Do you borrow / lend out cds from your collection?

Soulstation1

I both loan and borrow. Was a time when I lost about 2 or 3 common discs every year, from loaning things - and forgetting who had what. But never anything important (I never loan rare discs out, unless they're to somebody I've known for a long time.) For instance, I'll loan KOB out to anybody (even people I haven't known for very long), with the expectation that every other year I'll have to replace it. No biggie. Same with other really common titles that are always cheap to replace with easy-to-find used copies. I'll even "pre-replace" something, if I find a REALLY good deal on a used copy.

And there's a couple guys I know who at any given time, have about ten or twenty of my discs -- and I probably have ten or twenty of theirs. But loaning stuff out in those kinds of volumes is reserved for only about 3 guys I know. I'll loan 'em rare stuff too, for the most part.

Used to lend out LPs all the time back in the day. But it was only within a small circle of anally retentive sharp needled discwasher weilding friends.

I mostly push silly compilations onto my friends who would never even consider requesting anything from my collection as they deem most to be too weird. I have however been thinking about asking if anyone might have any Ellington, Mingus and Roach all on one disc?

Used to lend out LPs all the time back in the day. But it was only within a small circle of anally retentive sharp needled discwasher weilding friends.

I mostly push silly compilations onto my friends who would never even consider requesting anything from my collection as they deem most to be too weird. I have however been thinking about asking if anyone might have any Ellington, Mingus and Roach all on one disc?

:lol:

:blink:

:g

Only to one friend who does not have the money to buy her own CDs. Meaning on a really tight budget due to losing her job. So, I do let her borrow my CDs and she has an excellent record of returning them to me!

From time to time, I'll make a friend a brief jazz "sampler" of a particular artist to encourage him/her to purchase recordings of that particular artist. For example, a friend of mine had not heard of baritone saxophonist Ronnie Cuber. I took a few cuts off of some of his CDs and gave the CD to my friend. He is now a fan and I believe has already purchased Cuber's CDs on line!

Marla

I lend cds out a fair amount, but usually only to trusted guitar students. Sure, I have lost my fair share by doing this, but it is worth the price of creating many more 15 year old Miles, Voltrane, Jaco, Jeff Beck, BB King, SRV etc.. fans. Especially when we are talking about poor 14 year olds, as they all are. Turning someone on to jazz or blues or even better rock is welll worth the small price of occasionally losing a disc.

I lent out a rare LP once - and it was ruined, not by the friend I gave it to, but someone else in the house who didn't care for putting them back into their jackets. Never did it again.

CDs I give to a handful of trusted friends who treat them as carefully as I do and know the value of a rarity, and I never was disappointed - in return they will give me some from their collection whenever I ask for it.

I used to loan cds to a few trusted friends on occasion. However, even my trusted friends don't care for them as methodically as I do. The discs would come back with scratches all over the bottom, as if they'd spent time out of their jewel cases/not in a player or were played in car stereos. They'd play fine, but damn!

Once a trusted friend borrowed and scratched one of my Willie Bobo records, right through the track that I told him to listen to. :angry:

More recently I've been making compilation cdrs when I want to share tunes. No more loaning.

Edited by Noj

I've lost far too many books over the years by loaning them to

friends who asked.

Me too, though it's only happened a couple of times it's still too many. I used to have a copy of the self published first edition of Roddy Doyle's The Commitments till I loaned it to someone. I lend cds sometimes but usually make a back up first.

Edited by medjuck

I have however been thinking about asking if anyone might have any Ellington, Mingus and Roach all on one disc?

Ask Aric...

:lol:

I used to lend discs out occasionally (never LPs), but stopped getting them back and therefore stopped lending. I do have a friend who lent me records when he lived nearby, and would tell me to keep them longer if I tried to return them!

I might... if someone asked. -_-

Seriously, it's so much easier to burn a disc these days (I know - another thread!). I do have a few friends who i would trust with my discs and they would trust me with theirs - but not many.

A few years ago I met a guy on the old BN board who lives here in town. He bought something from me, we hooked up for lunch, and hit it off. I had only recently at that time become familiar with Mosaic Records and was rabidly seeking out some of their oop sets. He had many of them, all oop and very expensive, and offered to let me borrow them. He wasn't able to burn CDRs at the time, so he just just gave them to me, four or five sets at a time. I was stunned as this was someone I had met only once or twice but who trusted me enough with what would have been hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of CDs. I treated them well, of course, and tried to return them asap (i was so concerned that something would happen to them), but he never once called or pressured me into getting them back to him. After that I couldn't not loan him a few discs as well, but overall it was a very one-sided trade in my favor and I think it was much harder for me to let my discs out of my possession than him his.

I have a whole box of duplicates, copies of CDs that I've repurchased in RVG form, new reissues, etc.

I frequently give these away to students/friends, if it's something they want or something I want them to hear. When I started out with jazz, friends gave/lent me stuff to listen to, and that meant a lot to me. I feel like I'm continuing a tradition, like it's good karma. Nothing quite like giving a young jazz fan their first copy of KOB (or whatever).

If someone with whom I have a reasonable level of trust asks to borrow something, I will let them. If they keep it or lose it, that's just life. No big deal, it's just "stuff". If I ever borrow something I assume total responsibility for it- I've replaced cracked jewel cases etc. I don't borrow very much- I can barely keep up with my own purchases!

That being said, some of the more valuable items don't leave the house- Mosiacs, rare items etc. I don't even like taking the Mosaics out of the house myself- the boxes show wear quickly.

Usually I just give discs to two good friends. Nobody else closeby would have much interest...

I give those two pretty much anything, knowing that I'll get it back, and knowing I can have whatever from them, too (including stuff like OOP FMP LPs or large boxes of classical music...)

They usually even replace broken jewel cases without me having to ask for...

I also gave someone else a Mosaic (the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh) with no fear - I got several LPs from him for a lengthy time period, stuff like Tristano's Maelstrom and a Braxton Arista, as well as other rare items.

Never really lost anything, just one or two pop/funk discs, ten years ago. It's more likely that I consider something lost that I just misplaced somewhere within my own collection (right now that's Sheila Jordan's "Portrait of Sheila", but I'm pretty sure one day it will turn up again).