THE PLACE CD.  These guys are an outcrop of  mid western funkin values, East Lansing  scene.  Upstart,  groovy, danceable and full of funkiness, these are the Medeski  Martin and Wood and Bad Plus beginnings!  There’s something loosey - goosey and nice about this band on “Stomp Yo Feets!” They’re  hip to something.... Same kind of magic the “Quartette Tres Bien” tapped into  mid western, some forty years ago.  Especially on their version of “Tenderly, ” so Johnny Lytle, so Quiet Village not so long ago, with light  touches of Ray Barretto, gracing the bowling alley dance halls of the world,  in South Bend, Kalamazoo and Elkhart, Fort Wayne, Kokomo and  Waynesville.  Yes friends, that’s where America thrives, out of the breast of the mid west. 

:D

Nice little snip-it from Dick Crockett on 88.7 in Sacramento:

ORGANISSIMO  begins the second hour with a steppy version of “Tenderly” from their new THIS IS THE PLACE CD.  These guys are an outcrop of  mid western funkin values, East Lansing  scene.   Upstart,  groovy, danceable and full of funkiness, these are the Medeski  Martin and Wood and Bad Plus beginnings!  There’s something loosey - goosey and nice about this band on “Stomp Yo Feets!” They’re  hip to something.... Same kind of magic the “Quartette Tres Bien” tapped into  mid western, some forty years ago.  Especially on their version of “Tenderly, ” so Johnny Lytle, so Quiet Village not so long ago, with light  touches of Ray Barretto, gracing the bowling alley dance halls of the world,  in South Bend, Kalamazoo and Elkhart, Fort Wayne, Kokomo and  Waynesville.  Yes friends, that’s where America thrives, out of the breast of the mid west.  

:D

That's cool! :cool:

The new phone book is here!  The new phone book is here! 

Oh, crap.  This isn't the new phone book; just a CD from some organ trio... :angry:

Whew!  I was getting nervous.  Now, if I can  convince Barb that she needs to run some errands so I can crank up the stereo... :g

lol

unfortunately for me, there have been days when a new phone book was the highlight.

Now put on Peaches and turn it up to eleven! :)

g

Got my copy of the new Big "O" disc in the mail a couple days ago, and have listened to it two – almost three times through.

GREAT job, guys!!! :tup:tup:tup:party:

The Zappa tune is primo, and I can't wait to hear the disc several times more, to really start to get my ears and head - around and inside more of the originals on the disc.

FYI: I will be out of town for the next 7 days, and totally without any internet access – so don't send out any search parties for me just cuz I ain't nowhere to be found. I'm off to some leadership training for a not-for-profit organization that I'm doing quite a bit of volunteer work for of late. I'm currently an adjunct member of their governing board, and will likely to be taking on more responsibility within the organization soon. Wish it was a paid position, but it may lead to other things - and the experience will likely be very helpful, and fulfilling too (hopefully). The org is very young (less than one year old), and growing quickly. Kind of exciting to be getting in on the ground floor of things, before anyone can say “but we’ve always done it that way before” – about anything. :P

Anyway, back on topic – I LOVE the new disc, guys, and I already can't wait for the next one. :g Let’s all hope it takes off like wildfire, and becomes the incredible success (commercially) that we all know it really already is (artistically).

Major kudos – you absolutely deserve it. :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Great job guys -- all of the kudos are well deserved. When my disc arrived, I was very excited and popped it into my walkman immediately as I commenced a few outdoor chores. Thoroughly enjoyable!

On a sidenote -- your version of Peaches En Regalia brought back sentimental memories of a group of guys I used to play in a garage band with as a kid. (We played a lot of Zappa tunes) To the point, actually, where I google-searched one of the members and came up with a hit. I had to attempt a second-hand contact (guitar store he used to work for) and am very curious as to whether or not we'll connect --- or for that matter if Danny is still walking the planet.

See what you instigated!!! ^_^

The positive reviews are stacking up a CD Baby! Many thanks to any and all who posted. By the way, our record label Big O Records will be launching a new website soon. Root Doctor will be its second release and many other fine productions will follow.

g

MARK STRYKER'S JAZZ HIGHLIGHTS: Trio organissimo set to lay down greasy grooves at Baker's

By MARK STRYKER

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

August 12, 2005

The Lansing-based organ trio organissimo has been spreading its wings of late, performing more and more frequently in metro Detroit, and that's good news for anyone who loves the life-of-the-party vibe emanating from a kick-butt Hammond organist surrounded by simpatico mates. The trio returns to Baker's Keyboard Lounge this weekend for the second time since May, and this time, the band has a new CD to plug.

"This is the Place" (Big O Records) is a gas. Organist Jim Alfredson, guitarist Joe Gloss and drummer Randy Marsh have a gift for classic soul-jazz language and a special fondness for greasy boogaloo grooves. The trio knows how to stomp the blues, bring a Latin twist to a standard ballad, turn up the heat for a rip-snorting romp in 6/8 or get down-and-dirty inside a funky-swamp beat.

Alfredson handles the organ duties with panache, guitarist Gloss' solos and accompaniment mesh wonderfully and drummer Marsh lays down a red carpet of boogie with veteran authority. There's nothing too complicated about organissimo's approach: It's music that reminds of saxophonist Johnny Griffin's aphorism that jazz is music for people who have decided to feel good in spite of conditions. It's a shame that the organizers of the annual Detroit International Jazz Festival have yet to get hip to organissimo, but perhaps this showcase gig will fuel the grassroots buzz.

MARK STRYKER'S JAZZ HIGHLIGHTS: Trio organissimo set to lay down greasy grooves at Baker's

By MARK STRYKER

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

August 12, 2005

"This is the Place" (Big O Records) is a gas. Organist Jim Alfredson, guitarist Joe Gloss and drummer Randy Marsh have a gift for classic soul-jazz language and a special fondness for greasy boogaloo grooves. The trio knows how to stomp the blues, bring a Latin twist to a standard ballad, turn up the heat for a rip-snorting romp in 6/8 or get down-and-dirty inside a funky-swamp beat.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but are there any organ-jazz cliches that Mr. Stryker left out? To my ears, the cd is a lot more than an exercise in "greasy boogaloo grooves" and "funky-swamp beats"!

Edited by Matthew

'nuther organissimo missile hit Germany today - organissimo strikes again!

Great job throughout, the growth is noticeable all around, but Joe's major leap seems the most obvious to me. Congratulations to a matured guitar player!

My favourites are Greaze Monkey (although I would have prefered the congas a little more up in the mix ;) ) and the track with tenor sax, where I like the recorded sound the best, the bass drum sounds warmer on this track.

Only minor complaints - this is everything as good as the first one - but on a more advanced level!

Thanks guys! :tup

p.s. although I paid for it, it feels to me like a gift!

Edited by mikeweil

Mike - thanks for the encouraging words. Means a lot!

Also - gslade, Mark, Tjobbe, Matthew and brownie - thanks a bunch for ordering the disc, and for the positive feedback. Love youse guys! :rsmile:

Edited by Joe G