Suggest Some Andrew Hill

Teasing the Korean

Thanks for the quick replies! We're off to a good start!

2 questions:

1 - Did AH ever record with Bobby Hutcherson?

Judgment, Andrew!!!, Dialogue (a Bobby H album)

2 - Did AH record much as a sideman for Blue Note? I don't think any of my Blue Note LPs have him as a sideman, but then again I still have many to get.

He appeared on Dialogue, Hank Mobley's No Room for Squares, and Joe Henderson's Our Thing.

Guy

Andrew also recorded with Hutch for Eternal Spirit (for the reformed BN--that one is OOP, though...).

And also on Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Domino, Jimmy Woods, Conflict, Russel Baba, Earth Prayer, Reggie Workman, Summit Conference and Johnny Hartman, Sittin In At Jorgie's Jazz Club. All worth mentioning IMO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 questions:

2 - Did AH record much as a sideman for Blue Note? I don't think any of my Blue Note LPs have him as a sideman, but then again I still have many to get.

He appeared on Dialogue, Hank Mobley's No Room for Squares, and Joe Henderson's Our Thing.

Guy

Andrew also recorded with Hutch for Eternal Spirit (for the reformed BN--that one is OOP, though...).

And also on Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Domino, Jimmy Woods, Conflict, Russel Baba, Earth Prayer, Reggie Workman, Summit Conference and Johnny Hartman, Sittin In At Jorgie's Jazz Club. All worth mentioning IMO.

Almost forgot Walt Dickerson, To My Queen, a very enjoyable recording.

Summit Conference is excellent.

It's a sleeper session that never seems to get discussed. I was taken aback on first listen--AkLaff puts in some extremely abstract playing on that one, and Hill sounds less buoyant, even more rhythmic than usual--but the more I hear it the more I'm touched. It's such a powerful session from a number of seasoned, if still potent, masters. All this goes to prove that Reggie Workman is one of the most exciting and underrated bandleaders (no one really kept track of this ascension, huh?) in recent years--I mean, to pull a session like that off in these years is amazing (and here I thought that a roster of this magnitude could only be wrangled into something so exacting and organic in the 60's or 70's).

Summit Conference is indeed excellent. -- Did anyone mention Greg Osby's Invisible Hand? Can't say it's a great place to hear Hill (Osby hogs the limelight to the point that his pal Gary Thomas gets, like, one solo) but one to add to the list of Hill sideman appearances.

Despite the hype I don't think Dusk or Passing Ships are among Hill's best work. Time Lines is superb, though. (Haven't heard A Beautiful Day.) -- But of Hill's recordings I think the initial bunch of records for Blue Note are the essential starting-place: Black Fire, Point of Departure, Andrew!!!, Judgment!, Smokestack. & Shades is excellent, among the later albums.

my intro to Hill was getting the CD of "Our thing" in the late 1980s. I was new to jazz but his style drew he in instantly.. It's still a very good place to hear Hill to advantage. The only Hill I've found less than compelling have been some solo stuff (From california with love).

its not like I've ever heard any bad Andrew Hill albums.

I've probably heard 80% (maybe 85%) of the man's officially released material (sideman dates included), and there's probably only 2 or maybe 3 titles that I find anything less than compelling.

(You probably want me to name names... I've never gotten as deeply into "Smokestack" as all of the rest of his BN output. And "Shades" has never quite done it for me (though I know it's a favorite of several people here). And I guess the third one is "Nefertiti" - which suffers from having a drummer who isn't quite in Hill's and Richard Davis' league.)

Not everything the man touches turns to gold, but man -- nearly everything he's done is WAY interesting, quite a bit is "great" -- and most of it's pretty damn good.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

how is jimmy woods' conflict?

it's over on emusic

'Conflict' is a killer album! It's also out on OJC!

One to get...

I'll second that. Conflict is fantastic!!!

Make sure you get the more recent OJC (and not the expensive Japanese import), cuz the new OJC has three bonus tracks, of about 20-minutes extra material. (The bonus is not on the import issue.)

For 70's stuff, the Live at Montreux solo recording is very good too, IMO. As is Blue Black.

Haven't heard the live stuff, but I really like "Blue Black".

Another recording from the 70's, Spiral, is available as a free (MP3) download, direct from AndrewHillJazz.com. There are also some excerpts from other recordings here.

All good stuff. Buy all of it, and be glad that most (maybe even all, eventually) of the material that was on Mosaic's Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions is readily available as RVGs and Conns.

Guest the mommy

yeah when i say "you" might like shades, i don't personally like it. it has a very 80s cleaner/relaxed/less adventerous feel and i don't like the rhythm section.

rooster, why rip the dip on roger blank? that guy knows his way around a drum kit. it is a shame he did not record more outside of the sun ra universe.

point of departure never really sparked a passionate fire inside my belly in any way but i guess it should be near the top of the list for someone starting their hill collection. perhaps that one and one of the good quartet ones (judgement/black fire).

rooster, why rip the dip on roger blank? that guy knows his way around a drum kit. it is a shame he did not record more outside of the sun ra universe.

I concur on all points.

Also, he has a name like a spy (sent from Saturn?).

Maybe I'm confusing that date with another one. There's one Hill trio date (from the 70's, or maybe the early 80's) where the drummer doesn't have a clue (or at least didn't fit with the rest of the group). I was at work when posting my earlier comments, and I should have waited to check my discs at home before singling out that third disc.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

yeah when i say "you" might like shades, i don't personally like it. it has a very 80s cleaner/relaxed/less adventerous feel and i don't like the rhythm section.

I was about to write essentially the same thing. Shades isn't a bad session per se--just relatively underwhelming and rather conventional for Hill (who is otherwise a rather idiosyncratic voice). Much better "conventional" Hill can be found on Eternal Spirit, which is far more harmonically "in the pocket" than the early BNs--but at the same time just as rhythmically intricate, dark, and grainy as his more "beloved" sides.

Also--I wouldn't dig on Blank, although I've never really "cliked" with Nefertiti (I enjoy it, but I don't think it's every gotten my pulse racing). Frankly, I think it's an issue with the recording (Davis so up in the mix he sounds rubbery).

I was about to write essentially the same thing. Shades isn't a bad session per se--just relatively underwhelming and rather conventional for Hill (who is otherwise a rather idiosyncratic voice). Much better "conventional" Hill can be found on Eternal Spirit, which is far more harmonically "in the pocket" than the early BNs--but at the same time just as rhythmically intricate, dark, and grainy as his more "beloved" sides.

Ha - I see it completely the opposite - I am going to have to re-listen - has been a while on both.

To be fair, I'm still of the mind that Hill did some of his best work on Soul Note--I just can't cope with Shades. At the same time, far be it from me to deify all the BNs (including the more recent entries)--I just happen to feel that they're generally really good (but there are some that I've never gotten into--Grass Roots, for one).

I'm not about to suggest that I'm "right" about this, but to me -- "Shades" is just a shade too conventional. It's certainly not a bad album, but it's not got a lot of what I pick up an Andrew Hill album for (whatever that means :P ).

There are a few people here who love it, and I certainly won't take that away from them. But for me, "Shades" is one of the Hill dates I spin the very least out of all of them.

2 questions:

Guy

Hill's also on Walt Dickerson's To My Queen.