True Confessions!

gdogus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't have to confess anything. From an academic point of view there are some big holes in pre bop era, vocal music and in the free jazz avantgarde of late sixties/early seventies. Years ago I decided I had to explore the land outside my preferred music, so I bought some of the 'essential' set like RCA Ellington, Hot Sive and Seven, Mosaic like Django and Bix, ecc. I don't listen to them very often, nor I acquired a better view of History of Jazz. I would say that the only set I regularly listen to is Billie Holyday. Anyway I like a lot of music after the 60's: Jarrett, Zorn, the electric Miles, ecc.

It's the same for classical music, I can't dig most of pre Mozart music, and of Mozart I prefer his late works. Mahler and Bruckner are the other time border, after that I appreciate few things. I don't like Opera, a part Rossini and Mozart.

I don't feel guilty about it. I am a music lover, not a teacher, producer, musician, critic, ecc..

You can put it in this way: An alcohlic is different from sommelier. :P:crazy::P

BTW I have some Organissimo records. :P

I've always made it a practice to stay away from Jazz Giants on the understanding that I'd never have any difficulty buying albums by Trane, Duke, Armstrong etc, whereas trying to put together complete collections of John Patton, Don Wilkerson, Baby Face Willette, Lonnie Smith, Grant Green, Houston Person, Charles Kynard, Sam Lazar, Freddie Roach etc etc seemed like a priority, since there was little doubt in my mind that those guys albums would be bloody hard to get if I didn't buy them whenever I had the opportunity.

Of course, after 40 odd years of approximate neglect, I have so many Giant holes in my collection that I'm rather proud of the following list, which I've put together through reading the earlier posts (to find out who these Giants are). Only the first two on the list do I regret not having any records of, and I intend to put that right later in the year.

I suppose I ought to add Count Basie to the list, since the only Basie record I have is the album he made backing up Arthur Prysock. I do have two Bird albums. One Ornette. The other Giants are mainly in the "few" category. Only Stitt (Soul Jazz Stitt mainly, of course), Dex, Sonny Criss, Hank Mobley, Hamp Hawes and Pharoah Sanders are major artists in my collection.

Here's the list

Jelly Roll Morton

King Oliver

Bessie Smith

Billie Holiday

Ella Fitzgerald

Miles Davis

Fletcher Henderson

Jimmy Lunceford

Roy Eldridge

Stan Getz

Chet Baker

Bix Beiderbecke

Gerry Mulligan

Art Tatum

Albert Ayler

Cecil Taylor

Errol Garner

Archie Shepp

Jim Hall

Tal Farlow

Barney Kessel

Shelley Manne

Gil Evans

Lee Konitz

Art Pepper

Sarah Vaughn

MG

This thread just illustrates how we are all drawn toward a common purpose; the appreciation of jazz. Yet in doing this we all realise how expansive that appreciation becomes. I suppose that's one of the beautiful things about the music, like a journey into unknown territory, unsure of which paths to take for whatever reason.

Those gaping holes are just avenues which didn't seem appropriate at the time but one day you'll turn back and wander down them.

Just take your Organissimo map with you! :)(and a whistle if you get lost)

This thread just illustrates how we are all drawn toward a common purpose; the appreciation of jazz. Yet in doing this we all realise how expansive that appreciation becomes. I suppose that's one of the beautiful things about the music, like a journey into unknown territory, unsure of which paths to take for whatever reason.

Those gaping holes are just avenues which didn't seem appropriate at the time but one day you'll turn back and wander down them.

Just take your Organissimo map with you! :)(and a whistle if you get lost)

Hear hear!

MG

Not even a single disc by:

Earl Hines (will remedy that soon!)

Randy Weston (need to remedy that for sure)

Horace Parlan (thinking about getting the Mosaic eventually)

Stan Kenton

Chet Baker

Benny Goodman

Nat King Cole

Keith Jarrett

Gerry Mulligan

Errol Garner

Jimmy Guiffre

Ahmad Jamal

Lonnie Smith

Also, no Stan Getz other than a few old LPs that I borrowed from my father.

Until recently, I was also very light on pre-bebop "early" jazz. Now I have a good start on Armstrong, Bechet, Basie, Ellington, Beiderbecke, Eldridge, Hawkins, James P. Johnson, Jelly Roll Morton, etc. Gunther Schuller's Early Jazz, plus some very helpful suggestions from fellow board members helped make it easier to appreciate and understand. I have also found that having at least a basic familiarity with the earlier stuff helps me get even more enjoyment out of the "later" music in my collection.

Off the top of my head...

Ella Fitzgerald

Chris Connor

Jimmie Lunceford

Chu Berry

Chick Webb

Horace Parlan

Blue Mitchell (but in my yourmusic queue)

Junior Mance

Archie Shepp

Albert Ayler

Sonny Stitt

Al Cohn (again, but in my yourmusic queue)

Nancy Wilson

Jimmy Rushing

Lester Young

Bob Brookmeyer

Pepper Adams

Sylvia Sims

The Modernaires

Art Tatum (Hi Red!)

Sidney Bechet

Kid Ory

Jelly Roll Morton

Lu Watters

Earl Fatha Hines

Edited by GA Russell

No Armstrong, Basie, Goodman, Tatum or Waller...

.....1 Dizzy...

....1 Ellington...

......no Coltrane Impulse years...

.....no Pharoah, Shepp or Ornette....

.....no post-'66 Miles.....

....nor SUN RA.....

No wonder you post that silly crap in the political thread. :cool:

ouch and ZINGA!

:rofl:

Stuff on the Sonny Rollins Prestige box apart, I own nothing led by Miles. Nor any Stan Getz.

Not by design, nor because I'm rabidly 'anti' either, but they're pretty egregious omissions.

On which note, anyone without any Tatum should be shot ;)

Got it - some of the solo and group masterpieces on Pablo, and some of the solo stuff on Columbia (whew!)

Now about that Miles... :rcry