Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions

1348922063_900.jpg

That boxset is really good. And there are various DSM covers too.

It's been a number of years since I listened to this. I had forgotten how good it is. Those DSM covers are are very nice. Nicely packaged set.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

charles-mingus-the-complete-debut-record

Trying not to LOL at thinking that what if Jackie Paris had been Tony Bennett and vice-versa...I'm glad it ended up like it did, but still, it's a hoot to think about.

I love Mingus, really love him, and this is the one chapter that I never had a really clear picture of, so...good times ahead.

70726f647563742f32303134303532375f623730

A good chance to hear the different approaches of two jazz greats towards working with Miles Davis (there are two concerts here: one with the Kind of Blue band minus Cannonball Adderley, with Coltrane, and the other with Stitt substituting Coltrane). One outblazing Miles completely and the other allowing him to shine on his own. Both are great.

41eTCzutR5L._SX355_.jpg

One more before bed:

Art Tatum - Complete Brunswick & Decca Recordings 1932-1941 (Affinity); disc three. I don't like the mastering of this set - all the surface noise has been filtered out, leaving the music sounding kind of hollow. But I can live with it for the chance to hear this incredible music in its entirety.

41eTCzutR5L._SX355_.jpg

One more before bed:

Art Tatum - Complete Brunswick & Decca Recordings 1932-1941 (Affinity); disc three. I don't like the mastering of this set - all the surface noise has been filtered out, leaving the music sounding kind of hollow. But I can live with it for the chance to hear this incredible music in its entirety.

I have a single Affinity disc taken from this plus a handful of sides on 78. I do think these are amongst Tatum's finest sides. I don't no why Tatum wasn't ever really recorded well.

Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions

1348922063_900.jpg

I didn't know this box existed until reading this thread. i found a used copy of this on bullmoose. What great music and very good sound. I need to find a reasonably priced Complete Jazz At The Philharmonic1944-53 now.

• 2 weeks later...