This Is The Place

I've heard the cd about four times now. Definitely superior to the first. Will provide more detailed comments later. I've got to head to work. The first three tunes don't appeal to me as much as the others do. From track 4 on, this is as good as it gets.

I noticed it was recorded over two dates. Interesting because I feel the second half from Joe's "Intro" to "Pumpkin Pie" takes the cd to much greater heights.

Of course, I'm partial to "Tenderly," as I heard the band play this song live at least four times. Love that work on the snare, Randy, on that tune. Your solo on "Tenderly" is out of this world, Jim. Great job Joe! My god! Great tune! You guys pulled the Zappa track off great. Good rapport between Joe and Randy on several of the bottom tracks.

Great stuff! I can't wait to see you guys in Detroit next weekend...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed it was recorded over two dates.  Interesting because I feel the second half from Joe's "Intro" to "Pumpkin Pie" takes the cd to much greater heights. 

Ah yes, but remember that tunes are rarely recorded in the order that they appear on the album. Pumpkin Pie was the first tune we cut that we kept (after two tries at Wealthy St. to start the sessions on the first day) and then we did a keeper of Wealthy St.

Give the "organissimo is in the studio" thread a once-over to read about the order in which we recorded the tunes.

The CDBaby page is UP! You can now order the CD online! I am hereby closing the Level 1 Participation (at $16) but you can still buy a signed copy from us for $24 or a signed copy plus poster for $30.

ORDER YOURS TODAY!!

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/organissimo

And, those who already have a CD, if you'd like, please write a review on the CDBaby page (no pressure!) :)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/organissimo2

The CDBaby page is UP!  You can now order the CD online!  I am hereby closing the Level 1 Participation (at $16) but you can still buy a signed copy from us for $24 or a signed copy plus poster for $30. 

ORDER YOURS TODAY!!

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/organissimo

And, those who already have a CD, if you'd like, please write a review on the CDBaby page (no pressure!)  :)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/organissimo2

TREMENDOUS, the cd is fabulous! :tup (just on hearing some samples)

Finally got a listen to the who disc today. "This is the PLace" should be called "This is the Shit." But then I couldn't announce it on the radio.

I have to disagree with an early poster who mentioned that Boogaloo Sisters was derivative--I think you guys have always had a certain sound of your own, but I think this CD certainly takes that sound to a new level, your playing seems very together and sure.

I think Lazaro touches on something interesting in his notes: one of the hallmarks of your music, I think, is a tension between getting downright and dirty, and "skipping around the rhythmic hooks." That tension is what keeps interest up, and what makes the downright and dirty stuff really pay off when it comes.

Also, great work providing variety in the material, in terms of presentation--stop/starts; time changes; odd signatures; peaches; latin elements. This is a release that's going to get a lot of play here, so I'm going to have an opportunity to live with this one a while. I look forward to hearing you guys a lot over the next few months!

My Plays today: Greeze Monkey and Tenderly (listener thumbs up!).

Earlier: Peaches (two listener calls) and Brother Ray (kudos Brother Randy).

Looks like a lot of other folks have been giving you guys a test run: you are quite close to the top of our Top 30 for the week.

--eric

Jim, Joe, Randy, got my copy today what a great disc. The writing and chemistry has improved tremendously, "Greaze Monkey" and its 6/8 bridge/interlude thing had me hollering out it felt so good to hear there. The 6/8 again towards the end had the feeling of the transition to third section of PMG's "Third Wind" to my ear, very nice.

"Smoking Section", OUCH!! :excl: may cause fires if unattended! I gotta get some of the local musicians I know to hear that one. "Stomp Yo Feets" well, that tune is sooo funky that Soulive couldn't even pull a tune out their ass like that if they wanted to :D You guys are bringing da organ funky fizzle fo rizzle. "Tenderly" just beautiful, Randy I dug your Gadd like groove there :) The Zappa tune, can't say I am a fan of FZ but you guys sure made it interesting. Thanks for making an organ record that doesn't necessarily conform to the typical idea of what an organ record *should* be. And you guys gotta play my area sometime. Unfortunately I graduated so can't really help with the Harpur Jazz Project, and to be honest with the exception of the advisor, my former teacher, I have zero faith in the new membership of the HJP. None of them have jazz as a huge big thing in their life like I do :( However some new joints have opened in the area recently, so if you want info Jim, drop me a PM if you'd like.

Because of a little snafu at my local post office, I could not pick up "This Is The Place" till this morning.

I've listened to this fine collective effort twice (so far), and it's growing on me. I hope to share some of my impressions after I listen to it some more. There's plenty of tasty music played very well by all. Congratulations and thanks!

Maybe those first three tunes will grow on you, Paul. ^_^ See you at Baker's.

Maybe.

But everything is relative. The touchstone comes from the other tracks on the cd. I don't think they are as good as the tracks on the second half. But relatively speaking, it's all good music. Of course I like "Stomp Yo' Feets," and "Smoking Section."

Jim, your work on "Tenderly" is something else. I love that organ entry on your solo. It's like a cat moving at night. Beautiful. And the way the B-3 weaves around Joe's playing. Wow!

Joe shows lots of funk in many of the tracks. His sensitive playing is clear to everyone, but he can get down and dirty too! (You little rascal! :ph34r::tup:P )

I think you guys will get lot of airtime for some of these tracks.

Like everyone else, I've got to compliment Randy's harmonica work. Wow!

I sensed Joe's spirit all over "Pumpkin Pie." You know who it sounds like?

Steely Dan!

It sounds like a top-notch Steely Dan tune. Does anyone else get that impression?

It's all good, Paul!  Thanks for your impressions!  Baker's will be fun fun!

Yes it will. I'll see about bringing a digital camera. I've got one of those single-use things you buy in stores. Of course, I wouldn't know how to load the pics on the computer, but perhaps I can get some help from the younger generation...

:lol:

Got my copy today! Now I can stop staying up until 2am hoping the next tune on www.radioio.com will be an Organissimo tune I haven't heard yet.

Well, my initial assessment from the samples holds true. Honestly, a GREAT, GREAT disc. Every tune well done. I think the trademark Organissimo Ying and Yang of Jim and Joe is still intact but Joe's Yang is bit Yingier. (Out of context, that one could cause trouble for both of us.)

When people were commenting about the second half being stronger I had my doubts. I had heard Wealthy Street several times and Smokin' Section as well. Being a greazer I thought I would probably like the first half better but there is some serious playing throughout. I LOVE it!

Joe, my initial comments about you were only reinforced the more I heard. The growth is amazing. Your hard work and practice are paying off HUGELY! I don't know if I ever heard what your day job was but you can tell them on Monday that you'll be taking some time off and may never come back! Root Doctor should be auditioning B3 players as well. You guys should be going places very soon.

If other organ trios aren't crapping their pants about THIS IS THE PLACE they are definitely worried about the next Organissimo release. Organissimo are definitely taking it to higher levels.

Finally got a listen to the who disc today. "This is the PLace" should be called "This is the Shit." But then I couldn't announce it on the radio.

I have to disagree with an early poster who mentioned that Boogaloo Sisters was derivative--I think you guys have always had a certain sound of your own, but I think this CD certainly takes that sound to a new level, your playing seems very together and sure.

I think Lazaro touches on something interesting in his notes: one of the hallmarks of your music, I think, is a tension between getting downright and dirty, and "skipping around the rhythmic hooks." That tension is what keeps interest up, and what makes the downright and dirty stuff really pay off when it comes.

Also, great work providing variety in the material, in terms of presentation--stop/starts; time changes; odd signatures; peaches; latin elements. This is a release that's going to get a lot of play here, so I'm going to have an opportunity to live with this one a while. I look forward to hearing you guys a lot over the next few months!

My Plays today: Greeze Monkey and Tenderly (listener thumbs up!).

Earlier: Peaches (two listener calls) and Brother Ray (kudos Brother Randy).

Looks like a lot of other folks have been giving you guys a test run: you are quite close to the top of our Top 30 for the week.

--eric

Thanks Eric. :)