The Vault is about to be opened...

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

from what I know about Silver, he'll probably want to charge by the minute for anybody visiting his site -

How do get that from him? He doesn’t appear to be money hungry. Yeah, he has had a stella career in terms of success and realities, but goes hand in hand with being a good business man. He owns the rights to all but 3 of his compositions. He's made enough money where he doesn't need to tour.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Allen, I can't see this being true. Can you say the bassist's name?

I can tell you one. The last time Horace Silver played in NYC, May 2004, I was at one show. The band just walked on stage and then the PA system started to blast Kool and the Gags', "Too Hot"(I believe that’s the title). They were just about to start playing and had to wait till the PA got shut off. I don't remember who in the band said to Horace, "How about this tune?" Horace tilted his head up to listen. I had no Idea what he meant. Horace said, okay. Near the end of the show Horace started to play “Too Hot” in his solo, and it fit perfect. After the tune finished, Horace stood up and was handed what looked like a ten dollar bill from one of the horn players and stuck it in his pocket. I guess they had a bet if he could somehow work that tune into his solo.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Allen, I can't see this being true. Can you say the bassist's name?

I can tell you one. The last time Horace Silver played in NYC, May 2004, I was at one show. The band just walked on stage and then the PA system started to blast Kool and the Gags', "Too Hot"(I believe that’s the title). They were just about to start playing and had to wait till the PA got shut off. I don't remember who in the band said to Horace, "How about this tune?" Horace tilted his head up to listen. I had no Idea what he meant. Horace said, okay. Near the end of the show Horace started to play “Too Hot” in his solo, and it fit perfect. After the tune finished, Horace stood up and was handed what looked like a ten dollar bill from one of the horn players and stuck it in his pocket. I guess they had a bet if he could somehow work that tune into his solo.

That is a totally wonderful story. Thanks HBJ.

MG

I can't give the name, but I'm absolutely certain the story is true - as I got it directly from the musician - well, everybody's got their own quirks -

Considering that if somehow Horace Silver did hear about this he would instantly know the person you were talking about anyways, what is the harm in actually saying the name?

he probably send bills to ALL his musicians -

What's wrong with that? James Brown fined his musicians if they were late onto the stand or played a bum note.

Silver and Brown are businessmen - successful ones. Creed Taylor spent money like a drunken sailor and CTI went belly up.

MG

I never experienced a bandleader charging me for demo material of music we were supposed to play, no matter if the gig took place or not. If it's true, it certainly is exaggerated. If you want the guys to play the music, you have to provide them with the necessary materials. That's part of the cost of the leader - period. Can you imagine the Duke charging his men for the sheet music? Ridiculous ....